Bicycle Safety PSA

Brdofpray

Recycles dryer sheets
Just got back from BRAG (bike ride across Georgia). On day 2, I was descending a rather steep hill, that had an unseen hairpin, right turn at the bottom. I slowed as much as I could, but I knew I wouldn’t make the turn. I chose a grassy ditch, and laid the bike down. I slid in on my right side. I bruised my right thigh, hit my right shoulder, just before my head hit. My helmet cracked in multiple places. I sat up, took stock of things. My bike did not have a scratch. I had zero road rash. My hip was protected by two bags of Cheetos I was carrying for snacks after the ride. These mini airbags exploded in my rear pocket. I had Cheeto croutons everywhere. I ended up getting back on my bike and completing, not just that day, but the rest of the week.

The point of all of this is my helmet. It was a MIPS (multi-directional impact protection system) helmet. The inner lining shifted, rotated just as advertised, dispersing the forces of the crash. I am convinced, I dodged a life altering, if not life ending, event because of this advancement in helmet technology.

For all you cyclers, I would not just recommend a MIPS, I would say you owe it to yourself and your family!!

I trust that you have replaced it ASAP. Glad you made out OK. My fall was not nearly as good and I tore both rotator cuffs, requiring surgeries.

Quite a while back I replaced my helmet with a MIPS helmet. Fortunately, it hasn't been "tested" yet. Most importantly, of course, glad that your bike is OK! :LOL:

Wow pretty exciting OP. Glad it worked out well.

I always wore a helmet when biking, even though you can see lots of people who don't. I don't know what MIPs are, but I don't bike here as the drivers are too crazy and too busy texting.

I know a fellow, when he was ~16, he was biking without a helmet as many kids do and I did when 16. He and a car did a left turn onto a street, with him going along the side of car on the outer side, so he would end up near the sidewalk. Well the car went too wide and bumped him and he hit the curb and fell smacking his head. He basically became slightly retarded and had his life altered forever.

It's still amazing I see people zipping along at 25 mph on these electric scooter boards and zero protection. It's all fun until one falls.

I’m on a bike tour in Italy and an very cognizant of declining spacial stability on turns. I have slowed way down after feeling that not gonna make it perception building. MIPS helmets a must.

Glad to hear your OK. DW and I are on a self contained tour right now on roads and trails. Our longest part of our tour is Cleveland to Cincinnati.

Since I feel practicing Active Transportation has been one of my best life choices, I am pleased to read that your recommendation is to enhance safety vs stop biking.

While most of us have had a car, sport and or walking accidents/collisions, biking accident/collisions always seem to result in a justification by some for why they elect not to bike. Yet a motor vehicle collision is just a brief life interruption.

MIP helmets are a worthwhile choice. So, is taking the time to learn how to safely bike on roads. The League of American Bicyclists has a series of online videos that require no more than 30 minutes. You may have someone in your area that has passed their certification course and teaches a safety class. Your nearest advocacy group can guide you and every state has at least one advocacy group.

In the meantime, know that biking in the street is safer than the sidewalk in nearly all cases. And intersections and driveways, where motor vehicles are turning and motorists are needing to make many decisions quickly, are the most likely place for a collision. Do your best to be on the part of the road to be most visible to them. You will see examples in the LAB videos, your over 100 year national biking advocacy group.

I plan to keep biking for pleasure and transportation for all of the health benefits. I will continue to advocate locally and nationally so that biking is safer. We are making slow progress in the USA. More active support will go a long way.

<------------ See my Avatar. You needed this sign on your route.

OP, glad you are OK. I haven't upgraded my helmet in years. My knees have not been nice to me, so I'm doing less riding.

I had a friend in a similar situation to yours that ended up with an artificial hip after it was all over. Your secret was the Cheeto bags. :LOL: Seriously, he hit something, a curb I think, that was very hard.

I think the unsung heroes of this story are the Cheetos. All hail Frito Lay!

I had read so much about why a helmet wasn't really necessary (and it was even detrimental!) that I was on the fence about wearing one. But having crashed head on into a metal fence a couple years ago, and broke my wrist in another accident a few years before that, I am indeed a believer. And as I get older (I'm only 46!) I'm realizing I'm not quite as capable as I used to be.

Glad you are Ok, OP.
continue wearing as much safety equipment as you can--helmets, padded gloves, elbow pads, etc.
As an RN, I have cared for too many who didn't.

Just got back from BRAG (bike ride across Georgia). On day 2, I was descending a rather steep hill, that had an unseen hairpin, right turn at the bottom. I slowed as much as I could, but I knew I wouldn’t make the turn. I chose a grassy ditch, and laid the bike down...

If you don't mind my asking, what was your speed heading into the turn before you started braking and how slow would you need to have been going to negotiate the turn safely? I'm not judging you at all. You made the best out of a bad situation. But I try to use all cycling incidents I hear about as a guide for my own riding going forward. Glad you're OK.

