Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
New 2023 Toy. 2022 4Runner

Attachments

• 20230822_124217.jpg
    20230822_124217.jpg
    955.8 KB · Views: 61
$2150 blown to replace 2 engine mounts (and a transmission oil change) on our MB GL450. 2620 miles and 7 months after inspection and Certified Used Car Warranty expired. These are hydraulic engine mount and were total failure. A different MB dealership did the work as I don't trust our local dealership any further than I can throw the receipt.

What year?? Have you otherwise had much trouble with it??

What year?? Have you otherwise had much trouble with it??

2014 We bought it November 2019 as a certified used car. We had it state inspected in October 22, before the warrantee expired. They say the did a 150 point inspection, found no issues. We did have a few minor but expensive repairs earlier, but they were covered by the warrantee.

We just questioned complete engine mount failure after 2600 miles since that inspection. They are hydraulic, you would think there might be some minor leakage during the inspection or on my garage floor or driveway.

I can finally post on this thread! I just signed the dotted line for a new HVAC system for $11,338. Prices increased significantly during the pandemic, so any HVAC purchase these days is in BTD territory. My cost is bumped up a bit because there will have to be a crane to hoist it up four floors to the roof. I'm pretty excited about the system as it will be a significant leap forward in technology over my current system.

I can finally post on this thread! I just signed the dotted line for a new HVAC system for $11,338. Prices increased significantly during the pandemic, so any HVAC purchase these days is in BTD territory. My cost is bumped up a bit because there will have to be a crane to hoist it up four floors to the roof. I'm pretty excited about the system as it will be a significant leap forward in technology over my current system.

Congratulations! You'll be SO glad that you decided to buy a new HVAC system. It will pay back to you every day, in a more comfortable life when you are at home.

I bought one in 2016 and I think it was a great way to spend my money. :D

We just replaced our central AC unit in SoCal, a 5 ton unit with a new ultra low nox heating unit installed in our attic. $16,000 was the best price I could find. Most shops were quoting $20K.

It's the Orange County premium.

Congratulations! You'll be SO glad that you decided to buy a new HVAC system. It will pay back to you every day, in a more comfortable life when you are at home.

I bought one in 2016 and I think it was a great way to spend my money. :D
We're not quite as steamy here as you are in New Orleans, but life without AC would be pretty miserable. It is worth the dough to have good AC!

Reactions: W2R
We just replaced our central AC unit in SoCal, a 5 ton unit with a new ultra low nox heating unit installed in our attic. $16,000 was the best price I could find. Most shops were quoting $20K.

It's the Orange County premium.
I'm in a condo, so my system is a mere 2 ton. It is a Energy Star inverter variable speed system. I really need the dehumidification here!

Well, I knew this day would come.

I started out taking my granddaughter to Chicago (hour-long flight from Des Moines where they live) for an overnight when she was 4. We stayed at the Hilton O'Hare and she LOVED the runway view. When her sister was old enough (and we were past COVID) she came with us- so, one extra airfare, higher food expenses. Well, the girls are 9 and 6 now and Little Brother, aged 4, FINALLY decided to get out of diapers/Pull-ups so we're all booked for April of next year. I decided to get 2 adjoining rooms and then realized that with 2 rooms we could have DDIL accompany us. (My son will be studying for actuarial exams so would use the weekend to study.)

DDIL was thrilled at the suggestion. (Yes, I told her I'd pay her airfare.) That's booked, plus two adjoining rooms at the Hilton at a rate that includes breakfast (food prices there are a ripoff so I think we'll be ahead of the game). Hotel reservation for 2 nights is $1,700 all-in.:facepalm: The hotel has little going for it other than Location, Location, Location, but I can't deprive Little Brother of at least one stay with a runway view. After that I may put my Grandma foot down and insist we stay by the Navy Pier, since they love the Children's Museum.

Well, when I leave this world I want them to have a treasure trove of Grandma Athena stories. And I love my DDIL. We should have a great time.:D

Mmkay, it's only a baby step, but yesterday morning, I finally took the plunge and ordered a new cell phone. My old iPhone 7S had already gone through one battery, and its replacement wasn't aging well, either...down to something like 82% health after around 2 years and 8 months. The kicker came when it got that it wouldn't reliably recognize when you plugged something into the charger port.

Anyway, I got an iPhone 13 mini. Not the latest and greatest tech out there, but it still has a lot more storage than my old 7S did, and the screen, while not huge, is still a bit bigger. So, I'm out about $825, once you factor in tax, and an extended warranty that I bought...but probably never will need.

Back from the Tour de Mont Blanc, Zermatt, and Geneva last night. Survived the 2 4000+ climbs on the Tour, even though it was unseasonably warm (high 70s to mid 80s even in elevation), then took a van shuttle to Zermatt (there were 5 of us so the shuttle cost was only 10$/per person more than rail, where it was..... snowing.}
Well worth the expense, which was minimal.
Might not be able to do the high elevation climb hikes when I'm older (65 now), but survived them fine this time, which was why I told DW if we were going to do the hike, to do it now.

Last edited:
Not trying to brag (although I did), just suggesting y'all might want to consider doing items on your bucket list while you are capable of doing them, not waiting too long.

I'm a good steep hiker, so I wound up waiting in the shade for the younger folks on the big uphill climbs. But that might not be true in 3 or 4 years; in fact I might not be able to do them at all.

Not trying to brag (although I did), just suggesting y'all might want to consider doing items on your bucket list while you are capable of doing them, not waiting too long.

I'm a good steep hiker, so I wound up waiting in the shade for the younger folks on the big uphill climbs. But that might not be true in 3 or 4 years; in fact I might not be able to do them at all.

At age 73 now, I know exactly what you are talking about...
:( :( :(

I started out taking my granddaughter to Chicago (hour-long flight from Des Moines where they live) for an overnight when she was 4. We stayed at the Hilton O'Hare and she LOVED the runway view. When her sister was old enough (and we were past COVID) she came with us- so, one extra airfare, higher food expenses. Well, the girls are 9 and 6 now and Little Brother, aged 4, FINALLY decided to get out of diapers/Pull-ups so we're all booked for April of next year. I decided to get 2 adjoining rooms and then realized that with 2 rooms we could have DDIL accompany us. (My son will be studying for actuarial exams so would use the weekend to study.)

DDIL was thrilled at the suggestion. (Yes, I told her I'd pay her airfare.) That's booked, plus two adjoining rooms at the Hilton at a rate that includes breakfast (food prices there are a ripoff so I think we'll be ahead of the game). Hotel reservation for 2 nights is $1,700 all-in.:facepalm: The hotel has little going for it other than Location, Location, Location, but I can't deprive Little Brother of at least one stay with a runway view. After that I may put my Grandma foot down and insist we stay by the Navy Pier, since they love the Children's Museum.

Well, when I leave this world I want them to have a treasure trove of Grandma Athena stories. And I love my DDIL. We should have a great time.:D

Spending time with your grandkids will make priceless memories that they will never forget. My maternal grandparents would take each of their 13 grandchildren for a fun weekend by themselves. It was wonderful not to have to share the time with them with anyone else.

They didn’t have a lot of money but occasionally they would take me out for lunch and a movie. Usually they cooked my favorite meals, played cards and games, took me for walks, etc. I am 69 and still occasionally think about all the fun we had together. Enjoy your trip with the kids and your Dil!!

That's why we did Inca Trail last year. DW is having problems with knees, hips and back. My time will come. Unfortunately, it does for all of us.

Very nice of you to treat the kids and their mother too.

By the way, other than the view of the airplanes, what else is there to entertain the kids? I would have thought downtown Chicago would have more to offer.

Last edited:

Love this plan. Sometimes the best memories come from the fact it may not seem "practical" but years from now your grandkids will remember your taking this trip because it was something unique that they enjoyed. One of my favorite childhood memories is, well before the days of dvrs/vcrs/streaming, my Mom getting up with me in the middle of the night to watch a favorite old movie that was on tv. Such a simple event, but I still treasure that she did something as impactical as that (it wasn't a school night) just to share a memory with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom