Central Air died. Options?

Yeah, but the leak could be a slow leak. My system is 10 years old and the guy put 3 pounds of R410 in last year. Almost a full charge. Works great.

One of my two units needed two pounds of R410 when the tech was here for my first ever maintenance in early July. It's also 10 years old and we didn't even notice as it was cooling fine. The tech said it may have a slow leak or it may been undercharged at the factory and the installing contractor did not have checked it properly. Not unusual based on his experience.

I guess will know for sure at next year's maintenance check.

Last edited:
OK. The capacitor definitely needs to be replaced. It was bubbled up. It is 30/5. 97F9833. I struggled a lot getting the screws out to take the cover off and only got 2 of the 6 back on. Oh well, that will have to be good enough for now. Now I can order a new part and get someone who knows what they are doing to safely get it installed.

Congrats on figuring it out. I think you could complete the job yourself. That said, when I had the same problem, I called a repair guy. Less than $100. Like you, I don't really like messing with wires. I'll replace switches and plugs, but shy away from other stuff.

Good luck.

To turn off the power, just flip the double breaker marked "Air Conditioner". All you need to do is open the breaker box door to access the breakers.

OK. The capacitor definitely needs to be replaced. It was bubbled up. It is 30/5. 97F9833. I struggled a lot getting the screws out to take the cover off and only got 2 of the 6 back on. Oh well, that will have to be good enough for now. Now I can order a new part and get someone who knows what they are doing to safely get it installed.

$10 shipped from Amazon. Will take a couple weeks to deliver though. However, that gives you time to find someone willing to assist with the install and you to get more youtube instruction.
https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Round-C...1&keywords=97F9833&qid=1597532387&s=hi&sr=1-5
I would bet a local source could supply one in stock and you would be chilling much faster.

Don't worry about selecting the right breaker, just go to the main electric panel where the meter is and turn off the main breaker for the whole house. You are then sure power is off. Swap out the wires from one cap to the other one at a time. Then put the cover on, power up at the meter and turn the AC thermostat back to run.

Last edited:
...... Swap out the wires from one cap to the other one at a time. Then put the cover on, power up at the meter and turn the AC thermostat back to run.
But put a screwdriver across the terminals first to bleed off any charge.

But put a screwdriver across the terminals first to bleed off any charge.

That's one of the things I saw in the videos I watched. I would never have had a clue that was necessary and still don't know exactly what to do. Not sure I want to risk a big shock

That's one of the things I saw in the videos I watched. I would never have had a clue that was necessary and still don't know exactly what to do. Not sure I want to risk a big shock

Not a big deal. It'll get your attention but it won't hurt. Much, anyway.:)

Yeah, one little poke won't kill ya. Be brave!

Great thread! Here in SE Arizona, AC is almost a matter of life and death, especially in the current heat wave. Makes me want to pull the cover off my AC to check out the required cap. Maybe do a preventative replace or at least keep a few on hand. Come to think of it, maybe pick up stuff for the furnace too (main board, hot surface igniter, flame sensor).

Lost an AC cap 20 years ago. Spent $350 for the $10 part and 5 minutes of labor. Now I know better.

$10 shipped from Amazon. Will take a couple weeks to deliver though. However, that gives you time to find someone willing to assist with the install and you to get more youtube instruction.
https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Round-C...1&keywords=97F9833&qid=1597532387&s=hi&sr=1-5
I would bet a local source could supply one in stock and you would be chilling much faster.
Or splurge on this one
https://www.amazon.com/Genteq-Repla...S4DP3NJJ2PR&psc=1&refRID=W70E5T888S4DP3NJJ2PR
It's a few bucks more but you'll have it in a couple of days

OP - Glad to hear you know it's the capacitor that is bad.

Note: I would have shut off the power to the A/C inside the house at the breaker panel, it should be very obvious which one it is, and will need to be off to replace the capacitor anyhow. I would have shut off the power because I'd hate to drop a screw/tool onto something with voltage running.

If you watch more you tube videos, you will see:

1. Turn off the breaker for the A/C in the house (you do know what the breaker is ?)
  2. Take a photo or two with your phone before doing any work. Then you will know which wire goes where.
  3. Look at your new capacitor carefully, notice it has 3 sets of tabs. They are different, one has 4 prongs, one has 3 prongs and one has 2 prongs.
  4. Be sure you know which color wire goes on each set. Take more photos so it's clear to you.
  5. Then using a screwdriver with a plastic handle AND wearing gloves stick the screwdriver at the terminals of the capacitor so it touches 2 at a time a bunch of times. This will drain it off any electricity stored in the capacitor.
  6. Then pull off the wires
  7. undo the clamp
  8. put the new capacitor in place and clamp it.
  9. The using your photos, put the wires on the correct tabs.
  10. Put on the cover.
  11. Turn back on the breaker.
  12. Turn on the A/C, and see if it works fine

Both the original and a replacement cap should have their terminals labeled.

C, F, H or Com, Fan, Herm.

All abbreviations for Common (both caps internal to the case share this external terminal), Fan, Hermetic ("Hermetic" for hermetically sealed, no air, the compressor :) ).

For split A/C systems, a quick running check is to wave your hand and bare arm horizontally through the air being blown out of the condenser unit outside. If it feels noticeably warmer than the outside air temp, then the unit is transferring heat from inside to outside. No need to wait around inside to try and see if it is cooling down or not in a hot house.

Just replaced the capacitor and it's back to working properly. Yeah!

A couple nights ago it was 83 when I went to bed and a morning low of 79 in the house. I will never take AC for granted again.

Thank you to those who helped me figure out the problem and what to do about it.

!

A couple nights ago it was 83 when I went to bed and a morning low of 79 in the house. I will never take AC for granted again.

Thank you to those who helped me figure out the problem and what to do about it.

Congratulations! You learned a new skill and you will have more confidence to ask for help and try to fix a problem yourself next time!

N-I-C-E!!

GREAT!! Yeah cool air when it's so hot and muggy is wonderful. I'm glad you could do it on the cheap which makes this even sweeter.

I'm proud of you!

From "I'm so scared I'll die from electrocution" to "I replaced the cap and it works now"

All in 2 days - :)

Nice job!. A great feeling when you head down the DIY path to an unknown destination and actually get there - and to arrive uninjured is a real plus! :)

Great :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Fantastic news!

This and my own previous experience makes me wonder how many perfectly good systems are unnecessarily replaced every year by unscrupulous HVAC people.

Fantastic news!

This and my own previous experience makes me wonder how many perfectly good systems are unnecessarily replaced every year by unscrupulous HVAC people.
So true. I've never bought a new lawn mower because I can pick them up all day long for free that just need a new flywheel key or the carburetor cleaned out. I'm sure it is the same for other products I see on the curb.

Whew! I'm glad you stuck it out. Sorry you felt I was rude to you. We are all more capable than we give ourselves credit for. Congratulations! Pay it forward next time someone says they have a quote for thousands to replace their AC that is no longer chilling and they can't fix it. And try to be more patient than I was.

Cheers!

Last edited:
If the price of R22 refrigerant is scaring you into a new system, be sure to look at the cost of an alternative refrigerant that could be used such as R427a Forane. I converted probably 5 systems a couple of years ago from R22 to R427a and the cost refrigerant cost was about 1/5 to 1/10 of the original R22.

I was very pleased to discover this.

-gauss

Back
Top Bottom