Calling on bourbon drinkers

Try bourbon or any whiskey, or whisky, with just a splash of unsweetened ice tea. The WSJ drink and food section turned me on to this, it really brings out the subtle flavors more.

We have a local bourbon that has won national accolades at national craft contests. Liberty Pole is the name of the distillery, made here where the Whiskey Rebellion occurred after the Revolutionary War. Several of those scoundrels moved to Kentucky to get further from the tax collectors.

I guess the other question is whether he only likes to mix bourbons, or would appreciate one you drink straight. You wouldn't want to mix Blanton or the others with anything more than a few drops of water or an ice cube. (OK, I haven't tried the splash of ice tea just mentioned.) If you aren't sure, he might try it and like it, but if he'd really prefer to mix it with coke or ginger ale, don't waste the good stuff on him.

Great input, really appreciate the comments! I'm clueless about bourbon. I think he does like to sip it on ice as well as mix it. He was drinking Old Fashioned's on Thanksgiving.

1.75L Size

I found out his favorite is Woodford Reserve. Any suggestions on something similar but more of a splurge?

I got the family size (1.75 L) for my birthday and enjoyed it very much.

To you bourbon drinkers, Basil Hayden is my favorite ‘better bourbon.’

But I found Eagle Rare on sale a few months ago and tried it, thought it was excellent! If you’re ever in the mood to try something else.

Great input, really appreciate the comments! I'm clueless about bourbon. I think he does like to sip it on ice as well as mix it. He was drinking Old Fashioned's on Thanksgiving.
+1, my fav way to drink bourbon though Luxardo cherries are essential!

+1 to the high end bottle. It's what I'd like. I agree with the storekeeper who said the better ones don't generally come in the airplane size.
Two reasons for that:
1. The absolute price.
2. To give the impression of scarcity/quality/etc regardless if so.

Update - I decided to go with the Woodford Double Oaked. It's a step up from the reserve but only $20 more so if he likes it and wants to continue drinking it, it won't kill him to upgrade. Thinking of a nice glass to go with it. I looked and there are several different shapes that all claim to bring out the best in bourbon. Any advice on a glass in the $20-$30 or less range per glass?

I find glass styles is really just marketing, or my palate isn’t sophisticated enough. Does he drink his whiskey on the rocks or neat? If on the rocks, then any attractive glass will work. If warm, then a brandy style glass will be superior as it harnesses the warmth of your hand to release the bouquet of the spirit.

Great info. Lately I have had an occasional glass of Knob Creek. I would love to try some others.

I use a glencairn glass if I'm sipping it straight. This https://www.amazon.com/Woodford-Reserve-Glencairn-Whiskey-Tasting/dp/B01CGZYXH2 is nice with the logo, but very pricy. A non-logo one is half price or less. I don't think I've paid more than $12 for one of mine.

Any kind of rocks glass would work nice with ice. I know there are supposedly some glasses getter than others, but I'm not sure most of us can tell the difference. Sometimes liquor stores have box sets with the bottle and glasses, especially around the holidays. This pair currently on ebay have the logo and look really nice.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-WOOD...688842?hash=item5d7834dcca:g:LroAAOSwmudaGfex
You can also get non-logo glasses cheaper. Personally I'd just look for something that looks classy.

I'm making up Old Fashioned baskets for gifts. Makers Mark, Reg and orange bitters, sugar swizzle sticks and Luxardo cherries, boy those are expensive ! My mom had an old fashioned every night and I've started down that road at least in the winter.

Last edited:
The main thing about any "spirit" glass is the fact that you have to be able to get your nose into the glass. The human tongue can only taste sweet, sour, bitter, salt and sometimes unami or savory. All other "tastes" are perceived by your sense of smell. And everyone's sense of smell is different; that is why some taste certain flavors in booze, get grossed out by broccoli, cigars, or baby diapers.

When wine tasting, and I'm sure the same for anything else, is to have the item at the preferred temp. For dry red wine, it is 60-68 degrees. You pour liquid into the glass no higher than the widest part of the glass, and swirl. Take a sniff of the aromas with your mouth open, then swirl some more. Then take a sniff and a sip. Sniff and repeat.

This also depends if your palate is clean... that is, you haven't had anything sweet before a dry liquid, or a sour substance before a sweet. Think orange juice after brushing your teeth......yeeech!

Cold drinks should be served in stemware or heavy glasses so the heat of your hand doesn't warm the drink and drive the subtle aromas out. Beers should be served accordingly with a slight foamy head to release the aromas. Conversely, red wines, liqours can be put in stemware, but should be held by the bowl to warm the liquid and release the aroma.

A neat trick to prove these points are to have someone hold their nose/close their eyes while a jelly bean of an unknown flavor is placed upon the tongue by an associate. They will only ascertain the salt, sweet, bitter, sour or unami flavor.

The choice of glassware is widespread, and those of a certain shape marketed by a particular spirit maker, may be to enhance the particular flavors that that liquid is known for. So yes it is marketing and scientific.

I will try to find a Youtube video link by Barbara Stuckey given to a Google Friday seminar about tasting, years ago. I found it quite interesting.

Last edited:
I use a glencairn glass if I'm sipping it straight. This https://www.amazon.com/Woodford-Reserve-Glencairn-Whiskey-Tasting/dp/B01CGZYXH2 is nice with the logo, but very pricy. A non-logo one is half price or less. I don't think I've paid more than $12 for one of mine.

Any kind of rocks glass would work nice with ice. I know there are supposedly some glasses getter than others, but I'm not sure most of us can tell the difference. Sometimes liquor stores have box sets with the bottle and glasses, especially around the holidays. This pair currently on ebay have the logo and look really nice.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-WOOD...688842?hash=item5d7834dcca:g:LroAAOSwmudaGfex
You can also get non-logo glasses cheaper. Personally I'd just look for something that looks classy.

Glasses! How classy! That's a great idea! I'll have to try that the next time I'm drinking bourbon.

Last edited:
If you like Knob or Makers Mark or any of the other super smooth bourbons, but might want to try something with a little more edge, I would recommend Bulleits. I discovered it 5 years ago, and it's become my go to whiskey. Sometimes I go with the rye for a spicier flavor. Good stuff, not too expensive (in the vicinity of MM), and definitely has some character. Plus there's a move about it.
Well not really about it, but close.

+1, perfect answers for neat and with ice IMO. Any rocks glass is fine, so anyone can choose, I like the ones with hefty glass bottoms.

And for neat, the Glencairn glass is the standard for all whiskeys as RB showed, they’re not expensive at all. Ours were $7 each at Crate & Barrel.
776068_0_9999_v1_m56577569854698768.png

Last edited:
And for Old Fashioneds (or most cocktails), I prefer one large ice “cube,” more chill-less melt. The big round ice spheres are cool, but they're fussier to make and about $15-30 for a mold that makes two spheres. The grande or king cube trays are easier and about a $7-8 silicone tray makes six cubes. I’ve seen both at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
2102016-1149-2.jpg

icerounds-main.jpg

Last edited:
And for Old Fashioneds (or most cocktails), I prefer one large ice “cube,” more chill-less melt. The big round ice spheres are cool, but they're fussier to make and about $15-30 for a mold that makes two spheres. The grande or king cube trays are easier and about a $7-8 silicone tray makes six cubes. I’ve seen both at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
2102016-1149-2.jpg

icerounds-main.jpg

Maker's Mark has gifted me both kinds of molds over the years, I prefer the block, as it cools the glass in my uncommonly hot hands.

Certainly less melt, but for the same reason there's less melt - less ice surface area per weight of ice - there's also less chill per time. But probably still good enough.

Certainly less melt, but for the same reason there's less melt - less ice surface area per weight of ice - there's also less chill per time. But probably still good enough.
Fair enough. I should’ve just said less melt the less water (dilution) the better.

There are whiskey stones, and others that could mess with your head. :D
742429.jpg

Whiskey-Wedge-by-Corkcicle-6-600x483.jpg

thegearpost_final_touch_roller_rock_glass_whiskey.jpg

Corkcicle-Cigar-Glass-main.jpg

2102016-1149-2.jpg

icerounds-main.jpg

Thanks Midpack! I found out he always drinks it with ice so I think the big block ice mold is a great idea. And he likes Old Fashioneds so a jar of those fancy cherries could be good too. He already has the correct kind of glass since he never just drinks it neat.

Back
Top Bottom