Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from a week-long holiday in Yorkshire with my sweetie!

It's funny how it wound up being much more of a BTD than I expected, but everything adds up. Airfares were relatively cheap for the summer, and our AirBnb plus an extra night in a motel near Cambridge was a good value, but the car rental sure was pricey at almost $700, petrol was around $7 a gallon, and the newspapers were up to $5 a pop. All in for the trip, I think it was a tad under $5k for the two of us.

$2150 blown to replace 2 engine mounts (and a transmission oil change) on our MB GL450. 2620 miles and 7 months after inspection and Certified Used Car Warranty expired. These are hydraulic engine mount and were total failure. A different MB dealership did the work as I don't trust our local dealership any further than I can throw the receipt.

Signed a contract today to install solar power on my roof. $28,808 before tax credits for a 10,400 kW system. No batteries since we have a Generac generator. Payoff predicted to be 7 years. Warranty is long past when I’ll need it.
We’ll be the third on our street with solar.

$2150 blown to replace 2 engine mounts (and a transmission oil change) on our MB GL450. 2620 miles and 7 months after inspection and Certified Used Car Warranty expired. These are hydraulic engine mount and were total failure. A different MB dealership did the work as I don't trust our local dealership any further than I can throw the receipt.
I've got a 2013 S550. Love the car but kills me when something breaks.

It's sleeping tonight at a local mechanic waiting for rear leveling sensors to be installed. First time at this mechanic and I'm hoping its a new relationship. Called the dealer from the road (they have maintained the vehicle since 2016) when the problem developed and was told "we have no loaners and are realllllly backed up with repairs." Appreciate the honesty, but not really good to fostering a lot of faith in their dealership. My service advisor is no longer there and the last service took 4 days to complete.

I've got a 2013 S550. Love the car but kills me when something breaks.

It's sleeping tonight at a local mechanic waiting for rear leveling sensors to be installed. First time at this mechanic and I'm hoping its a new relationship. Called the dealer from the road (they have maintained the vehicle since 2016) when the problem developed and was told "we have no loaners and are realllllly backed up with repairs." Appreciate the honesty, but not really good to fostering a lot of faith in their dealership. My service advisor is no longer there and the last service took 4 days to complete.

Still a lot of seller's markets these days - and I think repair shops are no exception. A power window went out on the Buick. Of course, it was raining. I called the shop and they couldn't get me in for 2 days. I "borrowed" space in my niece's garage, fortunately, but you do feel helpless when you have to pay a fortune for repairs AND wait for them as well. YMMV

Chickened? Chicken? Oh, yeah. Now I remember. "It tastes just like chicken!":LOL:

Kangaroo is red meat, and I am sure it does not taste like chicken. :cool:

What happened was I took a day trip by train to the Blue Mountain that day. When at the Blue Mountain, I chatted with a tour bus driver, and asked about kangaroo meat. He grimaced and said "I don't eat road kill". That scared me, and that night I did a no-show at the downtown restaurant where we already had the reservation.

When I told the above story many years ago on this forum, an Australian told me that I missed out, that kangaroo steak was very good.

I swear, if I get to Australia again, I will try kangaroo this time.

Blowing the dough!

Tax credit purchase!:cool:

Side.jpg

Alright!

You've got to meet up with ReWahoo and have a race.

Yes, I know you two have the same car.

The difference we look for in the race is the driver skills. :cool:

Last edited:
@Dash man nice solar install. I am gunning for 9.6 KW initial installation.
@aja tax credits FTW!

Did some updates on the boat, new electronics and new engines. The electronics were just a want. I had some engine trouble with one of my engines when I was 50 miles out. So I decided to just go ahead and replace both with new. And went from 500hp to 600 hp.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 66
Did some updates on the boat, new electronics and new engines. The electronics were just a want. I had some engine trouble with one of my engines when I was 50 miles out. So I decided to just go ahead and replace both with new. And went from 500hp to 600 hp.

Yep, what is it they say? A boat is a hole in the water where you dump money.

Nice BTD, dm. Enjoy.

Touring the Cotswold in England. So charming and beautifully kept. Amazing walking trails.

So while the trip is semi BTD. DW keeps pointing out amazing cottages, bungalows and estates for sale. Could Blow all the dough, that way!

Didn't spend so much as a nickel - apologies if this is thread drift - we toured a CCRC though I don't know what level it is. It SOUNDS like the top level (you buy in and maybe move through the levels all the way to skilled care.)

In any case, the BTD would be a buy in ranging from $150K to $500K (80% refundable) depending on what floor plan you get. THEN the monthly fees range from $4K to $6K. Any "health" assistance goes up from there.

It's all so lovely and they have a pool (with lanes for laps). There's a nice library with connection to the local library (WiFi and computers and printers, etc.) They have a huge craft and art room (their entire facility public-area walls are covered with recent art w*rk form the residents.) They have a w*rk out room with all sorts of equipment. You can get PT from a professional as well as training from a professional (extra payments.) We got to eat there and the food was way more than good (slightly institutional, but all items were from scratch with nutritionists input and professional chef and pastry chef.) Heh, heh, I'd never lose weight there.:blush:
So would we consider such a luxurious living BTD? I'd have to say yes, but we still feel like we are too young and that we love our freedom (though you're technically just as free at such a CCRC.) YMMV

Last edited:

BOAT=BUST OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND :LOL:

Just bought biz class tickets to Asia for our trip in January. Definitely BTD.
Considering buying tickets for a trip back to Florence Italy while younger son does his semester abroad there. But we were just in Florence in early May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom