Cat Stevens at the Jon Stewart rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a thread about a singer and a song, both of which I remember fondly from my youth. Nothing more.

Whether intentional or not, when it is posted in the context of "at the Jon Stewart rally", it isn't just a singer and a song anymore. The context does make a difference. I understand that might have just been a time & place coincidence for you, but you get what you get with a public post.

Peace.

-ERD50

Whether intentional or not, when it is posted in the context of "at the Jon Stewart rally", it isn't just a singer and a song anymore. The context does make a difference. I understand that might have just been a time & place coincidence for you, but you get what you get with a public post.

Peace.

-ERD50

And what, pray tell, IS the context?

But NOT because his name is Yusuf Islam...
Absolutely. Surely not every person named Yusuf Islam is a Muslim, and not every Muslim wants to obey the fatwas issued against Salman Rushdie.
But, many do, including the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens who now chooses to go by Yusuf Islam, a name he adopted as being more congruent with his faith. And this faith is also what he cites as being the reason for his desire to have Rushdie killed. So, in this case, the name change and the objectionable idea apparently stem from the same root cause.

And what, pray tell, IS the context?
I'm not sure what ERD thinks, but for me, I think irony is always worth pointing out, if only to give us a chuckle. And the idea of featuring a person who has espoused these views at a "Rally to Restore Sanity," and in which the organizers claimn to want to tone down the rhetoric, is more than mildly ironic. And, then he'll sing a signature song, "Peace Train." It's all a little funny.

Maybe the "peace of the dead". . .

As I said, it was a post about a singer and a song. Pleasant memories - which remain intact. I mentioned the location. jeez.

I'm out of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom