Cash in a brokered cd?

pletal

Recycles dryer sheets
I have a brokered cd paying 3.3% and it comes due 4/2/2024. I paid $ 320k for 10 year term. Interest goes into a sweep account. It is showing a value of $350k right now. Would it be wide to sell it now and put it into a 5 year Mutual of Ohama fixed annuity I just opened paying 2.6% for the next 5 years? It looks like I can be up about 30k (i know taxes) but that's about what I would have made over the term

Thanks for any advice on this, Happy 4th !

Your $320k at 3.3% will be worth $364k in 4 years.... $320k*(1+3.3%)^4

Meanwhile, $350k would result in $30k capital gain and $4.5k capital gains tax at 15%.... so $345.5k in the MYGA... at 2.6% in 4 years would be worth $383k.

One problem might be that your MOA annuity will likely exceed the state guaranty fund limit in the event MOA expereinces financial difficulties.

All if that said, 3.3% is a nice rate.

Do you have any major tax issues with receiving the income all in one year from the MYGA vs. each year from a CD?
ACA income management, etc?

If so, you could use the 10% free withdrawal provision to withdraw the interest so you don't get slammed when withdrawn later.

Do you have any major tax issues with receiving the income all in one year from the MYGA vs. each year from a CD?
ACA income management, etc?
No , it doesn't really matter. I am usually in the highest tax bracket either way

Your $320k at 3.3% will be worth $364k in 4 years.... $320k*(1+3.3%)^4

Meanwhile, $350k would result in $30k capital gain and $4.5k capital gains tax at 15%.... so $345.5k in the MYGA... at 2.6% in 4 years would be worth $383k.

One problem might be that your MOA annuity will likely exceed the state guaranty fund limit in the event MOA expereinces financial difficulties.

All if that said, 3.3% is a nice rate.

I guess I will have to find out about the state fund item, Not sure on that.

The "value" shown of $350k is not an indication of what you could expect to sell it at. The only way you will know is if you request a bid and see what comes back. It would likely be less than you are expecting.

In any case, when I do this with my bonds, I request the bid, then use a price/yield calculator to determine what that price equates to as yield to maturity. If that YTM is competitive with what the current market yields are, then I consider selling. As previously mentioned, you're likely to find that the bid will represent a YTM above what the current market yield is and so it will likely not be to your advantage to sell.

I periodically test the waters with a 4.125% CD I have maturing September 2024. The bids always come back ridiculously low, while the "value" shown for it is about 15% above face value. I have no problem holding until maturity if they want to play games with their bids.

Last edited:
The "value" shown of $350k is not an indication of what you could expect to sell it at. The only way you will know is if you request a bid and see what comes back. It would likely be less than you are expecting.

In any case, when I do this with my bonds, I request the bid, then use a price/yield calculator to determine what that price equates to as yield to maturity. If that YTM is competitive with what the current market yields are, then I consider selling. As previously mentioned, you're likely to find that the bid will represent a YTM above what the current market yield is and so it will likely not be to your advantage to sell.

I periodically test the waters with a 4.125% CD I have maturing September 2024. The bids always come back ridiculously low, while the "value" shown for it is about 15% above face value. I have no problem holding until maturity if they want to play games with their bids.

Update on this. I did sell one. I paid 50k, sold for a little over 55k (long term cap gains tax) took that money and put it in a 2.75 fixed annuity for 7 years. Looks like doing the math I up about $1600 for the term left on the CD by doing this. They do play games with their bids

Back
Top Bottom