Changing the balance of quality of life and financial independence

How exciting for you! You and your wife have thoughtfully considered everything and made a great decision for Gabe! Schools and safety are the most important decisions in my mind. You also have to consider the "friends" that Gabe would have had in an unsafe area. Peer pressure can be very hard to ignor.

Good luck with everything and don't w@rk too hard! I agree that you can check in at least once per month and keep us updated. We are family here!

CFB, when I first started reading your post I thought you were going back to wooooork.

Some how I know that you thought things out and know exactly where you stand on every aspect of the move.

Good luck to you and enjoy.

CFB,

Sounds like a good decision!

MB

lowflyer said:
Very interesting to read about your thoughts and plans. One thing that comes to mind is that we often think we need to take a particular stance on issues and be eternally consistent in our thinking and/or message...especially on forums such as this. As we move along in life, things change. Our families change, our finances change, the economy changes, etc., etc. Along with that, our perspective on things can change.

As Ralph Waldo Emerson said: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

CFB,

Congratulations on your decision to make a change in lifestyle after carefully weighing the advantages and disadvantages. I'm sure things will work out well for you and your family. Gabe's education is by far your most important investment.

Retire Soon

Holy cow, I expected to come back to see that a reciprocated diatribe had started up about all of this...I'm disappointed at you guys! ;)

Of course, you all do understand that the whole thing was couched by a marketing guy, so of course it sounds like a good idea.

After todays 400+ point drop in the dow, I feel a little bit prophetic about dumping most of my equities 3 days ago. Last time I jumped ship was in early 2000...so....uh oh...

Paying cash for the house. I'm thinking of maybe financing a small hunk of it in one of those penfed 5.99% 20 year fixed HELOC's, if the market takes a big dump and doesnt recover by the time I'm taking ownership. Its on the table...IF the numbers make sense! :LOL:

We looked at 3 more homes in the same price range, nothing came close to this one. Went to the nearby newly constructed super euro walking mall with a brazillion little hideously expensive stores and had a nice little lunch and talked it over. Then I dug at the house with a screwdriver for three hours, found nothing obviously out of place, and we made a lowball offer. Lets see what happens...seller is out of state, probably a lot of faxing and overnighting of stuff will take place. We're all wiped out!

Gabe rode his tricycle all over the empty downstairs for about an hour, then came upstairs and claimed his room. I asked him which one he liked and he pointed to the corner bedroom. Its his...

I'm not terribly sure about the appreciation, but I'm buying the same exactly house/floorplan that sold about 8 houses down on the same street for 70k more six months ago, so at least I didnt buy at the apex. Recent comps put the property in its current condition (which isnt bad, just needs updating and a roof) at about 8-9% more than we're gonna pay. I dont feel like I'm robbing someone or making out like a bandit, but I dont feel too badly screwed about it.

Property tax wise, we'll pay 1% of the homes sale price which is fixed by prop 13 to just small annual increases. Unfortunately its twice what we're paying now, which is a big piece of that extra 8-10k a year. :(

No mega corp job for me, although if push came to shove, I could probably do a consulting job with them for a month or two. I'd really rather not. Ick. Work!

Annuity? I dont frickin think so...:p

As far as less time spent here...i'm sure some are sad and some are rejoicing. The rest will have to wonder why its taking half the time to 'read the forum' as it used to ;) As I go through all this, I'm sure I'll have a few minutes to drop by one of the many internet enabled coffee shops in the area of the new home to catch up. If I tried that where I live now, I'd be shot and my laptop stolen :(

CFB: Good luck on your move and the new priorities in your life. Have always enjoyed reading your posts. Lots of great information, lots of fantastic cooking info and recipes, and (most of all) lots of laughs. Though I realize you will be very busy in the foreseeable future, it's good to know that you will be checking in every now and then to let us know how you are progressing and how little Gabe is doing. Good to know he will be attending good schools (in the new neighborhood) and that you hopefully will be enjoying new neighbors more to your liking.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
After todays 400+ point drop in the dow, I feel a little bit prophetic about dumping most of my equities 3 days ago. Last time I jumped ship was in early 2000...so....uh oh...
:(

Oh, and would you mind starting up your own "market timing" newsletter. I would gladly subscribe to it. :)

Sincerely,

Toejam

Couple of photos...

Attachments

• backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 100
  • backyard.jpg_thumb
    35 KB · Views: 2
  • master.jpg
    master.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 104
  • master.jpg_thumb
    28.4 KB · Views: 1
  • master bath.jpg
    master bath.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 110
  • master bath.jpg_thumb
    28.9 KB · Views: 1
Oh yeah...and I have my own basketball court to one side of the yard.

Attachments

• yard bbal.jpg
    yard bbal.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 85
  • yard bbal.jpg_thumb
    32.6 KB · Views: 2
Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Oh yeah...and I have my own basketball court to one side of the yard.

How about a "FIRE" basketball tournament?? :D

Lots of doggie digging space. And twice as much lawn as I've ever had to mow :(

Oh well...guess I'll need to buy A NEW RIDING MOWER!!! :)

FinanceDude said:
How about a "FIRE" basketball tournament?? :D

You probably dont wanna go there. I used to spend a half hour every day shooting free throws when I worked for megacorp. After a while it got boring shooting from the 3-point area. I can hit them about 95% of the time from anywhere on the half court line. One handed.

I haven't decided just where I am going to put the Basketball hoop and dog-run in my next house.

Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• MyLittleHouse.jpg
    MyLittleHouse.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 78
  • MyLittleHouse.jpg_thumb
    38.4 KB · Views: 2
It appears your master bath is larger than my living room.

Dont feel bad. The walk in closet is larger than my two smaller bedrooms in my current house.

Good decision, welcome back (well next door anyway). Your reasoning of better schools and safer neighborhoods is exactly why I've stayed here for the past 17 years. I moved to this area on a temporary 3 year assignment, and stayed.

Dealing with the annoying parts of living in a busy town is outweighed by the feeling of security. The house looks nice, large and roomy. I envy the large lot. While I would love a larger lot, I prefer living in a neighborhood with 24 hour security. And since the lots are not large here, I'll stay and deal with it.

Happy moving and selling the old house. Good timing to buy, from what I've seen the market is not yet heading back up.

Sounds like a good move - Much closer to all the recreation this area offers also being closer to the Sierra 8)

Oh, yeah.. I can see that needs a lot of "fixing up"!!

Very nice. I like it a lot, despite the odd garage that recalls a copy/paste.

May I please have your new closet? Italians don't do closets.
Our house is bigger than we need, yet my clothes are stacked up at the foot of the bed. ::)

Best of luck with the offer!

Eh, it does need stuff. The shake roof is about done and I found a few prior minor leaks that were patched, but its due...about 18-20k worth. Siding is wood lap and wood trim and its getting a little overly caulked and painted with a little spec of dry rot here and there.

As is par for the course in this neighborhood around the time this house was built, the people who did all the flashing in the area stunk...theres a small leak inside the siding covering one of the chimneys, and a few windows have had very minor leaks that have made a nickel size area in the lower corners of the windows start to get a little crumbly.

16 year old furnace/ac unit. 16 year old built in oven/microwave/rangetop/dishwasher. Needs carpet upstairs and for some reason the seller painted the whole house interior but not the four bedrooms. All of the bathroom and kitchen fixtures are either original or not particularly expensive upgrades. Water is leaking into the garden shed a bit as they should have poured the slab for it about an inch thicker.

My plan is new roof, appliances, carpet and paint this year. Pull the trim, reflash and rewrap the house, overlay it with Hardiplank in about 3 years. Replace the furnace and some of the fixtures around the same 3 years out.

Probably run us about 30-33k this year and another 35-40k over the next 3 years.

I may miss my little stucco house with the concrete tile roof by about 2010 when my checkbook finally stops hemorrhaging :(

I think they had to "pull in" the garage a little to get the house to front face the lot in the right place. Its got a steep driveway but then the rest is pretty level. This area is very well known for "house on a cliff" and "house down in a hole" due to the hilliness of the region...so a level lot is a very big deal. But if they extended the garage out to make the house look less boxy the driveway would have been vertical.

Definitely no playing in the driveway with the tricycle for Gabe. All wheeled toys remain in the back yard! He'd hit about 40mph by the time he reached the bottom of the driveway. Which I'm sure would be great fun for him for about 1 or 2 seconds.

It looks very nice. I am sure that you will have it in tip top shape before very long, if your offer is accepted.

I talked with my sister this morning and she told me that my nephew is having a 6000 sq ft home built and was told by the builder that it would be the smallest home in this small development! They are debating whether or not to have a sun room added to make it a little larger. They have 2 small children and do not want any more. It is amazing to me the size of some houses nowadays!

I have an image of some kind of inflatable crash balloons at the foot of the drive!
Charge admission to the neighbor kids and amortize the cost.

My wife and I looked at two homes in the 8000 square foot range (and around $5-7M). My agent has a good sense of humor.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
You probably dont wanna go there. I used to spend a half hour every day shooting free throws when I worked for megacorp. After a while it got boring shooting from the 3-point area. I can hit them about 95% of the time from anywhere on the half court line. One handed.

:D :D

Fuzzy: You brought me out of semi-retirement on this one. ;)

Admittingly, I'm a sucker for B.S., especially if it's delivered with a sense of humor. ;)

But I can't turn off my damn "bull-****" detector after reading your above quote. ;)

NBA coaches, quit wasting your time with scouting reports, and contact "Fuzzy", the sooner the better, and save your franchise. :D

Love it.!

Back
Top Bottom