Bicycle Safety PSA

My bad fall was at slow speed and avoiding hitting a pedestrian who just darted out in front of me.

As one of the pedestrians in danger of being mowed down sometimes please keep in mind I can't always hear you coming. You are moving faster than me, I may be distracted, and am honestly a bit deaf.

As one of the pedestrians in danger of being mowed down sometimes please keep in mind I can't always hear you coming. You are moving faster than me, I may be distracted, and am honestly a bit deaf.

Yeah, last time I had to park adjacent to a bike lane (which never - well almost never - has a bike in it - stay tuned.) I started to cross the lane and looked carefully both ways. No bikes as usual. Unfortunately, this old man had forgotten the tax documents I'd come there to drop off at my accountant. SO, retrieving the documents, I "whirled" (well, turned rather quickly) and started to cross the bike lane. Whoa! There was a bike/rider right on top of me. I had simply forgotten it was a bike lane in my haste. Just missed me - I felt the air (and smelled the sweat) from the rider.

All my own fault, but that wouldn't have helped either one of us had we come in contact. What ever happened to those little bells bikers used to ring when they were approaching pedestrians??

I can appreciate that and I'm very careful around people, but keep in mind that I was riding in a traffic lane out in the street and someone just turned off of the sidewalk without looking and stepped in front of me. If it would have been a car they would have been killed.
If I'm riding on a mixed situation like a trail, I slow way down. You just don't know.
With the proliferation of smartphones, people are really unaware as they walk the trails of what's going on around them. They could do anything at any time.

Last edited:
I can appreciate that and I'm very careful around people, but keep in mind that I was riding in a traffic lane out in the street and someone just turned off of the sidewalk without looking and stepped in front of me. If it would have been a car they would have been killed.
If I'm riding on a mixed situation like a trail, I slow way down. You just don't know.
With the proliferation of smartphones, people are really unaware as they walk the trails of what's going on around them. They could do anything at any time.

Maybe bikes need an artificial sound like some of the EVs that are so silent. Hate to dump this all on bikers, but pedestrians are just plain unconscious sometimes!

I have to look out for them when I am driving this combo too.
it's not what you'd call sneaky :)
PXL-20210528-222349975.jpg

Sounds like you were smart and fortunate. I'll add my gladness that you're ok. I've had my share of bicycle wipeouts (road rash, lacerations, hip contusion, among other injuries). I've been looking for a good reason to get a new helmet, and you just gave me the best one.

Sounds like you were smart and fortunate. I'll add my gladness that you're ok. I've had my share of bicycle wipeouts (road rash, lacerations, hip contusion, among other injuries). I've been looking for a good reason to get a new helmet, and you just gave me the best one.

Heh, heh, one more helmet or maybe one less bike.:facepalm:

Maybe bikes need an artificial sound like some of the EVs that are so silent. Hate to dump this all on bikers, but pedestrians are just plain unconscious sometimes!

Perhaps.

When I ride the multipurpose greenway trail here, I do use my bell and signal it from afar, and then with more urgency as I get closer to the pass of a pedestrian.

Most peds appreciate it. A few hate it, as they take the signal as me "giving offense or clap-back" to the pedestrian. We've lost all meaning of using signalling devices.

Here, horns are used to express frustration and offense. In many parts of Asia, horns are used as signalling devices, but unfortunately used about 50% of the driving time. There's no in-between.

EDIT: one more thing about bells and pedestrians. The biggest issue is the use of earbuds and loud music. This is the main reason bikers scare pedestrians. When I walk the trail, I keep my ears open. It comes from growing up during tough times in Chicago (late 60s riots, gang wars and men offering candy from black sedans). Keep the ears open. Have eyes in the back of your head.

Last edited:
Perhaps.

When I ride the multipurpose greenway trail here, I do use my bell and signal it from afar, and then with more urgency as I get closer to the pass of a pedestrian.

Most peds appreciate it. A few hate it, as they take the signal as me "giving offense or clap-back" to the pedestrian. We've lost all meaning of using signalling devices.

Here, horns are used to express frustration and offense. In many parts of Asia, horns are used as signalling devices, but unfortunately used about 50% of the driving time. There's no in-between.

