Breaking Point Reached: Bye Bye to Windows

Hands down Mac. If you have never owned one, you probably don't understand. I went from PCs to Mac. I am so annoyed at the remaining PC's in our household. So much maintenance, antivirus, repairs, slowness, etc, etc. I've been a Mac user for over 15 years now.

Macs are virtually maintenance and problem free. Nothing to do but play. The extra $ is worth it and you will come out ahead in the long run.

The first MAJOR thing that I absolutely loved about switching to a Mac was that when I unboxed the machine, it was literally plug and play (minus the VERY basic setup of all machines), and the new machine was not full of bloatware (think windows) and the "trial periods" involved, nag screens, uninstalling trial programs later, orphaned files, and the list goes on.

I don't think that the price difference is very broad.

I run antivirus on my machines. You can pass on viruses to windows users that the Mac machine does not catch.

I had a friend talk me into buying a Mac in 2007 and have never looked back. (I bought into Apple shortly after at $28 and have been generously blessed.)

Last edited:
Macs also seem to have a longer shelf life. I was just in the Apple store yesterday because I broke my IPad Pro screen. While there I asked about my 27’’ IMac and whether I’m missing out on anything because it’s over 5 years old (I think about 7 yrs old now).

It’s still nearly as good as a new machine, and has never once had a problem. The computer has been flawless. Granted, my usage involves only the following:
- Directv viewing
- Previously Netflix (dropped)
- Live Hearts, Spades, Cribbage, and Backgammon playing
- Google searching / Amazon / Twitter / FB
- Forums

I’m not really stressing the machine, but I won’t ever leave the brand at this rate.

I have also never once used an anti-virus on the Mac. I think the key there is that I haven’t clicked on stupid things.

Last kid's university requires Windows 10.

So I'm sending them off with the MacBook Pro they've used through high school with Windows 10 running in a virtual machine.

Well, if your switching to Linux will result in TEOTWAWKI then maybe you shouldn't do it! :cool:

I'll rephrase, kind of like car shopping, I can't really knock a car unless taking out for a spin and seeing for myself to draw my own conclusion. That way when I decide, I can honestly say, "Yeah, tried but didn't like" :).

I wouldn’t assume Macs are invulnerable to malware.

I would look at shareware like ClamAV that you can run occasionally on your Downloads folder.

Hands Down

The first MAJOR thing that I absolutely loved about switching to a Mac was that when I unboxed the machine, it was literally plug and play (minus the VERY basic setup of all machines), and the new machine was not full of bloatware (think windows) and the "trial periods" involved, nag screens, uninstalling trial programs later, orphaned files, and the list goes on.

I don't think that the price difference is very broad.

I run antivirus on my machines. You can pass on viruses to windows users that the Mac machine does not catch.

I had a friend talk me into buying a Mac in 2007 and have never looked back. (I bought into Apple shortly after at $28 and have been generously blessed.)

LOL, I bought MSFT, but still have not done bad. I do own AAPL now though. I don't understand why so many people put up with all that stuff. I guess because they don't know any difference. It shouldn't be that way. Macs are sooo much better. I am looking to replace my 2006 XP Dell Desktop :). Going to get an i7 2T Fusion Dr. I am planning on it lasting at least 10 years or as long as it will still operate.

:LOL: Just got a voice mail telling me “this is a very important call to notify you that your Microsoft Windows license key has been expired on your computer so Microsoft Corporation has stopped the windows services in your computer.” That Microsoft.... :LOL: No more Windows for me, apparently.

Based on my experience with a 2007 macbook that my mother used, I wasn't very impressed with the hardware reliability. My mother never utilized its portability so it got very gentle use. The first thing to fail after about 6 years was the battery but it wasn't an issue with it not holding much charge so much as it was the battery swelled up imperceptably and started to interfere with keyboard operation. It took awhile to figure that issue out as I was trying to diagnose from 2000 miles away! I thought it was my poor mother's arthritic fingers hitting the wrong keys! Then a year or two later a connection to the backlit screen began to fail. Eventually, you could only see the screen if you opened the screen partway. The friendly folks at the Apple store simply sniffed and said "we don't work on laptops that old." Rather than spend money on a repair, I got her set up with a nice refurb HP laptop for ~$200.

I've had PC laptops since my first Thinkpad in 1997 and while I've had batteries fail, never have they swelled at least not enough to impact keyboard operation. I have an old 2007 noname laptop that is happily still running and on WIN10 even. I also have an ASUS eee PC 901 that I used in the field since 2009 to set up and obtain data from instrumentation at sewage treatment plants - not exactly a friendly environment for electronics. It's retired (along with me) but it still has useful battery life and never needed any repair. I hang onto it as I could still get called on to work on the old instrumentation. My latest laptop is an HP convertible Spectre X360 running WIN10 that I've had about a year without an issue. But it won't be going to any sewage treatment facilities for sure!

:LOL: Just got a voice mail telling me “this is a very important call to notify you that your Microsoft Windows license key has been expired on your computer so Microsoft Corporation has stopped the windows services in your computer.” That Microsoft.... :LOL: No more Windows for me, apparently.

Just do what Al does...

"I'm down with Bill Gates, I call him 'money' for short;

I phone him up at home and I make him do my tech support!"

Oh, darn the bad luck! :LOL:

Now that I've decided to switch, I'm noticing more silly Windows things.

Such as, when I click on an icon of a running app on the taskbar, if that app already has focus, focus will switch to another app.

If I want Copy as Path, I have to hit shift or it won't appear in the context menu.

Windows apps that have chosen not to have a standard menu, meaning I have to search for something as simple as Save.

Yeah, Mac may have its own annoyances.

Apologies... haven't read most of the posts here, as I don't understand a lot of the technicalities, but... my answer to the windows/browser thing has me totally satisfied.

Slimjet... free.

I dug out my old laptops and desktops that I can't afford to junk... :LOL: and uploaded Slimjet to bring my Winds Vista, Windows ME, Windows XP and Windows 7 machines back to usability. IMHO, the browser is better than Chrome... which it uses to upgrade links and operations seamlessly.

Now that Firefox has stopped supporting older machines Slimjet may be the last alternative to buying a new MAC. YMMV.

A fun project... :dance:

"may"? There is no perfect OS. IMO, Mac is far ahead of Windows, but since they are supposed to be the gold standard, I find their annoyances to be even more annoying in some ways.

Have they fixed this (after they broke it) - "Save/Save As"?

I recall reading about the Save/Save As debate with the original MacIntosh team. There is no right/wrong, but they chose a convention, and after you use it, it becomes second nature. I had to explain it carefully to DW:

Original on Mac:

1) Create a NEW document, it is automatically given the name "Untitled", with a -1, -2 suffix if you open more docs.

2) If you select "Save", it will save it as "Untitled(-x)".

3) If you later select "Save As", it creates a NEW COPY of that document with your new name. IT DOES NOT ERASE or REPLACE the original "Untitled".

Step 3 was controversial - some though "Save As" should refer to the original document, and rename it. I got used to the way it acts, no problem.

Then Apple updated this a few years ago, and I cannot explain what it does. Why change something that works.

Here's a typical comment at the time (bold mine):

Aug 31, 2011 6:36 PM in response to GunnerBuck

This is just such a idiotic programming change it is unbelievable. The Save As command has existed for more than 20 years and literally tens of millions of people have learned what it means. So some idiot at Apple decided to do away with Save As which was working just fine and replace it with Duplicate and Save a Version. :confused:? Are you kidding me?

And they want us to write feedback notes, too?

How much time is wasted by something like this ... people screwing up their work, poking around in these discussions looking for answers, calling Apple Care, writing comments like the one I am writing now.

All because some lame-brain got a goofy idea about how to change the world and for no apparent benefit whatsoever. Let someone explain to me how Duplicate and Save a Version are in any way an improvement over the perfectly acceptable and successful way we have managed version changes since 1984.

You will also probably find that Apple has decided to "protect" you from doing things that they don't think you would be interested in, but they won't tell you, you just won't get the results you expect, and may spend hours trying to figure out what you are doing wrong, and the answer is "nothing" - it's supposed to (not) work that way!

An example is a file search - you need to jump through hoops to search the Library or System areas. And you need to go into the terminal to turn on/off the ability to see hidden files in the Finder (and force quit and restart the Finder for the changes to take place).

Have fun T-Al! I look forward to your reviews!

-ERD50

Now that I've decided to switch, I'm noticing more silly Windows things.

Such as, when I click on an icon of a running app on the taskbar, if that app already has focus, focus will switch to another app.

If I want Copy as Path, I have to hit shift or it won't appear in the context menu.

Windows apps that have chosen not to have a standard menu, meaning I have to search for something as simple as Save.

I switched three years ago and remain delighted.

I'm approaching my future computer systems like owning automobiles. Nothing wrong with having more than one if that fits my needs. One day, may need a SUV or pickup truck, the other a sedan or hatchback.

