can we sign up for ACA now but have it start later

DEC-1982

Full time employment: Posting here.
Are we allowed to sign up for Obamacare now, but have it start in June 2017? If yes, do I need to go to one of the consultants/facilitators to get this done or can I do this myself through Healthcare.gov?

You will need to wait till Nov. for open enrollment if don't need it till June. So in June if you lose your HC then you can get ACA it would be a life happening that would qualify you to get ACA then.

You can do it yourself or go through the exchange healthcare.gov and they will walk you through the process.

Do a search on your questions and you will find the help you need. I hope this helped.

street is correct that you would need a special enrollment event to get insurance to start in June. Be careful with the term "lose health insurance". Running out of cobra eligibility when you are using that as your insurance creates a special enrollment period. However, deciding to stop cobra before eligibility runs out does not.
If you have a SEP (special enrollment period), this will open up signing up for insurance +/- 60 days from the event. Typically insurance will actually end when month changes (you have it on the last day of the month, but not the first day of the following month. You likely have to get your insurance forms accepted by the 15th of the month prior to when you wan it to start... and paid before the 1st day it takes effect.
At least I believe this is how it works under current set of rules.

Thanks. During my browsing in the healthcare.gov site, I missed seeing and didn't know about the 60-day period. I'll start the process in late April or early May.

End of company based coverage (initiated by the company) is a qualifying event for an SEP.

You can do almost everything on their website. If you need to call, do it in the morning on a weekday and have your coffee and patience ready.

Just remember that the amounts credit to your deductible and OOP will be reset back to zero with a new policy.

Good luck trying to collect anything with the new policy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom