Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what DW would think if I mentioned that the checkbook was getting a bit too fat - and now I could buy that C-8 Corvette I've been lusting after. I think I already know.

One of my friends, who's in his early 60's, recently put a $1000 deposit on a C8, from some dealership that sells them for MSRP, which apparently something of a miracle when it comes to Corvettes.

I think he's a bit apprehensive about it, which is understandable. I tried to bestow him with something E-R sounding, along the lines of "You'll never again in your life be as young as you are today!"

I figure it sounded better than "It's later than you think" :p

Go for it. Dont tell the wife. Just surprise her. Haha

Heh, heh, back in '86, I wanted to drive highway 1/101 from BC to BC (British Columbia to Baja California. DW wasn't very interested. Finally, I told I was going and she was welcome to join me. She went and we loved the trip (even with a couple of rental car issues.) Long travel story - told elsewhere here IIRC.

I figure that was probably my last major thumb-in-the-eye to DW. IOW, it's me, not her in the case of the C-8. Thanks to everyone for your support.:cool:

For the roofs and stuff, I wouldn't put that expense in the BTD category... maintenance of an existing asset. Even a capital enhancement to the house that's likely to be recovered at the time of sale isn't really BTD in my book.

My BTD is a 33 night Iceland/Norway cruise with business class air. That money ain't gonna spend itself!

Yeah, I've not been sure how to categorize my water damage/pipe replacement expenses that have now added to over $12K and will go higher (I'm hoping to keep the final tally under $15K.) Then, there is the upcoming spalling repair which I don't even want to think about. Ahhhh, the joys of Condo ownership. BTD or not, maintenance is expensive.

For the roofs and stuff, I wouldn't put that expense in the BTD category... maintenance of an existing asset. Even a capital enhancement to the house that's likely to be recovered at the time of sale isn't really BTD in my book.

Good point! Excellent, actually. I'll have to start thinking of things that way. I'm really glad to have the new roof. Having no more roof leaks is heavenly, even though looking at my bank balance is a shock these days. I am not poor and have plenty of money! I'm just not used to spending my nestegg from Vanguard, and usually limit spending to my income streams deposited regularly to my bank, like SS, mini-pension, and so on. So anyway I suppose I could move some money to the bank from Vanguard, to make up for the roof and get that bank balance back where I want it. Instead, I'm such a cheapskate that I have been trying to save in order to make up for that $12,110. :banghead:

Thanks. :) :flowers:

Yeah, I've not been sure how to categorize my water damage/pipe replacement expenses that have now added to over $12K and will go higher (I'm hoping to keep the final tally under $15K.) Then, there is the upcoming spalling repair which I don't even want to think about. Ahhhh, the joys of Condo ownership. BTD or not, maintenance is expensive.
Sorry to read that you are going through this too! I always thought condo maintenance would be almost nothing (duh! I've never owned a condo, obviously).

Sorry to read that you are going through this too! I always thought condo maintenance would be almost nothing (duh! I've never owned a condo, obviously).

Heh, heh, yeah, it was a big shock to me too (and I used to play with chemicals for a living) that salt air chews up reinforced concrete like it was its job. On the mainland, we had aluminum screen doors that lasted a literal life time. Here, the salt air eats them up in a few years.

Too bad Robert Frost didn't write an iambic pentameter poem about corrosion in the Islands. Probably wouldn't have the same sentiment as "Mending Wall" but it might at least make us feel better about the natural process of nature attempting to destroy everything that man tries to build.

Something there is that does not love a wall,
That sends the salty air inside of it.
It swells the rebar and the concrete cracks;
And makes gaps a gecko can make her perch.

Apologies to Robert Frost (and real poets everywhere.)

I dunno. Just rent the C-8 for a day, and drive it around the island. You may decide that you don't want it that bad, nor love it that much.

I am younger than you, and even at my age crave little. I want youth, but that cannot be bought.

... I am not poor and have plenty of money! I'm just not used to spending my nestegg from Vanguard, and usually limit spending to my income streams deposited regularly to my bank, like SS, mini-pension, and so on...

What income stream? For more than a decade, I have been moving money from investable accounts to the checking account. With my wife now claiming her SS before I do, I need to move less money than before, and of course our Bernicke spending habit also helps.

Looking at my records, I am reminded of the early years of ER, when I drained my investment accounts to the tune of $100K/year, when my children were still in college. Somehow, my portfolio even grew, and grew quite well despite being siphoned so hard. It's a mini miracle! :)

Last edited:
Heh, heh, yeah, it was a big shock to me too (and I used to play with chemicals for a living) that salt air chews up reinforced concrete like it was its job. On the mainland, we had aluminum screen doors that lasted a literal life time. Here, the salt air eats them up in a few years.

Too bad Robert Frost didn't write an iambic pentameter poem about corrosion in the Islands. Probably wouldn't have the same sentiment as "Mending Wall" but it might at least make us feel better about the natural process of nature attempting to destroy everything that man tries to build.

Something there is that does not love a wall,
That sends the salty air inside of it.
It swells the rebar and the concrete cracks;
And makes gaps a gecko can make her perch.

Apologies to Robert Frost (and real poets everywhere.)

Love your poem! When I was a kid, my father always took care of that stuff but now I remember he was pretty concerned about corrosion too. He's been dead for 44 years but I still remember him carefully examining any metals used for anything at our house.

We were at my cousin's house the other day for dinner, and my Uncle mentioned that my Aunt (my dad's sister) is finally going to retire this june at the end of school season. She's worked odd jobs for years and went back full time as the literal "lunch lady" when my Uncle retired a few years ago.

She's special in ways I can't describe. Anyway, he mentioned traveling and specifically wanting to go to Ireland but for some reason it "wasn't in the cards." I'm hoping there aren't health issues and its just money, cause that's an easy problem to solve. I got some, and she can have it.

My wife and I discussed and agreed that we want to pay for their trip. Now we just have to figure out how to discuss with them. I hope they accept.

We were at my cousin's house the other day for dinner, and my Uncle mentioned that my Aunt (my dad's sister) is finally going to retire this june at the end of school season. She's worked odd jobs for years and went back full time as the literal "lunch lady" when my Uncle retired a few years ago.

She's special in ways I can't describe. Anyway, he mentioned traveling and specifically wanting to go to Ireland but for some reason it "wasn't in the cards." I'm hoping there aren't health issues and its just money, cause that's an easy problem to solve. I got some, and she can have it.

My wife and I discussed and agreed that we want to pay for their trip. Now we just have to figure out how to discuss with them. I hope they accept.

What a great BTD.

If you have a feeling that one member of the couple would be more open to the idea, you might start with them. Convince one and you can probably convince them both. Best luck and much aloha.

Thank you.

I told my wife recently that I want this money to be fun and bring happiness to all of us. Reading Die with Zero reinforced what I've been feeling the last year or so.

Money = Experiences.

And experiences and the memories are > owning more stuff.
Because the things you own, end up owning you.

Signed a contract to replace the roof, short of $9700. Had some damage a few weeks back when 50mph winds blew through.

Signed another contract for $1200 to extend patio under last year's deck extension.

Getting bids to add a 16x16 gable end screened in porch with a 28' diameter circular concrete patio extending out from it. Porch floor will be concrete also but need to be 14" above the ground level patio so the step out from the house is only 4" down. Hoping to stay under 50k!

What a great BTD.

If you have a feeling that one member of the couple would be more open to the idea, you might start with them. Convince one and you can probably convince them both. Best luck and much aloha.

Indeed! That is a great BTD. We were on our first Mexico trip as a couple, and met some folks in the bar. These ladies had been friends for decades and the one lady had a tour company for Kenai Fjords National park ( we had been on her boat, small world!)
She paid the way for her friend, who could not have gone on her own and let's face it, not as much fun either.
My wife and I took them with on a taxi tour, and I got to tour guide and interpret along the way. They had more trips planned and it warmed our hearts.
I look forward to the day that we are comfortable to BTD like this.

14 day Panama Canal cruise on Viking Ocean, really looking forward to it!

BTD summer trip

We’ve started booking our big BTD summer trip, one of our all-time bucket list adventures.

We will drive our campervan (pictures of it here:https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/anybody-campervan-part-2-a-112061.html) from MN to Bellingham WA and put the van & ourselves on an Alaska Marine Highway ferry up the inside passage to Skagway AK. It’s a three night journey plus a four day stopover in Juneau where we will camp in the van. There is no road access to Juneau so ferries or ships or seaplanes are the only ways to access the city. The ferry is not as luxurious as a cruise ship but it lets us take the van along so it works for us. We’re hoping for some whale spotting & great scenery along the way.

From Skagway we will go into southern Yukon for a trip into the mountains on the White Pass & Yukon RR, then get on the ALCAN highway for nearly 1000 miles to SE British Columbia. We will stay in some campgrounds but much of the way will be wild camping in the wilderness of NW Canada. (For us, wild camping includes taking our espresso machine, Instant Pot & ice maker – no reason to rough it in the wild!)

Then, on through Alberta and into Saskatchewan with any side trips that strike our fancy. Eventually we will make our way back to MN via Winnipeg or through the Black Hills on the US side of the border. We’re purposely leaving this part unscheduled for now. Estimated time is 6-7 weeks but everything is flexible (except for the ferry trip).

So far we’re in for about $4k, most of which is the ferry trip & Juneau stopover. It will probably be close to $10k with gas, food, and everything else. That’s a significant part of our 2023 travel budget but a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us!

BrianB

What a great BTD.

We stopped by for a visit today to prod a bit, and learned that "it's not in the cards" is a knee issue, so not good news but not the end of the world health wise. Also, since they didn't hint about any financial restraints I opted to bit my tongue for now and see how it plays out. The last thing I want to do is pressure them into a trip when she isn't up to it, or insult them as well.

Nice trip, BryanB!
The Alcan is in our bucket too.We have done the water side of your trip and the White Pass RR from a cruise and also some private plane trips up and back from Seattle.

BTD on grandkids

The 6 year old grandson really enjoyed the trip to San Francisco to celebrate his birthday. We went to the Science Museum/Aquarium, then the Exploratorium (kid's museum) and the Ferry, then the little Aquarium on the Pier, where he saw a magic show which he loved. All this over 4 days and 3 nights.

The hotel was about 40 buck more a night than DW expected, due to fees and the 3rd person charge, but as I told her, that was less than an extra night would have cost. It helps that he is an easy kid to travel with, and he waited to puke in the car on the way back untiil we were just a mile from his home in Merced! Spoil the grandkids if you have a chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom