Button for leaving a balance

masonmcd

Confused about dryer sheets
Under the "Investigate" tab, the radio button for "Leave some money in the portfolio for my estate" seems to be missing. Or is it just my browser?

Don't recall there ever was a radio button for that option. Maybe inputting an amount is all that is needed?

Last edited:
Under the "Investigate" tab, the radio button for "Leave some money in the portfolio for my estate" seems to be missing. Or is it just my browser?

Just checked Firecalc and it does show up in my view.

No radio button for me, just a text field.

Recent Chrome browser on Win8.1.

And it looks like if you enter a value, the amount you put in is reflected in the verbiage, but not the graph. For fun, I stuck in 100 million, which had a zero percent success rate, but the graph does not reflect that.

And it looks like if you enter a value, the amount you put in is reflected in the verbiage, but not the graph. For fun, I stuck in 100 million, which had a zero percent success rate, but the graph does not reflect that.

The graph reflects how your portfolio would have performed under the given conditions. The text above says whether that performance would have met your given criteria.

With default inputs plus entering $100M in that box, I get a graph where the portfolio mostly ends up positive, but the text says, in part:

"For our purposes, failure means the portfolio was depleted before the end of the 30 years. FIRECalc found that 122 cycles failed, for a success rate of 0.0%."

I interpret "depleted" to mean below the minimum specified (in this case, $100M).

Changing it to $300K gives a success rate of 76.2%, which seems probably accurate.

Back
Top Bottom