PS. I do ride with a MIPS helmet, but also try to give myself a little bit of extra safety margin when riding an unfamiliar road/trail.

I've never heard of MIPS before. Now think I need a new helmet.

Was the bags of Cheetos by design or just lucky? If by design, was genius :D.

Earlier in the day we had a very steep, downhill that was straight as an arrow, new pavement and you could see the bottom. Without pedaling, I topped 50mph. This was a wow moment, and got me jazzed from that experience. The hill I went down on was a shorter, steep hill. The road made a sweeping left turn, followed by a hairpin right at the bottom. Yes, I was going too fast on an unfamiliar road. I feel like a complete idiot for not reigning things in. I was around 35 to 40mph heading down. When I saw the turn, I began pumping my disc brakes to scrub speed. Not enough. I saw no oncoming traffic, so I drifted my line in the curve left. At that moment I knew I was going down. I locked the back wheel, still pumping the front, and chose the grassy ditch rather than the pavement. I went down at around 10-15mph sliding into the ditch on my right side.

They say crashes happen in a blink of an eye. This one seemed to play out in slow motion. In retrospect, I think my ego was bruised more than my body. I have now redoubled my efforts to take extra care on unfamiliar roads. I will not ride with out a MIPS helmet. If this experience helps anyone else, I will count that as a win. I am indeed blessed!

Earlier in the day we had a very steep, downhill that was straight as an arrow, new pavement and you could see the bottom. Without pedaling, I topped 50mph...

Wow indeed. I don't think I've ever gotten over 45 on my bike (and was semi-terrified at that point). From your description it sounds like you managed the emergency very well. Going down at 15, while unpleasant, is much less lethal than at 40+.

Besides a good helmet, for anyone riding on the streets on needs a decent flashing headlight and 2 flashing taillights. At least in my neck of the woods, in perfect daylight weather a cyclist is still invisible to drivers. When they're not texting, drivers at best look for other cars, maybe pedestrians in a crosswalk, but just don't see cyclists. At least the flashing lights improve the odds.

Even on my new-ish rockhopper with street tires I get freaked at 35 and will curb my enthusiasm.
My bad fall was at slow speed and avoiding hitting a pedestrian who just darted out in front of me.
Arms out bam torn rotator cuffs. I cannot say if hitting them would have been better for me but I don't think like that anyway.
I had one other accident in Seattle. I was hauling down Western Ave and a Prius just flipped a U-turn right in front of me. I was doing 20 plus and had time to get on the binders and slide broadside into his car, removing the right mirror with my left forearm without injury.
he had no clue. He was terrified. the window goes down and I reach down, pick up his mirror and toss it on the passenger seat and inform him that there are no circumstances that a U-turn is legal or safe.
He just had to get that parking spot. I was all flashing lights and reflective gear and safety shirt too. I work in construction and my work safety shirts are handy for that.
Luckily I was unharmed and as was posted above, the bike was OK :)
After my injury wreck I unclipped in town and wear MTB boots and got convertible pedals.
I reserve my cycling shoes for away from the city riding.

U turn at a traffic signal is legal unless posted otherwise in CA.
I assume car drivers are trying to kill me.
At least with the motorcycle I can keep up with traffic.

I wonder if you had just leaned it in more if you could have made it around.
If not a low side crash might not have been so bad.
At least you are OK. That is what counts.

I handled bike safety by giving away my bike a long time ago.

Having said that, I applaud those who ride and use the best protection available - even if it's Cheetos. You ought to call Cheetos and see if they want to do a commercial with you.:cool:

U turn at a traffic signal is legal unless posted otherwise in CA.
I assume car drivers are trying to kill me.
At least with the motorcycle I can keep up with traffic.

I wonder if you had just leaned it in more if you could have made it around.
If not a low side crash might not have been so bad.
At least you are OK. That is what counts.

you can U-turn if the traffic light is labeled for that at a left turn signal. This was just a middle of the block " OMG a parking spot"
Going around him would have meant going under his bumper and tires, no thanks. I sure did not have time to turn into traffic and try to go behind him, like that would ever be a good idea.
"whew I missed the prius and now I'm a hood ornament on that lifted pickup truck."

I'm trying to parse out why you would second guess somebody else's crash?

Low side crash and I go under his back tire. That sounds like fun too. It's not a motorcycle that can keep you from going under.

Glad you are okay! And glad you wear a helmet! You avoided a very serious injury. Years ago I stupidly went out for a an early morning ride on Thanksgiving morning in the chilly northeast not really realizing the streets had black ice, I skidded and ended up hitting my head on the curb. The helmet cracked. No broken bones from that one but plenty of road rash. Helmets saves you from serious brain injuries, always wear one!

Back
Top Bottom