Buying Washer/Dryer set - helpful hints?

Too many horror stories with the newer appliances! My washer and dryer were both purchased in 1992 are still going strong, and I've never spent a penny on repairs. This thread is reinforcing my conviction to hang on to them til they die.

Buy it at Lowe's, on sale. Purchase a 10% off coupon on eBay, or find your own. Lowe's give you the extra 10% off the sale price. They also have free delivery, which is nice on a washer. If you are a Veteran, Lowe's gives 10% off too.

If you want to sell your existing washer, have Lowe's move them to the garage to sell.

If it's just myself? I don't understand.

I like a top-loading washer. Everyone in the house is tall enough to reach down to the bottom to fish out the clothes.

If it's just yourself, get a older-style top loading washer/dryer set.

I really appreciate the comments and advice. I am getting confused, though about how these things relate to each other (because I don't really understand them):

HE washer
Water-saver washer
New washers not getting clothes clean?

Join the confusion club...if you have just regular soiled clothing just about anything will clean the clothes.

HE washer will most likely cost more and be either top or front load. Wont have an agitator to my knowlege This machine might qualify you for an additional rebate from your power company...

Water saver alone should be cheaper and would probably be top load with agitator. I bought this machine assuming it would do a better job of cleaning greasy and dirty farm clothing and was greatly disappointed. In fact all the agitator does is wring my good clothes into a knot in the bottom of the tub. Even this machine takes at least 75 minutes to wash a load I set for the heavy wash cycle.You cant soak anything in the tub, if you undo the lock and pause it and don't restart the load within a few minutes it will auto drain the tub...I hate this washer.I find that hate for my washing machine is pretty d#$m annoying, in fact I'd buy a new one if I could be assured it would make me happier.
I bet right now you're sorry even asked for our opinions....

Last edited:
Check out www.abt.com if you want to see good specs, reviews, and great prices. They have low prices online, but if you call and speak with someone, they will give a little more off. No shipping and no tax unless you live in Illinois. Extremely fast shipping.

Black Friday prices have started at Lowes and Home Depot. You get an additional 5 percent off with the Lowes card. I just pay it off when the bill comes. Free delivery, but they now charge to haul away the old one.

I just put my old appliances out to the curb early on the day before garbage pickup, and within a couple of hours the metal recycle guys come along and take it.
They make $$$
I save $$$
Both benefit :dance:

We aren't brawny enough to wrangle a washer and dryer out of the house (as I said, even the installers managed to ding the floors) and it's 700 feet to the curb. We'll pay to have the old machines removed. One always did pay; it just didn't use to be broken out as a "service," in order to make the purchase "cost" look lower.

I just put my old appliances out to the curb early on the day before garbage pickup, and within a couple of hours the metal recycle guys come along and take it.
They make $$$
I save $$$

No questions. Get a Speed Queen. All the big box store models are designed around with built in obsolesce. Skip the electronics and all the fancy settings. All you need is a basic washer and dryer that doesn't break down.

Speed Queen Model AWN432SP113TW04

We've never owned either of those brands; always bought Kenmore (which is what we currently have). Will look into them, as I think the local appliance store carries Speed Queen.

My wife 's life is washing clothes. And she is an expert.

We recently had our Fisher Paykel washer control board go out.

We switched to the Speed Queen with electronic controls ($799 each) that has a 5 year warranty. My wife has had to relearn how to operate a conventional washer.

She still misses that Fisher Paykel fast spin that clothes came out almost dry.

Mine is top loading, no agitator, LG high efficiency washer, 2 years old, recommended in Consumer Reports. I even got a rebate from PG&E and the water company due to energy & water efficiency. I love it. The drum is huge, I can wash the equivalent of 2 loads in the old Maytag in this new one. The drum is deep, so if you are petite (I’m 5’4”), you might have a hard time reaching the bottom.

We bought from Best Buy. They also price match and IIRC free delivery and disposal of the old.
That sounds like the same model I bought two years ago. Best washer I have ever used! It outcleans the old style agitator washers that I have had in the past by a mile, and not only that, I can fit a king sized comforter in it or a very very VERY large load and it still does such a good job.

