best time to travel to northern Minnesota/Michigan

mattbaxx

Recycles dryer sheets
DW and I will travel at some point in 2022 in our class B RV to far northern Minnesota and Michigan to a couple of national parks, and I need advice on the best/worst times. I know we don't want the middle of winter, but what's the cut off in the fall to avoid it? Is humidity the worst part of summer? Thanks for your thoughts!

Bugs can be bad in Spring, super early Spring can be refreshing and it's too early for bugs.

Otherwise, I think the best time is last week of July, first wk of August. Weather is nice, and the water is warm enough to swim.

October can be pretty chilly and forget about swimming. However there are no more bugs as the cold nights kill them.

Early spring or later fall is the time to go. We joke that the Minnesota state bird is the mosquito and northern Minnesota has a lot of them - big ones!

One of the best times is right after Labor Day. Unfortunately, even by then, the weather can be a little risky. However, those first couple weeks in September can be very nice if your luck holds out. My friend has a golf outing that he participates in with a group of old work buddies. They spend about 3 nights and 4 days in the U.P. of Michigan early September and it usually goes well.

Generally, schools are in session up to at least Memorial Day and after Labor day, so vehicle traffic is reduced and crowds at kid-oriented sites also. Call your target parks and ask when their crowds peak and diminish. You can check the online climate data to see how you like those times. For ourselves, we consider May and September to be entirely comfortable weather, and in September a nice overnight mosquito-abatement frost is not uncommon.

DW and I will travel at some point in 2022 in our class B RV to far northern Minnesota and Michigan to a couple of national parks, and I need advice on the best/worst times. I know we don't want the middle of winter, but what's the cut off in the fall to avoid it? Is humidity the worst part of summer? Thanks for your thoughts!

There is never a good time to come here. Stay away and tell all of your friends not to come here either. You won’t like it. :)

September and October are good times for hiking,biking outdoorsy type activities. July and August are hot, humid and buggy but good for water sports. Practice up on your “ yeahhh shuuurr, you betcha” and no one will know that you aren’t from around here....

Michigan's Upper Peninsula is beautiful.

Beware the ravenous horse flies and mosquitoes (both of which left me with giant, itchy welts that lasted more than a week or so), this was in early July.

My experienced and hardy camping/canoeing friends abandoned their northern Minnesota trip midway, due to the horse flies and mosquitos in the summertime.

omni

MattB,
Late September or even early October.
No bugs or school aged kids.
Hope you hit a nice stretch of late fall weather. Nights could get cold = good sleeping bag weather.
Good luck, JP

We live in northern MN- right after Labor Day or June is best. Crowds way down in the fall, but they are nothing like larger parks and cities.

Horse flies are annoying July and through mid-August if you are in a wooded area. Mosquitos can be controlled with repellent that has deet.

Fall is beautiful and late Sept is best for colors usually. Days are usually still quite comfortable with cooler nights.

If you get a chance, get to Grand Marais. Beautiful place to visit.

The "lost 40 Scientific and Natural area" is worth a visit also in Itasca county.

Would recommend Cascade River State Park if you can get an RV spot yet- book early.

We did 2 road trips - circled Lake Michigan first week of September in 2014, and circled Lake Superior first week of October in 2019. Both were fine, but I would prefer to do right after Labor Day if we go up there again.

My original RV travel plan for 2020 was to Minnesota and the Michigan UP. And I was going to start out from home in June or so. Of course, all that was shelved with the Covid breakout.

The trip is still in the burner, although I don't know when I can do it. But now, thanks to this thread, I know to do it in late summer or early fall.

We live in Minnesota and like to go up to Lake Superior specifically mid-September through about mid-October. The weather is still warm yet the biting flies and families are largely tamed.

I live in the U.P. of Michigan. If I wanted to come here for a visit, and enjoy the parks with reasonably warm weather, I'd probably come around the first week of August or so. The bugs are somewhat less of a problem by then, and it's usually still fairly warm. If you want Fall colors, come in late September, but late September can be cool and rainy. Last year, we had snow in early October, so I would not come in October unless you are prepared for cool weather and possible cold rain/snow.

Each year is a little different, so it's a bit of a crap shoot, but in most years, August will have decent weather.

How fun. Love the RV! Surprised nobody has come up with this before. The concept isn't that different from the Duck Boats that are for tourists in San Diego, Wisconsin Dells, Seattle etc... and are both tour bus and boat.

Agree with September or October. It is beautiful then! Prepare for bugs.

In line with other comments, early September if you don't mind it being a bit chilly, potentially. I'm sailing in northern WI every chance I get over the summers, with forays to the north shore of MN, and Keweenaw Peninsula, MI in August this year. Grand Marais MN many times, including mid-Sept last year. Anywhere within the microclimate of Lake Superior means preparing for 30F-90F in the shoulder seasons, lol.

Back
Top Bottom