Cancer risk in everyday products

Here's one for you. One of the researchers at my w*rk told me that DDT is one of the carcinogens that is highly prevalent. The good news is that it tends to sit in fat cells and lies dormant most of the time. The bad news is that if you lose weight, all the DDT comes flooding into your system, which is not good news.

I can't recall if she said anything about DDT actually causing obesity, but it wouldn't surprise me - everything else does.

So, stay fat and happy. Dieting could kill you.

At least, that's my story.... and I'm sticking to it.

Nui

Here's one for you. One of the researchers at my w*rk told me that DDT is one of the carcinogens that is highly prevalent. The good news is that it tends to sit in fat cells and lies dormant most of the time. The bad news is that if you lose weight, all the DDT comes flooding into your system, which is not good news.
What does this researcher do ? And what paranoid web sites does s/he frequent? DDT was banned in the United States in 1972 and is hardly used anywhere in the world. And this idea that complex organohalogen molecules are somehow vacuumed out of your system by body fat is just a myth which lets people sound science-y.

I can't recall if she said anything about DDT actually causing obesity, but it wouldn't surprise me - everything else does.
Is this for real ? Exactly one thing causes obesity: eating more calories than you burn off.

Here's one for you. One of the researchers at my w*rk told me that DDT is one of the carcinogens that is highly prevalent.

Nui

Sounds fishy to me. My memory and a little googling identifies DDT as a possible carcinogen, while a common substance we are often exposed to, gasoline, contains known carcinogens.

Filling your tank could kill you.

-ERD50

Courtesy of xkcd.com:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-17 at 2.38.53 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-17 at 2.38.53 PM.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 2
At this point, it seems that almost everything we consume will cause cancer. This website is helpful in identifying many cosmetics that we use that have carcinogenic ingredients: Skin Deep Cosmetics Database | Environmental Working Group

From what I've learned thus far, it's good to keep a diet high in antioxidants and a regular regiment of detoxification is one of the best ways to prevent cancer. Even still, it seems like it could still happen even if you do everything right.

Back
Top Bottom