Book report: Richard K. Morgan's "Woken Furies" (hardcore sci-fi)

Just finished Snow Crash. Great book!

It's like watching "Casablanca" for the first time-- it seems to be filled with clichés and stereotypes, but then you realize that it was the one that created them all...

Nords said:
Just finished Snow Crash. Great book!

It's like watching "Casablanca" for the first time-- it seems to be filled with clichés and stereotypes, but then you realize that it was the one that created them all...

I liked Snow Crash too. TH did not, if I recall.

Hey it's 2am PST!

The library only has Altered Carbon and Woken Furies

How important is it to read them in order?

TromboneAl said:
The library only has Altered Carbon and Woken Furies
How important is it to read them in order?
They stand alone, but if you have a choice I'd read "Altered Carbon" first. The women in that tale reappear (more or less) in "Woken Furies" and really mess up his mind in a way that's easier to appreciate if you've read AC first. His third book also more fully develops ideas that he only mentions in the first.

I'm guessing that the library skipped "Broken Angels" because it sold less than the other two, but I haven't checked the numbers. Events in this book are mentioned in the third book too but they're not critical to the story line.

Nords and other Scifi buffs

Hi Nords & any other scifi fans
Knowing how much you like Heinlein, I though you might enjoy a new author that I discovered recently. Check out Old Man's War by John Scalzi. He has a few books out and the first book atleast is a fast paced SciFi. He is not as wordy as Heinlein and the book does not have too much introspection but it is a quick read. Also the concept etc well done. And the best thing is that he has a blog and you can interact with the author. Good writer.
Whatever

check it out
-h

Check out Old Man's War by John Scalzi. He has a few books out and the first book atleast is a fast paced SciFi. He is not as wordy as Heinlein and the book does not have too much introspection but it is a quick read.
Excellent book. I've read it described as " 'Starship Trooper' with less preaching and better sex"...

I'm waiting for Amazon to ship Richard Morgan's "Thirteen" and Scalzi's "The Ghost Brigades", "The Android's Dream", and "The Last Colony".

What about Peter F Hamilton? He's a favorite of mine. The Night's Dawn Trilogy captivated me for months.

Other favourites for me are Gibson, Alastair Reynolds, & Jack McDevitt

I'll have to look up Morgan, I've been coming up short lately on finding good pleasure books to read.

Back
Top Bottom