I Can't Read Long Books Anymore :(

Great topic! I have always loved libraries and reading, fiction, non-fiction, historical fiction, biographies, etc. and panic a bit if I am without a good book to read. I typically have at least 3 lined up. My home is full of books but the last many years, the library knows me well.

I find I don't have time to sit down and read undisturbed for very long. My solution has been to go to audiobooks. I find that I like listening at 1.5x the normal narration speed, otherwise it just seems too slow. I can do this while commuting, exercising or doing home improvement work.

+1, love audio books while doing less than desirable tasks like cleaning!

OP here. I started this thread back on Feb 27. I didn't have 400 pages remaining, just 335. Anyway, I finished the book YESTERDAY, April 12th. Yep, it took me 44 calendar days to finish, a whopping average of 8 pages a day. There were days I didn't read it at all, but no matter how you slice it I sure took a long time to finish it. And, I found the book very interesting, so I can't use boredom as an excuse.
Starting my next non fiction book, bit this is easier to tackle. 200+ pages, about conjectures on potential exotic life on other worlds. Best part is lots of Chapters, making for easy reading breaks.
As an aside, even though I have an eReader, I like old fashioned books better. I think visually seeing progress as I read a book makes it easier to persist and finish it.

I've read most all of Michener's works and the Covenant was one of the best, in fact I got it in a two book form. Read most of Harold Robbin's trashy novels, all things Clancy, Clive Cusler and Grisham plus many other books. I find that as I age the eyesight gets a little fuzzy along with the attention span. I usually have at least three books in the cue and going at the same time, one in the throne room, one in the car and one in the kitchen table basket. I don't worry or even think about how long it takes to get through a book as much as just enjoy savoring the read.

I haven't read any book non stop since my schooldays. Even if I like the book, I'll read it at my leisure. Usually few days, sometimes up to a week.

My attention span is short when it comes to reading. As a result I don't read many books. I had an aunt that read one book after another when she was in her 90's as she didn't care for tv. I wish I had more of her in me.

Great topic! I have always loved libraries and reading, fiction, non-fiction, historical fiction, biographies, etc. and panic a bit if I am without a good book to read. I typically have at least 3 lined up. My home is full of books but the last many years, the library knows me well.

Totally understand the "panic". I always have to have a backup book in addition to the one I'm reading. Anxious, scared, worried, sad, mad, tired, bored, can't sleep...whatever the malady, books comfort me.

Just wish I could get comfy while reading without fidgeting - I used to plop down on a chair, beanbag :rolleyes: or just stretch out in bed and be set for hours. Now I get antsy, keep switching positions, getting up to stretch every 20-30 min - to say nothing of the extra bathroom breaks I didn't used to need! lol

I keep saying I'm going to try an audio book, but I think hearing someone else's interpretation of characters would feel "off" to me. When reading, my imagination creates the "voice" of each character.

Kinda like seeing the movie based upon a book I read. Rarely do I like the movie better and am often disappointed by casting choices that didn't seem anything like I imagined the character to be.

Last edited:
I hate audio books but love to read. I have always been a fast reader and can read for hours.

I do like to read, but I have trouble balancing it with the three or four tv series that I have going at any one time.

I check out eBooks from the library and get 21 days to read them. So, I usually spend some extra hours on days 19, 20, and 21. :)

I have always been an avid reader since I started grade school. One of the authors I enjoyed the past decade is Clive Cussler and I have all of his book series. Maybe a third of them are still unread because I now have a hard time following the story line. I find that if I don't complete a book in 2-3 days I start forgetting some of the important details. Over the last 4 years I have read almost 200 books (mostly fiction) but they were shorter and a little less detailed. Cataract surgery a year ago has really helped me continue reading.

Cheers!

OP here....
As an aside, even though I have an eReader, I like old fashioned books better. I think visually seeing progress as I read a book makes it easier to persist and finish it.

Yes, nothing better then sitting by a warm fire, reading a great book and turning the pages! I much prefer a solid book than an e-reader, I don't like the brightness and contrast on a kindle, even if I adjust it.
A good book, solid, comfy chair and a fire makes for a fantastic evening.

I’m looking forward to some enjoyable reading today. Last night I finally finished a book for book club. I wasn’t really interested but I wanted to finish so I could participate in book club Tuesday.

I just spent a few minutes downloading a couple of books on my “want to read” list. After lunch I will run a couple of errands and then settle in to read.

The book club book was “Diana Her True Story” by Andrew Morton. After seeing the highlights (lowlights?) on the news as it happened, and watching “The Crown”, I feel like I’ve heard it all. Most of the ladies in this book club have a different taste in books than me, which is one reason I joined. I’ve read some good books that I may never had tried if it weren’t for them being on the book club list, but every once in a while there’s a clunker. Sometimes I can’t even finish the book.

My ability to read books has always been hindered by a lazy right eye causing me to bypass sentences. Books that break up the wording with photos and diagrams, like with books on landscapes/plants and home improvement/repairs, have been much more enjoyable.

But books that just have never-ending words, sentences, and paragraphs (fiction and non-fiction) are a struggle to read, and they generally lead to eye strain quite quickly. Short stories are manageable.

It was one reason why I have been considering the purchase of a large tablet in order to reformat eBooks with slightly larger fonts and with more sentence spacing. I tried zooming with a Kindle e-reader, but I quickly tired of that. That just led to more sentence jumping because there were a lot less words per line. It is difficult to explain to someone who has no problem with the latter technique why this is a challenge.

I still read long books, but I notice that I jump back and forth between them, rather than focus on a single book for a long period of time. For example, I have four or five different books that I cycle through in the evening. I'll read a chapter of one, then shift to another, read a chapter of it, then jump to a third, etc.

When I was young, I could read the same book for hours at a time. I don't do that anymore. I'm more like a frog, jumping from one lily pad to another. I don't think it's related to age. I think I've just gotten so conditioned by social and electronic media to jump from one thing to the next, and to be intolerant of "boredom."

I mostly read on my Kindle nowadays. I find I read books even faster, which is expensive as I read physical books quickly, LOL.

I mostly read on my Kindle nowadays. I find I read books even faster, which is expensive as I read physical books quickly, LOL.

This is why I use my tablet and check books out of the library on line. No cost and very convenient. If they don't have a book I want to read I simply request the book and be placed on the wait list. LBYM.

Cheers!

Well, I always loved reading. When I was in kindergarten, I remember hiding books under my pillow so I could read by the nightlight.

In school, I noticed that I read more quickly than the other students (when the teachers told us to take out our paperbacks and read, I would finish the book.) That culminated when DF took me to Evelyn Wood for a speed reading class at age 13. I didn't really appreciate speed reading my novels, so only used it on some boring school work.

Recreational reading really crashed and burned with the birth of my first child, who had colic and (barring trips to the ER and doctors) screamed constantly. I was still in college when he was born, and between colicky baby and school, my eyes were done. More kids, more school, more work - there was simply no time or ability to kick back with long enjoyable books.

I revisited reading after retirement. I (re) joined the library! I noticed that surprisingly, I still have a lot to do, and don't have the time to kick back for a few hours.

I misplaced the murder mystery I was reading a few chapters from the end :facepalm: and have a book about ADD on hold :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom