car trip recommendations

mn54

Full time employment: Posting here.
we will be traveling by car from mpls to AZ. I see the possible routes, s. 35 to I-90,s. 35 to I-80, and s.35 to 54, or s. 35 to I 40. anyone with experience driving these roads, especially this time of year?

I vote, go south as quickly as possible.

Agree. This time of year you’re not sightseeing (I hope not anyway) and I35 to I40 gets you south the quickest. Main thing is give yourself plenty of time, especially until you get further south. Then keep your eye on the weather. There are ice storms all the way down into Texas. May not last long, but an ruin your day/trip. We went from Michigan to Texas once in the spring and got in a snow storm in Georgia. Actually wasn’t too bad, but remember, souther states don’t have the road equipment that the northern states have and the drivers are not as adept at driving in wintery conditions.

Where is your destination in AZ, how much time do you want to take to get there, and what is your interest in seeing the landscape along the way, apart from the interstate?

If the weather is holding, I'd go to I-80 or I-70 west, then take I-25 south. Always like the drive along the Front Range, and northern NM has beautiful scenery.

Decision at ABQ - If you're going to the east side of the Phoenix area (Mesa, Chandler), take I-40 west if the weather deteriorates. If it's clear, and you're willing to take some extra time, get off at Holbrook and take 377 to 260 to 87. That drops you in the Valley just east of Scottsdale and in central/west Mesa.

If you're going to central Phoenix or the west side, get off at Winslow, see the Jackson Browne Statue :), take 87 to a different leg of 260 along the Verde Valley to I-17 south and into to Phoenix.

If you're going to Tucson or points south, stay on I-25 to Las Cruces, the I-10 west.

If the weather is marginal->bad, get to I-40 post haste and take it to most direct interstate route to your destination in AZ (I-40 ->I-17) for most of the Phoenix area

I agree. 35 to 40 is best at this time of year.

I've driven Chicago-Phoenix many times early January. Always on 40 in the winter. Sometimes 40 can be tough. Snow in the higher elevations around Flagstaff, Az. And we had snow and ice from Chicago into Texas once.

If you can, plan your trip around the weather.

If you're going to central Phoenix or the west side, get off at Winslow, see the Jackson Browne Statue :), take 87 to a different leg of 260 along the Verde Valley to I-17 south

Glenn Frey statue is in Standin' on the Corner Park. Good stop for sure and, well, such a fine sight to see.

+1. Driving home from Arizona to Michigan one spring, it was shorter to go through Colorado, but we took a southern route to avoid the mountains and likely snow delays.

Decision at ABQ - If you're going to the east side of the Phoenix area (Mesa, Chandler), take I-40 west if the weather deteriorates. If it's clear, and you're willing to take some extra time, get off at Holbrook and take 377 to 260 to 87. That drops you in the Valley just east of Scottsdale and in central/west Mesa.

Just don't stay overnight in ABQ, unless you want to risk your vehicle being broken into or stolen. Read up on it, ABQ is very bad for hotel parking lot crimes.

Back to orig question, I-40 is a major trucking route, especially in winter. So it is kept clear in all but the worst snowstorms. I have taken hwy 54 before, it goes through the smaller towns and it is tougher to make good time vs the interstates. Hwy is good for the scenery and seeing or stopping at sites in the states, at the expense of being 2 lane in many areas, and slow going and stoplights through the towns. Interstate is much faster to get from locations, but less to see and do along the trip. Not sure how much you want to be tourist vs just get to the warmer location.

Truck Traffic Hwy 54

Once you get to Pratt it is two lane with lots of truck traffic going different speeds. I don't recommend it.

thanks for the advice. i guess i will take I-40 to albuquerque. we were planning on stopping in albuquerque but we might have to rethink that if the crime is that bad. is there a better place to stop for the night near albuquerque?

Agree. This time of year you’re not sightseeing (I hope not anyway) and I35 to I40 gets you south the quickest. Main thing is give yourself plenty of time, especially until you get further south. Then keep your eye on the weather. There are ice storms all the way down into Texas. May not last long, but an ruin your day/trip. We went from Michigan to Texas once in the spring and got in a snow storm in Georgia. Actually wasn’t too bad, but remember, souther states don’t have the road equipment that the northern states have and the drivers are not as adept at driving in wintery conditions.

Michigan to Texas via Georgia?

We’ve driven between Sioux Falls, SD and Tucson, AZ many times and have taken 54 and don’t mind it a bit and will be doing so again next month. Given that you’re coming from Mpls I would take I-35 to I-40. In January we will be staying overnight on east side of Abq which seems to be a relatively safe area.

Also, we’ll be staying in Tucumcari going the other way which to me is a bit nicer than Santa Rosa for restaurants.

We’ve driven between Sioux Falls, SD and Tucson, AZ many times and have taken 54 and don’t mind it a bit and will be doing so again next month. Given that you’re coming from Mpls I would take I-35 to I-40. In January we will be staying overnight on east side of Abq which seems to be a relatively safe area.

taking 54 out of wichita instead of going down to OKC to get to I40 would save 100 miles . when you say say you don't mind taking 54 what exactly does that mean? I realize there are some small towns you have to go thru and slow down for.

Sorry. Arkansas. It was about 35 years ago when my dad lived there and we went to visit.

Sorry to question you. I figured your went out your way for a reason (and Arkansas is right on the way). Just could not resist the comment. :D

according to the crime stats for albuquerque the most dangerous area is the s.e.area.

Def watch the weather.

I did a road trip from AR to L.A. 2 years ago, beginning of November. The weather in Texas was evil going out. Torrential rain, hard to see where you are going.

Coming back was worse. Ice and snow, and crawled through a miles long jam on I40. Never saw so many jack knifed, overturned, spilled load semi trucks in my life. Temps were in the teens when I left and had to pour hot water on my windshield to get the ice off, same for the gas filler door. Probably should have just holed up in my room for a day, but there was nothing to do in that small town.

ABQ is now only 6th highest car theft in nation. Used to be number one.
https://www-krqe-com.cdn.ampproject...ks-sixth-in-top-auto-thefts-according-to-apd/

But the hotel crime is where it's really bad. Many cases of people losing their whole car, truck and trailer; with all of their household stuff. Before I moved 4 years ago, numerous examples of car crime with high concentration in hotel parking lots. I guess it is easy pickings.

Just this past fall a friend went back to ABQ for a reunion, his truck was broken into and the ignition key messed up. Thankfully a security guard stopped it and saved his truck from being stolen. My friend sent the security guard $100 as a thanks. Truck still needed $1000 in repairs.

Just don't stay overnight in ABQ, unless you want to risk your vehicle being broken into or stolen. Read up on it, ABQ is very bad for hotel parking lot crimes.

Back to orig question, I-40 is a major trucking route, especially in winter. So it is kept clear in all but the worst snowstorms. I have taken hwy 54 before, it goes through the smaller towns and it is tougher to make good time vs the interstates. Hwy is good for the scenery and seeing or stopping at sites in the states, at the expense of being 2 lane in many areas, and slow going and stoplights through the towns. Interstate is much faster to get from locations, but less to see and do along the trip. Not sure how much you want to be tourist vs just get to the warmer location.

I once delivered a 4 cylinder pickup truck to Phoenix. I didn't get good feels staying in Albuquerque either.

Nobody told me that New Mexico is uphill from the east to the west. That underpowered truck barely would run as we got to higher altitudes around Flagstaff--where we turned south.

we will be traveling by car from mpls to AZ. I see the possible routes, s. 35 to I-90,s. 35 to I-80, and s.35 to 54, or s. 35 to I 40. anyone with experience driving these roads, especially this time of year?

Same here, literally, so this thread is helpful and interesting. Our plan is to visit relatives in Las Cruces, NM for a few days and then either to do Tucson - or - Austin on the long trip back. Never been to Las Cruces.

I think the time of year will dictate whether we go to Tucson or Austin. If we go in February then we will go to Tucson. If we wait until March we will probably go to Austin.

I once delivered a 4 cylinder pickup truck to Phoenix. I didn't get good feels staying in Albuquerque either.

Stopped in Albuquerque to eat on the way from Los Angeles to Denver. Guy gets stabbed on the street outside of the Denny's and runs inside. Bleeding everywhere while the manger tries to get him out. Paramedics respond and the guy who had been stabbed starts fighting with them.

Next morning cops had a major speed trap operation. on I-25 and were pulling over 9/10 of all of the traffic.

Never have gotten near Albuquerque since nor had the desire to.

Back
Top Bottom