Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
PandaBear it hurts my heart that you had to make that kind of decision. I had to do the same a couple of days ago on my 75th birthday. This is going to take some time to get past. Too many habits to unlearn. Too many barks or meows that will be missed for some time to come. But we are left knowing that we did everything to give them a happy and healthy life and that they repaid us with their joy, affection, and loyalty.

Cheers!

Well, I think I did something to finally qualify for this thread. Yesterday, I went out and bought this...

Congratulations! :dance::dance:

It's a nice color. And looks fast. Which is all I get from the pic as an ignorant Euro. I only recognize Jeeps and Teslas of the made in the US cars. :flowers:

I can finally post on this thread! I just signed the dotted line for a new HVAC system for $11,338. Prices increased significantly during the pandemic, so any HVAC purchase these days is in BTD territory. My cost is bumped up a bit because there will have to be a crane to hoist it up four floors to the roof. I'm pretty excited about the system as it will be a significant leap forward in technology over my current system.
The new system is installed. So far, I'm impressed. It is far, far quieter than the old one. Now we just need the hot weather to come back so I can see what it can do!

Attachments

• HeatPump.jpg
    HeatPump.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 55
Congrats!!! I'm envious. Did you do the full loop? I am interested in doing at least a section of it. I was thinking of staying in towns and using a luggage transfer service, rather than go the refuges route - although the refuges look pretty cool too. Do you recommend one over the other?

Sorry I missed this Taco. We used MacAdventures, which we've used for the Ireland, the Lake District, and the Scotland hiking. They book lodging and arrange for baggage transfer. They booked us in two Refugios; the others were full, but you'll probably have trouble avoiding Refugios/dorms alltogether. We stayed two nights in Courmayer and toward the end, 3 nights in Chamonix at the end, using buses, etc to get to/from hike segments. We did the full tour except for a couple small gaps. (Storm came in on the next to last day so we took the lower ski route option from the Col at the top). Last day we just book the bike path from Chamonix to Les Houche since it was raining and didn't want to go 3500 feet down in the mud.

DH is BTD this weekend, he took DS, DSiL, DGS, age 7 to Seattle for boys weekend and Mariners game. Left Friday, coming home today. Embassy Suites right by the park, great seats at the game. DGS asked if he could get room service, so of course Grandpa said yes.
DH texted that they are having a wonderful time!

I finally was able to BTD! Paid cash for this baby! :dance:

I should be able to get the Level 2 charger installed this week.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-17 175843.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 175843.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 175918.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 175918.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 180041.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 180041.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 115
Nice, post the charger installation cost in the Electric Vehicle thread.

Great BTD stories! Love this thread.

Not a big deal, but we head to Miami tomorrow, Mets v Marlins on Tuesday, then Tampa Wed & Thurs, Winterhaven (inlaws) on Friday and then MCO to DEN on Saturday to visit our daughter. Will catch a Rockies v. Dodgers, home on Wed.

Really looking forward to getting back to Denver and seeing our Daughter.

Congrats to The Cosmic Avenger - that is a good looking car!

After upgrading the home theater in 2020, I made the 'mistake' of going to a home theater conference. I bought a new projector, five new speakers and a power amplifier...for what I could have spent on the BMW M440i that's in my 'wish list'. Blowing that dough, for sure! But now, I have a state-of-the-art sound and video system, and it blows away most home theaters, unless they're over $100K.

Attachments

• IMG_6185.jpg
    IMG_6185.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Blowing that dough, for sure! But now, I have a state-of-the-art sound and video system, and it blows away most home theaters, unless they're over $100K.

Heh, heh, looks like it would blow my ear drums, too! :LOL:

Enjoy!

MOVIE NIGHT AT HI Bill's!:cool:

After upgrading the home theater in 2020, I made the 'mistake' of going to a home theater conference. I bought a new projector, five new speakers and a power amplifier...for what I could have spent on the BMW M440i that's in my 'wish list'. Blowing that dough, for sure! But now, I have a state-of-the-art sound and video system, and it blows away most home theaters, unless they're over $100K.