For me, I've decided, in the future (maybe sooner than later) my main computer will be a Linux machine, but will have Win 10 also to run some holdover programs which I still need to run. Last night, I went ahead and ran the Garmin map updates on my Win 10 laptop. No issues.

SSD

To answer one of your questions, yes, it would be dumb to buy a refurbished 17” Mac circa 2012.

I have a 2008 24” iMac that has been sitting on the floor for three years b/c it is simply too slow to run the latest Mac OS and do basic tasks (web, email, etc...). It’s a shame, b/c it’s a gorgeous machine. It sits on the floor b/c I can’t bring myself to toss it.

Unless you need the laptop for portability, you might consider the Mac mini with a monitor suits your needs.

I have upgraded a couple of older iMacs with SSD the past couple of months, makes them work well for basic tasks. Much faster now. Fairly cheap to do as well. Takes about a half an hour to do if you are familiar with basic computer upgrades.

Opening up iMacs for anything other than adding RAM is a major task.

You have to disassemble the screen.

I'm perfectly happy with Windows 10 machines, but then (unlike many here!) I tend to buy a new Windows computer every 2 years or so. I can afford it and I happen to get a huge kick out of exploring a new computer and setting it up just like I want it. I know that does not appeal to most people but it does to me.

Eighteen months ago I bought an older version of this computer. I love it! I do make a point of keeping up with the W10 updates ASAP after they are available, and I am having no trouble with it at all. It's great to have the SSD drive and between that and the increased internet speed that Cox Cable has been giving me, well gosh, to my way of thinking it's slicker than snot.

Still, I am already keeping an eye out on what is available and what I might want next time because that is just how I am. You all know me - - I don't really spend all of my income, but new computers are one thing that make me very, very happy so I let myself spend on that.

I thought of buying a computer made by Apple, but my (limited) experience with them, mostly back in the last century, was pretty aggravating because I felt constrained and felt I frequently had to battle to do anything that was not within Apple's very limited parameters/permissions for the user. That said, I only used them in the workplace and never at home. So the idea of buying one for my home computer is interesting but I doubt I would be a good fit for one. Besides, I'm not at all dissatisfied with what I already have. I have noticed that most of those who are, are operating much older Windows computers that really should have been retired years ago IMO.

I'm perfectly happy with Windows 10 machines, but then (unlike many here!) I tend to buy a new Windows computer every 2 years or so. I can afford it and I happen to get a huge kick out of exploring a new computer and setting it up just like I want it. I know that does not appeal to most people but it does to me.

Eighteen months ago I bought an older version of this computer. I love it! I do make a point of keeping up with the W10 updates ASAP after they are available, and I am having no trouble with it at all. It's great to have the SSD drive and between that and the increased internet speed that Cox Cable has been giving me, well gosh, to my way of thinking it's slicker than snot.

Still, I am already keeping an eye out on what is available and what I might want next time because that is just how I am. You all know me - - I don't really spend all of my income, but new computers are one thing that make me very, very happy so I let myself spend on that.

I thought of buying a computer made by Apple, but my (limited) experience with them, mostly back in the last century, was pretty aggravating because I felt constrained and felt I frequently had to battle to do anything that was not within Apple's very limited parameters/permissions for the user. That said, I only used them in the workplace and never at home. So the idea of buying one for my home computer is interesting but I doubt I would be a good fit for one. Besides, I'm not at all dissatisfied with what I already have. I have noticed that most of those who are, are operating much older Windows computers that really should have been retired years ago IMO.

What do you do with that laptop? Mostly surf and email, watch videos?

Do you do anything which requires a lot of typing or do things like edit photos or other hobbies like music?

Where do you use it mostly, on a counter/desk or on the couch?

I have two laptops but my primary machines are an iMac where I edit and store photos.

Otherwise, I do a lot of the surfing on my iPad, which I can use anywhere.

Two laptops are mostly backups though I do run a Flex server on my Windows laptop (I could also do it from my iMac but my Windows laptop is in the living room in front of the TV) which will stream TV shows and movies that I've ripped from DVDs and Blu-Ray discs.

Laptops are more useful than iPad for typing a lot of stuff, maybe doing some light photo editing.

iPad is more portable (for instance, using in bed) and good for viewing videos. The laptops have bigger screens but the iPad has a better-quality screen and has more video sources due to apps.

I'm back to the evaluation phase as to what to do in the future. The past few days is a good example of Win 10 vs Linux. When moving away from Win 7, I'm going to have to make sure my old, trusty multi-function printer/scanner/copier still works. So, I tried installing to see how easy (or not) the process goes.

On Win 10, I found a driver so installed that. Then I tested the scanning software I've been using on Win 7. Got some type of protected memory error. Did some Googling and looks others have had this error too but nothing jumps out as to a fix. So, what I did was do a search for another scanner program. There was a very simple on, so I downloaded that. Did a quick test and that does what I need. If I move to Win 10, I probably can't use the scanner program I have in the past, but found a workaround with a different program.

On Linux (I'm using Pep OS 9 Distro), thought would be easy to just add and let linux do the driver setting for me. Used the printer driver that was automatically added. Tried to print out a test page. Printer made some noise but nothing printed. Did some googling and downloaded and installed a linux driver (command line :)) from the printer manufacturer. Printer now works, but scanner program (that came with distro) does not. Went digging around, searching around in forums. Finally found something (to make sure things are installed properly) which may work, but not sure. Involves more command line and some editing of files.

This is a good test for me, being a guinea pig seeing which I [-]dis[/-]like more.

... This is a good test for me, being a guinea pig seeing which I [-]dis[/-]like more.

IMO, that's the right/realistic attitude. There are issues with ALL OS's. Find the one that bugs you the least.

Anecdotal, sample of one story regarding scanners: I had a very old Epson scanner that was slow, but worked well. It stopped being supported by Apple and Windows, but it worked just fine on my Ubuntu installation, I don't even recall installing drivers, they may have been bundled, or were generic drivers, in the SimpleScan or XSANE app I used.

It did 'break' when I went to 64 bit Linux, but by that point, I just left it on my old 32 bit machine, never bothered to try to get it working on 64 bit, might have been easy, maybe not. Got a newer scanner though, and this old one went to recycling, so moot point now.

BTW, the old one had the cold cathode light, and had much better depth of field (focus?) than my new LED scanner - not sure why, but that seems to be the trend. The increased DOF was nice, if you couldn't get a book flat on the glass, it still scanned pretty well, even deep into the 'gutter'. I even scanned a schematic that was glued to the inside back cover of the case, and that cover had an ~ 3/8" rim on it, and it still scanned fine at that distance. Today, I'd just take a picture with my smartphone!

-ERD50

IMO, that's the right/realistic attitude. There are issues with ALL OS's. Find the one that bugs you the least.

Anecdotal, sample of one story regarding scanners: I had a very old Epson scanner that was slow, but worked well. It stopped being supported by Apple and Windows, but it worked just fine on my Ubuntu installation, I don't even recall installing drivers, they may have been bundled, or were generic drivers, in the SimpleScan or XSANE app I used.

It did 'break' when I went to 64 bit Linux, but by that point, I just left it on my old 32 bit machine, never bothered to try to get it working on 64 bit, might have been easy, maybe not. Got a newer scanner though, and this old one went to recycling, so moot point now.

BTW, the old one had the cold cathode light, and had much better depth of field (focus?) than my new LED scanner - not sure why, but that seems to be the trend. The increased DOF was nice, if you couldn't get a book flat on the glass, it still scanned pretty well, even deep into the 'gutter'. I even scanned a schematic that was glued to the inside back cover of the case, and that cover had an ~ 3/8" rim on it, and it still scanned fine at that distance. Today, I'd just take a picture with my smartphone!

-ERD50

In reading for a solution, I read one thread where someone had the same situation as the issue with my printer/scanner combo. After trying several suggestions, his last post was that he decided to run Win XP in a virtual machine and the scanner worked that way... I guess that's one solution..sort of :(.

To me, a computer is an appliance. Therefore, it should work like a refrigerator. You plug the new refrigerator in, load the food, and it cools the food to the temperature you set.

I should be able to take to computer out of the box, load a few programs that I already have and it should work. What is so d*mn difficult about that? Why must I be a software engineer to get the thing to work?

In reading for a solution, I read one thread where someone had the same situation as the issue with my printer/scanner combo. After trying several suggestions, his last post was that he decided to run Win XP in a virtual machine and the scanner worked that way... I guess that's one solution..sort of :(.

I've used Linux (Gentoo) exclusively for 15 years and scanner software (SANE) was always a pain. So much so, I didn't bother setting it up when I bought a new HP scanner/printer. About 3 years ago I realized HP had an app for my android phone which lets me scan (to email, gdrive, etc), check ink levels and other cool stuff.

So, I print from my Linux machines and just scan from/through the phone. A couple of added bonuses; the pdfs the phone app creates are smaller than the ones Linux creates and it can scan many pages into a multipage pdf, which was always an adventure in Linux.

Back
Top Bottom