Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite option is a cabinet door that opens to reveal a sliding shelf where you store a small appliance. The shelf slides out and lifts up to countertop height so you can use it, then you push it back down and slide it back into the cabinet. You need a good sized kitchen to have enough space to do this, but it's wonderful. I don't have it myself, but I've seen it in other houses and always thought it was a great idea.

Like this? Heavy-Duty Mixer Lift | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

A very petite friend redid her kitchen and put in a lift like this for her mixer...and it is hidden behind a base cabinet door. She had an electrical outlet installed on the wall within the cabinet recess. Easy peasy.

omni

That thing is plenty cool!

Kelly has one of those huge KitchenAid cast iron stand mixers and I can DIY the install.

Or maybe I just send the linky to my contractor first and make sure then order it and let him install it - :)

That thing is plenty cool!

Kelly has one of those huge KitchenAid cast iron stand mixers and I can DIY the install.

Or maybe I just send the linky to my contractor first and make sure then order it and let him install it - :)

For all of your cabinet retrofits, https://www.rev-a-shelf.com/default.aspx but don't buy direct most items can be found cheeper online.

$10k for a self directed 5 week vacation for two in New Zealand.

Last edited:

A very petite friend redid her kitchen and put in a lift like this for her mixer...and it is hidden behind a base cabinet door. She had an electrical outlet installed on the wall within the cabinet recess. Easy peasy.

omni

One of my friends installed a lift like that when doing a kitchen reno. She also uses it for her Kitchenaid mixer. And she is quite petite. Well worth the money, if you have the space.

Thanks guys, you all helped me out immensely. After clicking on the above link for the shelf pullout, it has now replaced all the women's bathing suit/underwear ads that were played continuously played on my laptop and phone since November. DW wanted a undergarment for a backless formal dress back in the fall, and I have been inundated with Venus ads since. It's been entertaining to watch other people's faces when I show them something online when these ads show up. I have tried erasing cookies, but I think DW is revisiting this site, and they must pay more for their ads.

Thanks guys, you all helped me out immensely. After clicking on the above link for the shelf pullout, it has now replaced all the women's bathing suit/underwear ads that were played continuously played on my laptop and phone since November. DW wanted a undergarment for a backless formal dress back in the fall, and I have been inundated with Venus ads since. It's been entertaining to watch other people's faces when I show them something online when these ads show up. I have tried erasing cookies, but I think DW is revisiting this site, and they must pay more for their ads.

Wait, you WANT to get rid of the bathing suit/underwear ads?

You ARE getting soft-close doors and drawers, aren't you? https://www.softclose.com/

And, definitely, some under-cabinet lighting, right? https://sebringdesignbuild.com/how-to-choose-the-best-under-cabinet-lighting/

omni

Yes on the soft close hinges and the heavy duty full length self closing ball bearing drawer slides.

No on the under cab lighting. The range hood will have lights and the kitchen light is a 4 tube 4 foot florescent fixture that lights the whole kitchen well.

And we replaced the motorhome tires which were too old. Pretty pricey even with the great special they had going. The good news was the Goodyear store some 35 miles away had a mobile unit that delivered and installed the tires at our house.

BTDT myself. My truck conversion motorhome needed new tires and it was around $5.5K for all 10. 2 steer tires ($1300) and 8 rear tires ($4200), all big truck tires adds up quick!

Spent a big chunk Saturday buying a new Zero-turn mower, walk-behind mower, gas trimmer and gas blower for the new house. When I moved last year I left all the old stuff, so i knew this expense was coming. Lowes had 10% off for using the card, plus 11% mail-in rebate (thanks to Menards, local Lowes has this also occasionally!!). Plus since i have been working o my detached garage and buying lots of stuff, I use the Pro desk and I got a 4% knocked off the zero-turn price, so in the end about $5800 worth of stuff for $4500 net. Still a big chunk of money, but should be good for many years now.

omni

That is really, really neat! Especially for a smaller kitchen like Robbie's where there might not be much room for it on the countertops. My kitchen is a little larger and has tons of countertop space, enough for my small appliances without looking crowded. I don't mind having them out. I have an electric grill, electric wok, Vitamix, microwave, rice cooker, electric kettle, Mr.Coffee, and toaster out on my countertop, and that doesn't seem like too much yet. It seems pretty cleared off.

I do like the idea of the Rev-A-Shelfs inside some of the lower cabinets, though. A couple of my lower cabinets have a lesser version which seem to be forever and irrevocably jammed, so I may have those replaced at some point. Or, I might get down there on my poor old arthritic knees and see if I can un-jam them but I am not wildly enthusiastic about that option. A third option that has MAJOR appeal to me, would be to have those particular lower cabinets (on either side of the stove, on a separate wall from all the rest of my cabinets) replaced with lower cabinets with smooth sliding deep drawers, instead. Haven't decided and there's no flaming emergency about it, so I'm letting these ideas percolate for a few years until I know what I want.

Last edited:
Spent a big chunk Saturday buying a new Zero-turn mower, walk-behind mower, gas trimmer and gas blower for the new house. When I moved last year I left all the old stuff, so i knew this expense was coming. Lowes had 10% off for using the card, plus 11% mail-in rebate (thanks to Menards, local Lowes has this also occasionally!!). Plus since i have been working o my detached garage and buying lots of stuff, I use the Pro desk and I got a 4% knocked off the zero-turn price, so in the end about $5800 worth of stuff for $4500 net. Still a big chunk of money, but should be good for many years now.
True, and also you probably saved a good chunk of money in the long run compared with having a lawn guy like I do. He charges $35/mow, and in New Orleans lawns need to be mowed year around, once every two weeks in the winter and once a week during the rest of the year. The bottom line is that this comes to between $1200-$1300/year, or even $1400 sometimes if there is an unusually warm winter.

I have nothing growing in my yard but grass, though (my choice), so that is my entire yard maintenance cost. Grass never needs to be watered or fertilized here, either, because of the climate. It just grows like wildfire.

Some people love doing yard work, and more power to them but I like not having to do any yard work at all now that I am growing older. Not doing yard work does necessitate seeking out more enjoyable forms of exercise.

Last edited:
BTDT myself. My truck conversion motorhome needed new tires and it was around $5.5K for all 10. 2 steer tires ($1300) and 8 rear tires ($4200), all big truck tires adds up quick!

Geez! - we only paid $3K for six better quality Goodyear tires and that included the delivery and service call to put them on at our place. They had a special too - $100 off each.

Well - I guess that’s not much different if you consider 6 versus 10.

True, and also you probably saved a good chunk of money in the long run compared with having a lawn guy like I do. He charges $35/mow, and in New Orleans lawns need to be mowed year around, once every two weeks in the winter and once a week during the rest of the year. The bottom line is that this comes to around $1200-$1300/year.

I have nothing growing in my yard but grass, though (my choice), so that is my entire yard maintenance cost. Grass never needs to be watered or fertilized here, either, because of the climate. It just grows like wildfire.

Some people love doing yard work, and more power to them but I like not having to do any yard work at all now that I am growing older. Not doing yard work does necessitate seeking out more enjoyable forms of exercise.
Sounds like a bargain to me. But then again my Dad’s lawn area at the farm is probably way bigger than your yard.

Sounds like a bargain to me. But then again my Dad’s lawn area at the farm is probably way bigger than your yard.

Yes, I don't live out in the country. I'm in an inner suburb on a 50'x120' lot, which actually is larger than most here. Also I edited my post to include that if we have an unusually warm winter, it can come to $1400. But that's maybe once every five years or so.

My lawn guy (Percy) is such a treasure - - he is probably older than I am, a hard worker, completely reliable, and has been cheerfully and expertly mowing lawns for a living for at least 40 years that I know of. F's family has had him mow their lawns for that length of time. He has a much younger assistant (around 30?) who is equally hard working and trustworthy, who does the edging while Percy mows with his rider mower. I am hoping that if Percy decides to retire, the assistant will take over. If not, I'd be up a creek with no paddle. Anyway, another bonus of having a lawn guy is that I get to give my money to Percy, who I think is a very worthy human being.

Last edited:

Geez! - we only paid $3K for six better quality Goodyear tires and that included the delivery and service call to put them on at our place. They had a special too - $100 off each.

^ This is a key reason I sold our motorhome after owning it only four years. I replaced the tires when I bought it but spending $3K to do it every 5-6 years was more than my LBYM mindset could handle.

I'm cooking the last of the wagyu tonight for Kelly's birthday. Time to buy more - :)

(4) 8 oz (gold grade) tenderloins, (2) 8 oz (black grade) ribeye fillets and (4) 8 oz burgers. Saved $50 on the "over $300" promo, spent $40 to ship it.

5 lbs of beef for just over $300, yeah, Blow That Dough!

^ This is a key reason I sold our motorhome after owning it only four years. I replaced the tires when I bought it but spending $3K to do it every 5-6 years was more than my LBYM mindset could handle.

Yeah - it's a pricey thing to own.

Yeah - it's a pricey thing to own.
True, if you do a traditional rental the price reflects the costs of maintaining a vehicle like an RV.

Actually an RV has a different problem than I'm used to regarding tires. My past logging experiences were based on low cost, high danger implementations. Probably not the best but it's how I grew up.

Our tires were generally retreads, who cares if a load has an uncomfortable (or has a blowout) ride. Obviously you cared more about front tires but the back end could be cheap junk. ?

An RV(thinking class C) would not be a fun ride with cheaper, lumpy tires.

Blowing $3K on a set of tires that still has a lot of thread left is painful. But when amortized over 6 years, it's not too bad. If the RV just sits there, then it's a waste. When you really use it, the $500/year is small compared to the money you blow through the tail pipe for fuel.

This reminded me that my class C tires were not too expensive at less than $1.5K for 6 Michelin tires, back in 2012. Then, I had them replaced again in 2014 under manufacturer's recall. Nice!

They should still be plenty good to drive to Alaska and back this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom