ChatGPT

Hmm, looks like this thing doesn't really retain any knowledge learned from previous conversations. I cleared it out, and asked it again, "Was there a DeSoto Seville?"

It came back with "Yes, there was a DeSoto Seville model produced by the Chrysler Corporation. The DeSoto Seville was a full-size car produced from 1975 to 1961 and was marketed as a luxury car. DeSoto was a brand of automobiles manufactured by the Chrysler Corporation from 1928 to 1961. The Seville was one of the top-of-the-line models offered by DeSoto and was known for its stylish design and luxurious features."

Funny that it would say "from 1975 to 1961"! I think it's mixing in information on the Nova-based Cadillac Seville, which came out for '75. And now it's saying there was no DeSoto Seville in 1956...before, it at least got that part right! FWIW, the Seville was a stripper trim level of the Firedome series for 1956, offered as a 2- or 4-door hardtop. DeSoto used the name again in '59, as "Spring Special" trim levels for the Firedome and Firesweep, 2- or 4-door hardtop only, and consisted of a special interior, and a pale blue paintjob I think they called "Bradenton Blue"

But again, I'm not expecting it to know every little automotive detail out there. But odd that it would change its story, and now say there never was a DeSoto Seville!

"What is the best asset allocation for a retiree?"

The best asset allocation for a retiree depends on a number of factors, including their age, risk tolerance, investment goals, and other personal circumstances. However, in general, a common strategy for retirees is to focus on preserving capital and generating income through a mix of low-risk investments such as bonds and high-yield savings accounts, and moderate-risk investments such as dividend-paying stocks and real estate investment trusts (REITs).

It's important for retirees to understand that as they age, their investment portfolios should become more conservative to reflect their lower tolerance for risk and need for stability in their retirement years. The exact mix of assets will vary from person to person, but a common rule of thumb is to subtract your age from 100 to determine the percentage of your portfolio that should be allocated to stocks. For example, if you're 70 years old, you might allocate 30% of your portfolio to stocks and the rest to bonds and other fixed-income investments.

It's also important to review your asset allocation regularly and make adjustments as needed based on changes in your circumstances or the financial markets. Finally, it's a good idea to consult with a financial advisor to help you determine the best asset allocation strategy for your specific needs and goals.

"It's important...". Again.

"What is the best asset allocation for a retiree?"

Building on your query a little bit.. I wanted to push it into territory that this forum is familiar with.

"What is the best asset allocation for a retiree, what kind of financial advisor?, and are annuities recommended ?"

The best asset allocation for a retiree depends on several factors such as their investment goals, risk tolerance, expected expenses in retirement, and other factors. A common recommendation is to have a more conservative portfolio with a higher allocation towards fixed income securities, such as bonds, and a lower allocation towards equities (stocks). This helps to provide a source of stable income and to reduce the volatility of the portfolio.

As for the type of financial advisor, a fee-only financial advisor is generally considered to be the most objective and in the best interest of the client. Fee-only advisors do not receive commissions for selling products, which can limit conflicts of interest and ensure that their advice is unbiased.

As for annuities, they can be a suitable option for some retirees as a way to provide a guaranteed stream of income in retirement. Annuities can offer stability and peace of mind, as they provide a guaranteed income for life. However, annuities also have limitations, such as limited access to funds, high fees, and lack of liquidity, so they are not suitable for everyone.

It's recommended that retirees consult with a financial advisor to determine if an annuity is a good fit for their individual financial situation and goals. The advisor can help them evaluate the available options and develop a personalized asset allocation strategy that takes into account their unique needs and circumstances. Retirees should carefully consider the terms and conditions of annuities, and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

Last edited:
A friend of has kids in the CA school system. He told me they received an email on Tuesday stating they are adding CHATGpt to the teaching curriculum.

Time for some serious ChatGPT stuff: The Perfect golf swing.
Making the perfect golf swing is a goal for many golfers, as it can help them play their best and achieve lower scores. However, it's important to note that there is no one "perfect" swing, as each golfer is unique and has their own strengths, weaknesses, and swing preferences.