EDIT: one more thing about bells and pedestrians. The biggest issue is the use of earbuds and loud music. This is the main reason bikers scare pedestrians. When I walk the trail, I keep my ears open. It comes from growing up during tough times in Chicago (late 60s riots, gang wars and men offering candy from black sedans). Keep the ears open. Have eyes in the back of your head.

Yeah, just one more thing I like about Hawaii. Using your horn is considered rude. BUT I really do like when bikes use the bell. It's a universal sound that's made by nothing else. I don't consider the bell as rude. I appreciate the bell because I know to look for a bike.

so may people have earbuds in and don't hear the bells. I will call out " on your left " as I approach and pass people, so they are aware I am passing.

Thank you OP. Your post prompted me to order a new helmet to upgrade my “rail trail” helmet to MIPS. I use a wave cel helmet for mountain biking and have a different wave cel road biking helmet, but neither of those is my go-to helmet for rail trails. (The MTB helmet feels like overkill and the road helmet has no visor). I’ve been using an old standard Bontrager, but soon I’ll have the extra protection of MIPS.

Just to make sure, I’m gonna hot glue a layer of Cheetos to my helmet.

OP, glad you’re ok.

I wore a helmet riding Ragbrai (across Iowa) and in a triathlon. High possibility of accidents due to congestion. But I never wear a helmet biking around home. Very few cars to the point where I can see them and avoid getting near them.

I don't use a smart phone when walking and people here ride on sidewalks so they are not killed by traffic. So I am either on a sidewalk or mixed use trail.

I veer as far to the edge as I can hoping people will only pass on one side but you get those groups of kids on electric bikes OMG. I really appreciate an "on your left".

Last edited:
I wore a helmet riding Ragbrai (across Iowa) and in a triathlon. High possibility of accidents due to congestion. But I never wear a helmet biking around home. Very few cars to the point where I can see them and avoid getting near them.

I used to almost never wear a helmet either - wasn't around much traffic or riding with groups. But sometimes a slick oil spot or loose gravel at turn or the front wheel locking up or riding up against a curb can cause an accident when there's no car in sight. After some close calls, I started wearing a helmet all the time.

Too bad OP's helmet didn't hold up. I noticed that some helmets are made with a thinner shell and less protective.

MIPS, huh?

I’ll get a MIPS helmet, thanks. . Down here in south Florida, I now ride mostly on the sidewalks cuz it has become the land of the 3 D’s: dopey, dim and distracted.
You could get killed if you’re not vigilant, and riders do everyday. I’m 78, Getting out of the street is one way to stay alive riding.

Glad that OP didn't suffer a head injury despite his helmet cracking. However, the helmet did what it was designed to do. After any bicycle crash, no matter how minor, if your helmet hits the ground, you should replace it, because the plastic shell (and styrofoam padding) may now be compromised, even if no visible cracks. MIPS helmets can be found for as little as mid $40's on Amazon. I never ride without mine.

Glad that OP didn't suffer a head injury despite his helmet cracking. However, the helmet did what it was designed to do. After any bicycle crash, no matter how minor, if your helmet hits the ground, you should replace it, because the plastic shell (and styrofoam padding) may now be compromised, even if no visible cracks. MIPS helmets can be found for as little as mid $40's on Amazon. I never ride without mine.
They say you should also replace the helmet every 5 to 10 years. I made the mistake of ordering a helmet off Amazon once. It was like 4.6 stars and rated by a large number of buyers, but the thing fit poorly (despite the adjustment), and I sent it back. I got one locally that I could test fit.

Glad your bike is OK and even more so that you are. I put in over 7,000 miles on my bike last year and never go without a helmet, yes it's a MIP's helmet. Luckily where I live we have road bike trails where you can ride over 100 miles and not touch the roadway. We also have some off road trails where you can MTN bike ride. It would be nice if all states would have the same.

Glad you are ok.

When I ride on unfamiliar roads I rely on my smartphone and the WAZE road mapping app. You can clearly see the twists and turns on the road ahead in the app and it can help you judge what you might be up against around the next turn well before you get there. I have the phone mounted on the handlebars so it's easy to view without being distracting.

Back
Top Bottom