Dang! You may need to BTD on new windows if you crank those up to 11.:D

What are those speakers if you don't mind me asking?

Perlisten S7t (Left and Right), S7c (Center), and S4b (Rear Surrouds). Perlisten makes the only speaker in the world with a THX Dominus rating!

Last week, $400 on another piece of art glass that I liked, but don’t need.

Perlisten S7t (Left and Right), S7c (Center), and S4b (Rear Surrouds). Perlisten makes the only speaker in the world with a THX Dominus rating!

WOW....sounds amazing. So WHAT do you listen to that gets that type of treatment?!
I thought I was BTD when I bought my Devialet Speakers! :LOL:

$499 + tax for a Google Pixel 7a phone when I usually don't spend more that $200 for a phone. But they apply $250 in credits over a 24-month period.

Since our 3-week Happy Retirement cruise in May was derailed a week into the cruise by Covid and pneumonia, we’ve booked for April a 10-day cruise around Italy with several additional pre and post cruise days in Rome and Venice. We originally thought about delaying this “do-over” vacation for several years, but the passing of my wife’s younger (54) step-brother reminded us that tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Dang! You may need to BTD on new windows if you crank those up to 11.:D

Yeah, kinda sounds like a hot car "blowing the doors off" another car. In this case, the speakers just might blow the doors off the home theater - at least blow out a few ear drums.:cool:

WOW....sounds amazing. So WHAT do you listen to that gets that type of treatment?!
Mostly modern pop and rock. While I have Amazon Prime HD, and YouTube Music Premium, I'm finding that the recordings are lacking in detail, and mixing is generally poor. The demise of the recording studio has really hurt audio quality. Some of the latest Dan & Shay songs have the best recording and mixing I've found. Really like music with vocals, sax, and strings.

Yeah, kinda sounds like a hot car "blowing the doors off" another car. In this case, the speakers just might blow the doors off the home theater - at least blow out a few ear drums.:cool:
These speakers sound so good and clean, I find myself listening at 70dB typically, with occasional movies at up to 90dB. I tend not to listen at reference levels, as I want to conserve my hearing as long as possible. Quality over level!

My first comment in BTD thread. I guess I never BTD. :LOL:

Hopefully this qualifies even if it's home maintenance. Just blew $14,205 on exterior repair/painting and interior painting. The crew did an excellent job. Very happy with the results. Very glad I didn't do it.

Next year landscaping and replace carpets. Done with BTD for this year. :dance:

My first comment in BTD thread. I guess I never BTD. [emoji23]

Hopefully this qualifies even if it's home maintenance. Just blew $14,205 on exterior repair/painting and interior painting. The crew did an excellent job. Very happy with the results. Very glad I didn't do it.

Next year landscaping and replace carpets. Done with BTD for this year. :dance:
I had an old retaining wall removed, and new concrete steps poured. Damn it was expensive.

Then I got quotes to replace the retaining walls. The quotes were so high, I declared that I was going to do it myself.

I went to the landscape supply place to look at retaining wall blocks, and lifted one up. Ugh.

I got two more quotes, and one of them was reasonably priced with great reviews on Google. I hired that company figuring that they will at least do it better than I would.

They did a wonderful job. It is beautiful.

My partner was also thrilled that her cheap stubborn old man didn't do it.

BTD baby.

I had an old retaining wall removed, and new concrete steps poured. Damn it was expensive.

Then I got quotes to replace the retaining walls. The quotes were so high, I declared that I was going to do it myself.

I went to the landscape supply place to look at retaining wall blocks, and lifted one up. Ugh.

I got two more quotes, and one of them was reasonably priced with great reviews on Google. I hired that company figuring that they will at least do it better than I would.

They did a wonderful job. It is beautiful.

My partner was also thrilled that her cheap stubborn old man didn't do it.

BTD baby.

I guess depending on where you live and what you wish to "retain" with your wall, specifications may vary on building said wall. Note the wall in Hawaii and how much good it did at "retaining."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom