Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first BTD posting. New power blinds for our family room 4k. We have a couch and love seat in front of the windows and we are tired of straining to pull the cords. Totally not necessary BTD!

The exit strategy should be in writing at the beginning when everyone is still all smiles. If you wait until later, problems arise.
When I started my business we had a well described exit plan. It held up for 24 years until I sold. It worked and no one complained.
We valued shares every year and had an agreement as to who could buy them. When I sold it was very orderly with even a party at the end.

Heh, heh, the "beginning" in our case was my mom and dad, throwing their few dollars over the fence and following. They weren't even thinking of an exit strategy other than what bridge they would live under with their two kids if the business failed. It had to w*rk and that was all there was to it. It did.

30 years later, mom and dad more or less "gave" their three kids the bidness for $50K. Years later, when we tried to sell, everyone said "I can start my own bidness like yours for less than that." And they could. Of course, it wouldn't be a thriving concern. They would all go through the travail that my mom and dad went through. One potential buyer did just that and became a competitor. She eventually failed.

So just about the time we were ready to retire, the 3rd generation came along and said "I'd like to buy the business." We gave favorable terms and the rest is history. BUT you can't count on it AND we had lots of more or less sleepless nights wondering how we would get out of the bidness without just padlocking the door. It ain't easy being in bidness.

My first BTD posting. New power blinds for our family room 4k. We have a couch and love seat in front of the windows and we are tired of straining to pull the cords. Totally not necessary BTD!

Hokey Smokes Bullwinkle! For $4k we will keep pulling the strings. Enjoy.

I hope you meant 12 Feet and not 12 inches! A 12 inch awning is not BTD. ;)

No 12" ........ Just kidding, yes 12' x 10'. They are big and are needed to cover our east facing patio here in N.E. Fla. Keeps the heat our of our Florida Room.

I'm pretty sure we went to that exact shop last fall. It is beautiful. Sadly, no place for it in our house.

Thanks and thanks to all for the compliments everyone. Once my new patio is completed (another BTD project), it'll look nice.

My 9 year old Maltese has a heart murmur of 3-4 so doing some tests to see if she needs medication and if healthy enough for one last dental. Depending on what I end up doing could cost anywhere from 600-2k. Not a fun way to btd.

Just paid the CC statement which showed our air travel to the mainland at $3K this year instead of $2 last year. So that's not only a BTD but an entry in the inflation thread. Double whammy.

As Patriarch of the family now, this summer is shaping up to be a BTD experience. All the kids and grand kids and in-laws and out-laws and hangers on will be forming up for our first annual "family reunion." Lots of big plans have been floated, but no one has talked about who will be paying. So, I guess I'm it!

Our next BTD effort: To celebrate 40 years of wedded bliss (all due to her, no doubt :)). We each get to pick a trip. DW choice is Paris, where she lived for a year while in college, and became (and still is) fluent in French. After comparing the flight+hotel packages separate bookings, the separate flight/hotel booking came out only slightly higher but with more flexibility. After seeing the "best" price, I figured let's live a little, so upgraded flight and apartment hotel (with kitchen) for a May trip will blow about $12K, before tours and meals. We are looking forward to this!

We are back! The final BTD tally for our 10 day Paris trip was $16K... but well worth it. United Polaris amenities, apartment hotel, side trip to Normandy added in - it made DW cry with tears of happiness. Which can be worth it :).

We are back! The final BTD tally for our 10 day Paris trip was $16K... but well worth it. United Polaris amenities, apartment hotel, side trip to Normandy added in - it made DW cry with tears of happiness. Which can be worth it :).

Aw!!! That is sweet. I'm so glad you chose THIS way to BTD since it obviously meant a lot to your DW..

That's so sweet!

I've been to Paris. Would love to see Normandy. I'm sure it would touch me as I cried when I stood before the wall of Honor in the Arizona Memorial. Some experiences are so worth the cost.

jollystomper, you have chosen - wisely.

We replaced the 40 year old 4 meter socket entrance panel and 4 feeds to each apartment and replaced 2 100 amp Federal Pacific breaker boxes. Bid was awarded in 10/21, but we could not find a 4 meter panel because of supply chain issues. Went with a 6 socket and dummied 2. Original quote was $5300.

The entrance panel was damaged by the electric company when they pulled the meters and then replaced with Smart meters years ago. The FP breaker boxes were cutting edge at the time (1972) but the company went out of business due to their faulty design. I had a hard time trying to replace a breaker back in 2021, hence the need to replace.

I had to replace my main panel four years ago when an electric fault almost caused a fire (well, it actually did cause a small fire, and took out two kitchen appliances). No supply issues, but took the opportunity to upgrade from a 125 amp service to 200 amp service, and install a 42 space panel. The original was 24 space with more tandem breakers than it should have had. Total $4k for the electric work, $2k for the appliances. Not a fun way to BTD, but definitely worth it.

I had to replace my main panel four years ago when an electric fault almost caused a fire (well, it actually did cause a small fire, and took out two kitchen appliances). No supply issues, but took the opportunity to upgrade from a 125 amp service to 200 amp service, and install a 42 space panel. The original was 24 space with more tandem breakers than it should have had. Total $4k for the electric work, $2k for the appliances. Not a fun way to BTD, but definitely worth it.

Heh, heh, my parents had a 60 amp service in the old homestead. They ran lines from it to the business and, for years, simply replaced fuses when too much power was called for.

I think an inspector finally saw what they had done and put the Kibosh on it. He could have shut them down, but quickly they got 100 amp at the house and 200 amp at the business. Why there was no fire, has to be divine protection.

In Vegas a couple of days for a couple of concerts. Paid for loungers by the pool….$75 for today (Thursday) and double that tomorrow (because it’s weekend rates). Yes, there are loungers around the pool for free, but these have a nice cushion, their own umbrella and being able to just show up whenever we want in the morning and then throughout the day is so lovely. Not something I have done before, but I’ll definitely be doing so in the future. A small BTD to feel real pampered.

Roof replacement is scheduled on June 8, at least $2,500 of deductible after insurance payment, and who knows what will be down the road.

Just paid the CC statement which showed our air travel to the mainland at $3K this year instead of $2 last year. So that's not only a BTD but an entry in the inflation thread. Double whammy.

As Patriarch of the family now, this summer is shaping up to be a BTD experience. All the kids and grand kids and in-laws and out-laws and hangers on will be forming up for our first annual "family reunion." Lots of big plans have been floated, but no one has talked about who will be paying. So, I guess I'm it!

How lovely! Time with family is a wonderful BTD in my opinion!

Ordered $200 "audiophile" headphones, time to blow some dough.

Great way to BTD. Family is really all we will to show for after we are gone. Have a great time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom