Calling our Member Physicists

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Are we about to go beyond the standard particle model and tie everything together beyond mathematical theories?

Not a physicaist myself but very familiar with some, (worked for NASA in administrative positions) I follow the general developments and it is clear that the Standard Model could not explain gravity and applying Einstein's calculations lead to the identification of dark matter and dark energy. Still the SM covers 99.99+% of our daily lives in the mechanical world, even Newtonian physics does that. So we are at a point where the access to subatomic particles are leading to new questions which are likely to be more powerful than any initial answers. Of course we are stil aiming towards a TOF Theory of Everything but asymptototically we may close in on it and never reach it. There are countless good YouTube//TED talks and public lectures. One I like is
And there is simple good reading like Hawking's Brief History of Time. Great mind expanding stuff.

Probably about like fusion reactors. 10 years in the future, and has been for the last 50 years....

Probably about like fusion reactors. 10 years in the future, and has been for the last 50 years....
+1
Although, I am retired and don't keep up with physics any more. I should care but I guess I'm "going through a phase".

Grin. Like old time religion Newton is good enough for me.

Do take a peak on things on U Tube once in a while - BUT to paraphrase Feynman when I think I understand then I know I don't.

:dance: :flowers:

Heh heh heh - The Holy Grail is the speed of light barrier. ;)

Are we about to go beyond the standard particle model and tie everything together beyond mathematical theories?

I am only 30 seconds in to the video so far, but I am wondering why the hell they are showing still shots of NSLS-II to describe this question?

Edit: I conclude there is no reason. The g-2 experiment at Brookhaven National Lab (which also houses NSLS-II) was later moved to Fermilab. (The move was an interesting journey in its own right.) I conclude that the people who made this film needed a photo that represented Brookhaven, and they chose some facility (where I have worked) that has nothing at all to do with the g-2 experiment.

Last edited:
I am waiting for something that will give me flying/hovering capabilities like a hummingbird but with silent operation.

There are no new physics. Just mother nature unwilling to reveal all her secrets easily. Nature was, is and will be.

I have an engineer's understanding of physics. I don't need to know why gravity exists, just that it does.

I have an engineer's understanding of physics. I don't need to know why gravity exists, just that it does.

Without gravity think of where the poor Australians would be! On the other hand, without gravity we could put more marines on Guam without it flipping over and capsizing. /s/ :LOL:

Last edited:

I have a physicist's understanding of physics, but...... There is so much to know, and so much that I don't! “The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.” (Geoffrey Chaucer)

In the 1950's we were told that in 20 years everyone would have flying cars. I'm still waiting....:mad:

Back
Top Bottom