Luckily I am 5'9", so I can (barely) reach the bottom of the drum but I would be a little nervous about that if I was shorter. I bought one of those "grabber reacher" thingies and I use that to get those last few things out of the dryer without straining my back. That might be good for a shorter person to use with the washer, too.

Last edited:
If it's just myself? I don't understand.

I like a top-loading washer. Everyone in the house is tall enough to reach down to the bottom to fish out the clothes.

I was referring to the older-style top-loading washers with central agitator.

They have much less capacity but are substantially cheaper than HE washers, which can be front-loading or top-loading (but no central agitator)

Buy it at Lowe's, on sale. Purchase a 10% off coupon on eBay, or find your own. Lowe's give you the extra 10% off the sale price. They also have free delivery, which is nice on a washer. If you are a Veteran, Lowe's gives 10% off too.

If you want to sell your existing washer, have Lowe's move them to the garage to sell.

The post office used to have moving packets for change of address, etc and they had a Lowes 10% off coupon in them.

I bought my LG set from Lowes on sale with a 10% off coupon and a rebate.

My old washer/dryer were Amana and lasted 21 yrs - the washer still worked but the dryer konked out. I was nervous about switching to a front loader but I like it.

Pros: There were spots on my uniform pants from graphite grease that I'd couldn't get out and the new washer got the stains out in one wash. I was very surprised.

The clothes dry in the dryer in about 14 minutes because the washer removes so much water.

Cons: The front loader however is hard on my clothes and clothing I've had for a long time suddenly looks very worn.

I have to keep the door open to prevent any moldy smells.

The expense of HE detergent. I just use a very small amount of regular detergent instead. No problems so far.

I suggest avoiding all the big name/box stores and find a small operation in town that has been there since you have. I am lucky to have such a place and have been going there for the last 28 years.

There's one of those near us and we will buy all future appliances from them. I think the showroom was last updated about 1962 but the service was great. The house came with all new GE appliances and all but the refrigerator and gas stove have been replaced, and those two have both needed service calls.

I sure hope GE's jet engines are more reliable than their appliances because the appliances are crap, at least in our experience.

The last time we needed a washer we checked Consumer Reports. We selected their recommended Sears and Wirlpool Sears equiv.

Checked with Best Buy etc for price and delivery. Called Sears. Delivery in two days, better price, etc. Told the salesman to order. He asked if we wanted to come to the store and see it prior to buying. I asked if it was square and white. He laughed and said he would process the order and arrange for delivery. It was ten years old when we moved and it was still working like new.

Of course the issue is if you live alone, how many loads will you do a week. Will the savings over the lifetime of the washer pay for the higher cost of an HE washer? Particularly if you just do a cold water wash, removing the biggest energy cost of washing, and making the water usage issue less important (in terms of total energy usage) If there are more than 2 folks then the efficiency issue becomes more important. One might note that at least my observation is that laundromats tend to top loaders also.

They make $$$
I save $$$
years ago my uncle put his washer out on the curb. the trash guys wouldn't pick it up without a $25 appliance disposal fee.

He put a "for sale" sign on it, and the washer was gone the next morning.

we recently purchased a front loader and dryer. They are designed to also allow for stacking, and we found that stacking them substantially increased our floor space in the laundry room.

Recently bought LG HE washer/dryer from Home Depot. They delivered and took our old set for about $100, if I recall. Top load, huge stainless steel drum in both, and way more efficient than my previous front load HE washer. Lots of bells and whistles, which I have used some. I had checked consumer digest first and got one in their top lists, at year end model prices. Very happy with both.
We ended up having the plumbing redone in order to accommodate the HE washer, but it was 60 year old plumbing anyway.

I'm a big fan of the Speed Queen washers and dryers also - I get the old mechanical type top loading washer (AWN432SP113TW04) and mechanical electric dryer (ADE3SRGS173TW01).

I had the original Maytag Neptune front-loader washer and boy was that a nightmare! It eventually resulted in a class action suit. The Maytag repairman sure wasn't lonely!

In my current house I bought an LG front-loader HE machine, and it's been fine. No mold, and it hasn't broken in the seven years we've had it. The matching LG gas dryer is another matter. It hasn't needed repairs, but things don't get dry half the time when using the moisture sensor, and the door tends to barely crack open just enough to shut it off.

Back
Top Bottom