Blowing the chance to ER

Helen

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Does anyone else have dreams where they make a stupid financial decision and blow the chance to ER ?

Last night I dreamt that I left my Government job for a private industry job for less money and then was laid off. A month ago I dreamt I bought a new house then realized I had blown my ability to ER.

I think these nightmares are replacing my college nightmare - the one where I have a final exam I haven't studied for and can't find the classroom and yada yada yada ...

Less than seven years to go and all I have to do is stick with the plan.

At least you can wake up from that dream nightmare. There are a lot of boomers that wish what they were living through was a dream.

Nope, no terrible dreams about ER being trashed. I remember very few of my dreams unless I make a special effort to think about it just as I wake up.

Last night I dreamt that I ate a five pound marshmallow. When I woke up, my pillow was gone. :D

My recurring nightmare is the four kids, (with their families) all show up and declare they have decided to move back home. I wake up screaming.

poboy said:
My recurring nightmare is the four kids, (with their families) all show up and declare they have decided to move back home.  I wake up screaming.

That has happened to three of my coworkers. In each case, they are raising three of their Grandchildren - yikes !!!!

I have a 65 year old friend who had to adopt 2 grand children because of a daughter in drug rehab. They have no idea who the fathers are.

I know I would do the same thing if I had to.

It gives me the chill's.

All I get are dreams about one of my ex girlfriends showing up at my house, and they always bring their dang sisters...

It'd be fun to have a dream about screwing up my finances, just to break up the monotony...

Helen said:
Less than seven years to go and all I have to do is stick with the plan.

This statement says it all. I have 10 years to worry about how I may eventually mess my plan up.

Helen said:
Does anyone else have dreams where they make a stupid financial decision and blow the chance to ER ?

"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

"Why am I the only one who has that dream?"

- movie "Real Genius", 1985

Helen said:

Dreams:  no. 

Daydreams/fantasies: yes - actually went looking at expensive,  new condo units; nice, luxurious, very tempting but too much for me (priced 5 times my gross income, ~$200 monthly fees, plus killer property taxes).
My temporary solution to condo lust:  lots of mulch (I am a reluctant gardener.)

samclem said:
Last night I dreamt that I ate a five pound marshmallow. When I woke up, my pillow was gone. :D

:LOL:

73ss454 said:
I have a 65 year old friend who had to adopt 2 grand children because of a daughter in drug rehab.  They have no idea who the fathers are.

I know I would do the same thing if I had to. 

It gives me the chill's.

What is done, is done, but she could have entered into a foster care agreement (where the State would have helped with the cost) and court ordered custody (so their mother won't be able to snatch them back). I hope she won't need to work to support the children as well as care for them.

Raising children isn't what most of us plan in retirement. This is one of the best reasons to assure that our kids don't use drugs.

Well, if I stay with my current employer I am guaranteed an early retirement at age 57 with no reduction in federal benefits. I just have to stay in the national guard. Which probably means at least 3 mobilizations over the next 17 years.

But I am going to take the new job offered to me. It doesn't require military membership but I will have to work to age 60, or retire at age 56 with reductions in bennies.

So, I guess I am blowing ER by 3 years...

to me it sounds like you are a little bit obssessed with FIRE. Are you? If so, stop worrying and start living. Just because work is a means to an end, doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. Try to have more fun at work and live in the present moment as often as possible. :)

The problem is your focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

jaredfogle said:
I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

1) Who are you addressing?
2) Why are you being so rude about it, especially if you "don't mean to be"?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
All I get are dreams about one of my ex girlfriends showing up at my house, and they always bring their dang sisters...

It'd be fun to have a dream about screwing up my finances, just to break up the monotony...

Why is this a nightmare? Unless they are also dragging their illegitimate kids, then turn on the hot tub!

Christ...stop doing that!

I didnt say they were nightmares...

Although I must say its been quite a conundrum trying to figure out what to do with the sisters...they're sort of crimping my action...maybe in the next dream i'll send them out for pizza...

I don't have literal dreams of this, but I do worry when I make big decisions. For example, I just started a new job, leaving a company I was at for 6 years. It was more or less a lateral move, but the hope is I'll enjoy the work more and hopefully the upside is better. I'm 28 and my calculations say I should be comfortably FI by 37. I could have stayed "safe" for another 9 years, but I was very bored. My biggest nemesis regarding FIRE is myself. I get restless and want a change. This is the first lateral move I've made, so I'm hoping it pans out. I'm hoping the "hang in there" mentality will get stronger as I get closer to the finish line and I can bear the boredom.

dunc0029 said:
...My biggest nemesis regarding FIRE is myself.  I get restless and want a change.  This is the first lateral move I've made, so I'm hoping it pans out.  I'm hoping the "hang in there" mentality will get stronger as I get closer to the finish line and I can bear the boredom.

I'm with you.  I get bored to tears some days, but then I think "overall, it could certainly be worse.  You are getting closer to freedom everyday.  Just hang in there."  But by the same token, why not keep the eyes open for other/better opportunites.  But then again, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.... and so it goes.

I understand where you guys are coming from. I get bored to tears at my job on a regular basis. That's one reason why I'm glad I found this forum...gives me something to do and people to talk to to make the otherwise boring day go faster! If nothing else though, I figure that every hour I work is another ~$7.50 into my 401k. Plus whatever other investments I might make over the course of the month...

I'll reemphasize what I think Jared was trying to say (but not so nicely), and just say that any solution that just has one wishing for "tomorrow" is a bad solution.    I think one has to find happiness today, while at the same time working towards FIRE.   As long as someone is investing, diversifying, and saving routinely, then you're always getting there.  But I also have empathy for the person that considers himself unhappy during the necessary working years.

Azanon

dunc0029 said:
I could have stayed "safe" for another 9 years, but I was very bored. My biggest nemesis regarding FIRE is myself. I get restless and want a change. I'm hoping the "hang in there" mentality will get stronger as I get closer to the finish line and I can bear the boredom.
Andre1969 said:
I understand where you guys are coming from.  I get bored to tears at my job on a regular basis.  That's one reason why I'm glad I found this forum...gives me something to do and people to talk to to make the otherwise boring day go faster!
Having experienced "exciting", I like boring. I like boring a lot.

Back
Top Bottom