With that being said, here are some general tips that can help golfers work towards making a better and more efficient swing:

Grip: The grip is the starting point for a good swing, so it's important to have a firm, comfortable grip on the club. A neutral grip, where the hands are positioned symmetrically on the club, is often recommended.
Stance: The stance is the position of the feet relative to the ball. A neutral stance, with the feet shoulder-width apart and parallel to the target line, is a good starting point.
Posture: Good posture is important for maintaining balance and control throughout the swing. Stand tall and keep your weight evenly distributed between both feet.
Backswing: The backswing is the first half of the swing, during which the club is taken away from the ball. Keep the swing smooth and controlled, and try to keep the club on the correct swing plane.
Downswing: The downswing is the second half of the swing, during which the club is brought down towards the ball. Try to keep your body rotating and your weight shifting towards your front foot, and maintain your balance.
Follow-through: The follow-through is the final part of the swing, during which the club is brought up and around the body. Try to keep the club on the same swing plane as the backswing, and finish with a balanced stance.
These are just some of the key elements of a good golf swing. Practicing regularly and working with a golf instructor can help you develop and refine your swing, and find the approach that works best for you.

Hmm, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned at all in this thread, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, Bard was introduced as an answer from Google, and it was shown in the press release that...Bard isn't able to answer simple questions correctly (e.g., it was a question about whether exoplanets had been spotted before the James Webb, correct answer is yes, and the screenshot said no). ChatGPT of course does this as well, but it was considered ridiculous that Google was so unprepared that they put a screenshot of a wrong answer in their advertisement, causing the stock to plummet more than 8% that day.

Last edited:
Hmm, looks like this thing doesn't really retain any knowledge learned from previous conversations. I cleared it out, and asked it again, "Was there a DeSoto Seville?"

It came back with "Yes, there was a DeSoto Seville model produced by the Chrysler Corporation. The DeSoto Seville was a full-size car produced from 1975 to 1961 and was marketed as a luxury car. DeSoto was a brand of automobiles manufactured by the Chrysler Corporation from 1928 to 1961. The Seville was one of the top-of-the-line models offered by DeSoto and was known for its stylish design and luxurious features."

I figured I'd let it soak and see what it told me this morning. Sound better, Andre?

Me:
Was there a DeSoto Seville?

ChatGPT:
Yes, the DeSoto Seville was a model produced by the DeSoto division of the Chrysler Corporation from 1956 to 1960. It was a full-size luxury car aimed at the premium market segment and was offered as a four-door hardtop or convertible. The DeSoto Seville was well-equipped for its time and offered a range of features and amenities that were designed to provide a comfortable and stylish driving experience. However, it was not as successful as DeSoto had hoped and production was discontinued after five years.

I've got an addiction here, just too funny. Besides this being ridiculously funny, I'm disappointed that the color of the fox was dropped in fedspeak. At least the German was impeccable.

Say in fedspeak: the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog
"Subject animal, identified as a fox, exhibited rapid locomotion as it traversed an obstacle in the form of a canine entity, which was characterized by a state of leisurely repose."

Say in german: the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog
"Der schnelle braune Fuchs sprang über den faulen Hund."

Last edited:
My test with it today (after I wake up a bit) is to ask it to say a common phrase in Lithuanian since I spoke it since I was as a kid and can still do OK with it. Maybe it will actually teach me something!

I figured I'd let it soak and see what it told me this morning. Sound better, Andre?

"Me:
Was there a DeSoto Seville?

ChatGPT:
Yes, the DeSoto Seville was a model produced by the DeSoto division of the Chrysler Corporation from 1956 to 1960. It was a full-size luxury car aimed at the premium market segment and was offered as a four-door hardtop or convertible. The DeSoto Seville was well-equipped for its time and offered a range of features and amenities that were designed to provide a comfortable and stylish driving experience. However, it was not as successful as DeSoto had hoped and production was discontinued after five years."

Well, it got the time distortion element out of there, at least! However, there's still a lot in there that's wrong. For instance, it wasn't a luxury/premium car. It was never offered as a convertible. It was only offered in 1956 and 1959. And both years, as a 2- or 4-door hardtop.

However, I think I realized what's happening here. It's pulling most of that information from the Cadillac Seville, I believe. While most people think of the Seville as the Nova-based car in the mid-late 70's, and then the bustleback of '80-85, in 1956-60, Cadillac used the name. They liked to pile on the suffixes in those days, so in those years, if you bought an Eldorado hardtop coupe, its full name was Eldorado Seville. And it was priced considerably higher than the other hardtop coupes. In a similar vein, the convertible was called Eldorado Biarritz.

To be fair though, Wikipedia itself says nothing at all about the DeSoto Seville, although it has a picture of a 1956 Firedome Seville hardtop coupe.

And even if you google "DeSoto Seville", a couple of articles highlighting a specific example for a classic car writeup, or one for sale, but not much information the history of DeSoto's use of the name. Now if do a picture search, it pulls up a ton of '56 Seville pictures.

So, my guess is, it's just a learning curve, and this thing will become more and more fine-tuned over time.

So, my guess is, it's just a learning curve, and this thing will become more and more fine-tuned over time.

I think this is really an interesting discussion because it shows both refinement and weaknesses. Perhaps it changed based on your rebuff last night. Hard to say.

I fear people are going to take AI answers as The One True Answer, and that's a problem, especially if it is grabbing from Wikipedia which is known to have pranksters vandalize information. (The only changes I've made to Wikipedia were to reverse vandalism, some of which was up for days or weeks before being found.)

I’m curious to find out how long the initial honeymoon excitement surrounding this and similar technologies will last.

I did read a piece about Bill Gates’ take. He mentioned its use in medical communication. I think it could be helpful in restating doctors’ reports in language a dim bulb (like me) might understand. But that could open up a huge can of worms I suppose.

I’m curious to find out how long the initial honeymoon excitement surrounding this and similar technologies will last.

I did read a piece about Bill Gates’ take. He mentioned its use in medical communication. I think it could be helpful in restating doctors’ reports in language a dim bulb (like me) might understand. But that could open up a huge can of worms I suppose.

Or the reverse. We always laugh at our doctor friend who will say things like: "Don't drink that tea, it is contraindicated."

Here's a Chat that translates so we can speak to our friend:

Me: translate to technical medical speech: I think I'm having a heart attack

Chat: "I am presenting with potential cardiac ischemic event symptoms."

I, too, have a nagging "emperor's new clothes" feeling about this. I've found the results factually weak, incomplete or flat-out wrong, and the prose uninspired and repetitive.

No doubt there is value in its ability to "dumb down" language and sift through large amounts of data. I'm sure what we see now is just a starting point, and it will get a lot better.

In the medical field, I think lawyers would have some reservations about using it for communication with patients. Just look at the discharge instructions the hospital issues or even those inserts they give you with your prescription. The intent seems to be more CYA than informative. Extend this to any field. Do you really want AI to be the public face of your organization?

Like any technology, it'll take a while to find the best applications for it. Right now it seems like a solution looking for a problem. There will be some who get very rich from it, and many who jump on the wrong bandwagon and lose. I'm not going to let FOMO get me just yet.

The AI is definitely learning. This morning I asked it to tell me about the movie "The Big Bus". It got most of it right, but mentioned something about a tornado and a motorcycle gang, neither of which were in the movie.

However, I just tried again, and it pretty much got it right...
"The Big Bus" is a 1976 comedy film that parodies disaster movies, particularly those in the 1970s. The film follows a cross-country bus trip of a nuclear-powered bus, called the Cyclops, from New York City to Denver. The bus is equipped with various features, including a swimming pool, helicopter landing pad, and a discothèque.

The film features an ensemble cast of comedic actors, including Joseph Bologna, Stockard Channing, and John Beck. The film's humor is centered on the various obstacles and challenges the passengers and crew face on their journey, including mechanical problems, natural disasters, and sabotage.

"The Big Bus" received mixed reviews upon its initial release, with some critics praising its humor, while others criticized its over-the-top approach to satire. Despite its mixed reception, the film has since become a cult classic, and is remembered for its satirical take on disaster films and its all-star cast of comedic actors."

I can't really argue with anything there...maybe the "Natural Disasters" part. There was a scene where the saboteur, who was paid by the oil companies, was going to try and destroy the bus with an "Electronic Earthquake" but they got the coordinates wrong.

Now, I did catch the AI in a goof up though. I couldn't remember the actor that played the saboteur. I was thinking it was Ceasar Romero. I asked if he was in the movie and it said no. Then I asked who played "Iron Man" (the saboteur's nickname...he was in an iron lung) in the movie, and it said John Beck. No, that was one of the co-drivers of the bus. I looked it up on Wikipedia...it was actually José Ferrer. I asked it if he was in that movie, and it said no.

I then asked it who played Stephanie's father on "Newhart" (it was Ferrer). However, according to ChatGTP...

"William Sanderson played Stephanie's father, Sheriff James Fleak, on the television series "Newhart." "Newhart" was a popular sitcom that aired from 1982 to 1990, and followed the life of innkeeper Dick Loudon, played by Bob Newhart. William Sanderson played the recurring role of Sheriff Fleak, who was the father of Stephanie, played by Julia Duffy. Sanderson's performance on the show was well-received, and he is remembered as one of the show's standout supporting characters."

Umm, William Sanderson was Larry, as in "Hi, I'm Larry. This is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl." And there never was a Sheriff James Fleak on the show. There was an Officer Shiflet.

So, I guess you can say it's got a "Long ways to go and a short time to get there"...but I'll save quizzing it on "Smokey and the Bandit" for another time :p

There is a fun NYT link (may need a subscription? I get it from our library) that will generate a valentine in different styles. Really fun and a good exposure as to what can be easily generated:

www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/02...html?te=1&nl=the-morning&emc=edit_nn_20230214

I did a valentine to my wife in a 'Rumi' style and got this: My love, your beauty captures me – like the magnificence of a rose. My heart is filled with you, as if basking in the light of a thousand stars. I’m lost in your love, never wanting to be found. You fill my days with warmth, my nights with joy. True bliss comes with being in your presence, my sweet Valentine

There is a fun NYT link (may need a subscription? I get it from our library) that will generate a valentine in different styles. Really fun and a good exposure as to what can be easily generated:

www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/02...html?te=1&nl=the-morning&emc=edit_nn_20230214

I did a valentine to my wife in a 'Rumi' style and got this: My love, your beauty captures me – like the magnificence of a rose. My heart is filled with you, as if basking in the light of a thousand stars. I’m lost in your love, never wanting to be found. You fill my days with warmth, my nights with joy. True bliss comes with being in your presence, my sweet Valentine

OK, I, a female, would accept this :):):) I suggest accompanying it with a dozen white roses (the stars), or even better, a more creative mix of starry white flowers! Please get back to us with the reaction to this valentine!

I guess my biggest concern with this is how quickly the young-uns adapt to new technology. How will this guide them in the future? Will they still think for themselves to learn things? Or will they take the easy way out and let this make decisions for them?
I'm of the old mindset where I make decisions based on the best info I can find. But what about the young-uns?

I don’t think this is age dependent. If you ask a question and get a reasonable sounding response back, odds are you’ll believe it regardless of age.

I guess my biggest concern with this is how quickly the young-uns adapt to new technology. How will this guide them in the future? Will they still think for themselves to learn things? Or will they take the easy way out and let this make decisions for them?
I'm of the old mindset where I make decisions based on the best info I can find. But what about the young-uns?

As you may already know, Socrates was opposed to writing for similar reasons.

According Plato (in the Phaedrus), Socratees felt about writing:
“It will implant forgetfulness in their souls. They will cease to exercise memory because they rely on that which is written, calling things to remembrance no longer from within themselves, but by means of external marks.”

I was very unhappy with the answer for this question:

"What type of machine screw do I use to mount a light fixture to an octagon box"

It went off and pontificated about #6, #8, #10, and #12 pan head sheet metal screws! #12? Seriously? Are you drunk, ChatGPT?

This is totally wrong. One can force a sheet metal screw to work, but it should not be the first choice.

I was just wondering if it was a 6-32 or 8-32. I had to dig deep to find the answer (typically 6-32, sometimes 8-32).

ChatGPT simply did not understand "machine screw" and <expelled waste> in the bed.

I was very unhappy with the answer for this question:

"What type of machine screw do I use to mount a light fixture to an octagon box"

It went off and pontificated about #6, #8, #10, and #12 pan head sheet metal screws! #12? Seriously? Are you drunk, ChatGPT?

This is totally wrong. One can force a sheet metal screw to work, but it should not be the first choice.

I was just wondering if it was a 6-32 or 8-32. I had to dig deep to find the answer (typically 6-32, sometimes 8-32).

ChatGPT simply did not understand "machine screw" and <expelled waste> in the bed.

Interesting.. I had to try your query to see if I got the same results.
ChatGPT said this:

To mount a light fixture to an octagon box, you would typically use a 8-32 machine screw. This is a standard size for electrical equipment and is commonly used for this type of installation.

You will need to select a screw that is long enough to go through the fixture and into the threaded hole in the center of the octagon box. The length of the screw will depend on the thickness of the fixture and the depth of the threaded hole in the box. A common length for this type of screw is around 1 inch, but you should measure the distance between the fixture and the box to determine the exact length needed.

It's also important to note that the screw should be made of a material that is suitable for electrical installations, such as stainless steel or zinc-plated steel, to prevent corrosion and ensure a secure connection.

I posed exactly the same question to Bing Chat (also powered by the OpenAI tech that ChatGPT uses) and it said:

According to the web, an octagon electrical box is a common type of box that is typically used for installing light fixtures on a wall or ceiling¹. They are usually made of metal and come in standard sizes of 4 x 4 inches, and in depths of 1 1/4, 1 1/2, and 2 1/8 inches deep¹²³.

Machine screws are screws that are designed to be used with a nut or threaded hole⁸. They vary widely in size, from as small as 3 millimeters to as large as 3 inches in diameter⁸ [^10^]. However, most machine screws are under 1 inch in length⁸ [^10^].

The size of the machine screw that you need to mount a light fixture to an octagon box depends on the size of the holes in the box and the fixture. You can measure the diameter and length of the holes with a ruler or a caliper, and then find a matching machine screw size from a chart or a kit¹²⁷. Alternatively, you can use a screw gauge to determine the size of the screw by inserting it into the holes and reading the markings on the gauge⁸.

Some common machine screw sizes that are used for light fixtures are #8-32, #10-24, and #10-32²⁴⁵. However, you should always check the specifications of your box and fixture before buying or installing any screws. You should also use the appropriate screwdriver or drill bit for the screw head type, such as Phillips, slotted, or hex⁸.

It also referenced the sources that it used to create the answer... And had links below where one could buy the screws. I can see why Google is running scared.

[/QUOTE]
Source: Conversation with Bing, 2/15/2023(1) Octagon Electrical Boxes and Their Uses - The Spruce. https://www.thespruce.com/octagon-boxes-1152544 Accessed 2/15/2023.
(2) What size screws are used to secure lighting fixture to a lighting .... https://knowledgeburrow.com/what-si...re-lighting-fixture-to-a-lighting-outlet-box/ Accessed 2/15/2023.
(3) What size screw is used to secure a lighting fixture to an octagon box .... https://projectsports.nl/en/what-size-screw-is-used-to-secure-a-lighting-fixture-to-an-octagon-box/ Accessed 2/15/2023.
(4) What Is a Machine Screw and What Are They Used For?. https://housegrail.com/what-is-a-machine-screw/ Accessed 2/15/2023.
(5) The Beginner's Guide to Machine Screws | Fasteners | OneMonroe. https://monroeengineering.com/blog/the-beginners-guide-to-machine-screws/ Accessed 2/15/2023.
(6) Machine Screw Size Chart - Machine Screw Sizes and Diameters - Thomasnet. https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/...size-chart-machine-screw-sizes-and-diameters/ Accessed 2/15/2023.
(7) . https://bing.com/search?q=machine+screw+size Accessed 2/15/2023.
(8) Hubbell-Raco 165 Octagonal Box, 21.5 Cu-in, 4 in Dia X 2-1/8 in D, 4". https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Raco-165-Octagonal-Box-21-5/dp/B003A4BOHG Accessed 2/15/2023.
(9) Hubbell-Raco 296 1-1/2-Inch Deep 1/2-Inch Side Knockouts 4-Inch Octagon .... https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Raco-296-Knockouts-Octagon-Ceiling/dp/B0013WGTQS Accessed 2/15/2023.
(10) Machine Light Fixtures | McMaster-Carr. https://www.mcmaster.com/machine-light-fixtures Accessed 2/15/2023.
(11) What Is a Machine Screw and What Are They Used For?. https://housegrail.com/what-is-a-machine-screw/ Accessed 2/15/2023.
(12) Screw - Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw Accessed 2/15/2023.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom