Car wash: by hand or automatic?

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just got done washing my car by hand. It took 1 hour total using a wash mitt and garden hose. I kept wondering if paying to have it done was not such a bad idea. The cost around here might be around $13 for automated washing and some hand work.

Our cars are older models and I am not that fussy about the final result. I would not have it detailed for $25 (or more). If I paid to do it I might have it done a bit more like every 3 or 4 months as right now I just wash it maybe after 8 months (yes it can be quite dirty by then).

The reason I have done it by hand is because I had read long ago that the automated washes were bad for the finish. Maybe those articles referred to the old type with whirling brushes. But maybe some car washes nowadays have improved the process? One article I read said that hand washing created abrasions probably because garden hoses don't get off the abrasive stuff before doing the hand wash: The best car wash for your car's finish? Hand car wash vs automatic car wash

What do others here do?

Last edited:
Auto for me. Cost $5 for the basic that includes a guy manually washing the front and back. Then auto from there. Finishes with air drying. Does a great job. Ill never hand wash one again. I do hand polish once a year.

I take my car in every now and then for a wash, not the drive thru at the gas station, but a full service place. They have machines for the main wash, but not those big old brushes.

A full wash with hand dry, vacuum, surface cleaning the interiors, etc., will run about $25 most good places. I get a deal with a wax for more, about once a year, to help my paint last longer (S. Fla, near the ocean, paint will start to show wear in about 6 years without waxing).

I'll do my own hand wash in between, but just the wash. I cannot stand to do the drying part by hand, even with a chamois. So then I get the water marks but that's why I don't have a black car anymore, as you can get away with it more on a lighter color.

I wash by hand just because I’m cheap and won’t pay for a wash, I just use a synthetic chamois and a bucket of water, no soap, takes me 10 minutes. If it’s really dirty and gritty I use a wash soap that has wax in it but that’s kinda rare, it’s usually just a light film that my 10 minute wipe down technic will take care of, I’ll put a coat of spray and wax occasionally that takes another 10 minutes

I used to insist on only hand washing because of the abrasiveness of the automatic machines. Even if they're felt pads, those get a lot of embedded grit in them and scratch the clear coat. But now, with some back, knee, and shoulder issues washing by hand just isn't worth the pain it causes. I do take them to one of those automatic washers that use only high-pressure water and soap, but even those don't do a great job and leave a fine layer of dirt on.

There's a detailing shop across the street from where we have maintenance/repairs done and I'm thinking of taking them there a couple of times a year.

I figure that even with an automatic wash, the paint will look good (enough) for the life of the car. In northern climates like mine, they use salt so it will rust out from inside (underneath) out before the paint finish breaks down. I’d only hand wash if it was my classic car for weekend driving that never saw snow/ice/salt and was garage kept.

Generally what I do is spray my cars off frequently and then get an automatic wash when it gets to looking a little rough. Also, having a gray/silver car helps. Doesn’t show the dirt like say black. Black cars, before clear coats were common, would have never seen an automatic wash. It would have definitely shown the damage from the automatic wash. I used to love black cars. Now, I wouldn’t want one.

Drive thru auto wash for my truck. Hand washing sounds too much like work. ($6-8)

I drive it through the robo wash at the gas station once a month and get hand jobbed twice a year.

Only wash by hand or car wash by hand for the convertible.

Washed @ home until about 3 years ago. Now go to a full service. Attendant cleans all the bugs off the grill & front window (really bad here during summer) & gives you a towel to wipe down the interior as you're going through. Rain-X is applied, & attendants dry the door wells @ the end. $13.50

I notice some people tipping at the end. I don't

Me, hand wash about every two or three weeks, weather permitting. I polish/wax the truck twice a year. Truck is 21 years old and looks new.

DW brings her much newer SUV to the car wash and pays about $14. I wax her SUV annually.

I hand wash mine every week. Every six months or so we have a mobile detailing shop come out and give her a once over. He also waxes her for me. costs about $150 each detail but it's worth it to me and DW to have a sparkling ride.

I'm lazy.

I'm on the monthly plan with a local car wash. I can go there as often as I like and in the winter I go quite a bit to clean off salt and grime.

It's a modern automatic wash, though I do have to vac and dry myself.

My car is 14.5 years old. I haven't washed it in a few years. I just use the sqeegee from the gas station to clean the windows and lights for free.

Automatic wash for me... I got better things to do with my time and while I like to keep my vehicles nice I don't need showroom or exhibition quality. At home, my favorite place's best wash is $12 but if the vehicle isn't too dirty I chose the cheaper wash.... down south there is a place nearby that does a decent job for $6.

I'm on a month plan also for $15/month for a basic wash through their tunnel.
But on the motorhome I use Wash Wax All which works great.

Z3 Roadster - Hand wash only. All the others - Automated.

Hand wash only. Both vehicles take about 40 minutes. Cheaper, better and less time consumed than driving to the car wash

I take it to the automatic car wash. It used to be $3 but they raised it to $5 a couple of years ago. They have free vacuums, the use of microfiber towels and window cleaner. Once in a while I spring for the extra $3 for the teenagers to use their giant brushes and soapy water on the front, sides, and rear.

I'm always amazed at how many people spring for the $20, "ultra-deluxe" wash (I can see the board showing what level wash they get, and often people leave their cc receipts in the machine).

I can't recall the last time I washed a car - by hand or auto-bath. The last time I had a car newer than 6 years old was 20+ years ago (meaning that routine washes don't pay for themselves in "preserving" the car.) Having said that, we lend our cars to other folks when we are away for extended periods. Typically, they return the cars to us washed - so I guess that's about once a year. Not sure whether they are robo-washed or detailed. YMMV

All cars hand washed by me with the 3 bucket method (1 for wheels only) with a foaming rinse before the wash. Takes me an hour, I have a rotation so every car gets washed every 10 days. I like doing it.

I just spent 40 hours over the course of a week detailing my car.
The wife's car is a lease so it doesn't get that much but still more than most.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom