Bill Retires Today

Ah, but the good doctor is right. Fix the governments of Africa, and the other problems become more solvable.

Ah, but the good doctor is right. Fix the governments of Africa, and the other problems become more solvable.

No question about it.

But if the infusion of cash in a narrow field (AIDS) is actually making life worse overall - don't you think that the BMG Foundation should make adjustments? They are getting AIDS medicine into these countries with governmental problems, why not concentrate on the 'unglamorous' basic health care needs instead?

-ERD50

Rereading my post, I see that I wasn't at all clear. When I said: "Bill Gates has caused more anguish and depression than all the terrorists. " I was referring to Windows, and the literally millions of people who have lost data, spent days trying to solve OS problems, etc. It was partly tongue-in-cheek, and meant to be provocative. But I do believe that the world's richest man made his fortune by creating an amazingly poor product.

As to the second point, I'm a strong believer is treating problems and not symptoms. I agree that illness should be addressed in Africa, but without also addressing population issues, perhaps any gains will be overwhelmed. African families average six children, and the population is expected to double in 25 years. This is partly due to lack of availability and ignorance concerning birth control, partly due to the perceived high status value of large families. A little education on family planning (in Africa and in the U.S.) could make a big difference.

I'm in favor of reducing fertility rates everywhere, especially in the U.S.

This is the top population related organization (Formerly ZPG):

Population Connection

and I don't think they are racist.

Back
Top Bottom