Blow Bag for Rain Drain Pipe

>take a level and make sure all sections of the pipe are at least going "downhill."
Yes, I checked that, thanks. I'm overkill on all sections.

Only Al could give me a vision of a scene from Dune, with my pipes heaving up out of the ground, ready to be tamed by one who dares to control those buggers. :)

I wish I'd gotten it on video. It was like whoa. Whoa! Bang.

Anyway, it's raining today and the new system is working like a charm. The water's coming right out of the top of the exit gate despite the small holes in the bottom.

9T4T1K9.png

Amazing how much water has been flowing down by the house until today.

Anyway, it's raining today and the new system is working like a charm. The water's coming right out of the top of the exit gate despite the small holes in the bottom.

9T4T1K9.png

Amazing how much water has been flowing down by the house until today.

Al, what I did was very similar to what you have, except I actually used a "T" instead of an elbow at the end. For light rain, the water just soaks in. For heavy, it lifts up through the raised cage I have (instead of the flat grate you have).

I like your set up. My "T" actually collects roots. I have to be careful cleaning it out every year because of the danger of a copperhead hanging out in there. If I could do it again, I'd use hard PVC and an outlet like you have.

So, nice job! Make sure to show us the final after fill in.

Another vote for replacing the cheap stuff with solid PVC. Not a big job but satisfying solution.

Thanks for this post—it was indeed easier than I expected, and without this, I might not have done it.

Al - thanks for this thread and great job. I also need to replace our 30+ year-old corrugated drain pipe pretty soon. Curious what size PVC did you end up using?

So, nice job! Make sure to show us the final after fill in.

Here are the photos. The cut-up placemat prevents water from splashing out. You can see pine needles that have been prevented from washing into the basin. I might try a different solution, such as an S-curve to have the water dump into the middle of the basin or a cutout in the grate.

0olJb4q.png

I put some moss over the covered trench. That hole is for the times that the gutter clogs and water overflows before I can fix it. That will at least keep the water a few feet away from the foundation. The water on the siding is from hosing the dirt to get it to settle under the pipe.

lxNgYWX.png

Ignore the annual fern massacre.

n25zBny.png

With a few windstorms, the pine needles will cover the dirt in this photo.

wjSmkNM.png

I put my dirty clothes in the washing machine, and it broke. Next project!

Last edited:
Why the line of rocks ?
Protects against bad juju. Ha ha.

They had outlined a path, and I put them back the way they'd been. I might get gravel and make the nice looking path again, but gravel makes digging difficult in case of future mods.

Quick update:

0olJb4q.png

I found that pine needles accumulated between the grate and the downspout, resulting in a loose clog. So, I cut the end of the downspout at 45 degrees, with the higher edge farther from the house.

In the 1-2 days between storms, the holes at the bottom of the final 90 degree elbow don't drain the pipe, but they will when the rain stops.

Is that pic before or after? It's hard to tell what/where this cut is.

-ERD50

Is that pic before or after? It's hard to tell what/where this cut is.

-ERD50

That's the before. Just a sec ...

Okay, here it is now:

bRl9EvX.png

Back
Top Bottom