Can Your Car Navigation GPS or App Block Out Certain Areas?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Got back from a trip recently.

Not are from me there is road construction from hell where 3 major interstates are torn apart for construction. Some exits are closed, some are not. How I actually made to the my proper exit is still a bit of mystery.

After arriving home, one of the first things I did was to block out that area on my GPS. Construction isn't scheduled to finish until 2026, but I don't wish to go through that again.

I bought this newer (to me) GPS for this feature along with better detours than my older GPS. Now I use both. My older for day to day, but the newer like a hired gun for these custom area avoiding.

I know many folks use apps these days. In apps, can you also choose to block off certain areas to avoid ahead of time?

I have 4 apps on my phone plus the Nav built into our cars. Some of them provide alternate routes with the quickest route highlighted. They seem to be pretty accurate wrt trip length so they account for construction and typical traffic for the time of day. I always assumed they can monitor cell phone and other devices. Waze shows construction, congestion, and police activity. I don’t know if specific sections can be blocked out.

The block out area feature on my GPS is one feature that comes in so handy. It does take some patience to select the area, but only a do once thing then I toggle to enable or disable the block out. Good to not only block out construction but also some super busy freeways I have no desire to see my life flash before me getting on.

Construction areas are clearly marked on Google Maps. Alternate routes are suggested with the estimated time to arrival. Also, accidents are indicated on Google Maps within minutes of them happening and alternate routes suggested.

I don't know if it's possible to block out routes on this app.

I love Google Maps.

Your phone will know this stuff far better than any non-phone GPS. Google knows when things are blocked or even just slow and will avoid them for you.

Google is not always right. It shows Mtn 99 north of Kernville closed a few miles uphill. But, it has been open at least 2 weeks.

Big fan of Waze, it has saved my butt multiple times, although occasionally you will get stuck in a traffic jam it didn't know about or wasn't able to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom