Cheese!!!

I haven't even heard of the cheese's you folks are talking about. I'm not saying I haven't had them, but I like cheese and even if it's a Velveeta in a single wrapped slice.

My favorite is Swiss of any kind any flavor.

Try a cheese tasting! :LOL: Seriously, though, many grocery stores with a full cheese counter will have people there who would love to talk to you about what you like and don't like, and make recommendations based on that. Here's a pic of a cheese tasting we did in Amsterdam, because CHEESE!!!

Attachments

• 2014-07-12 06.02.27.jpg
    2014-07-12 06.02.27.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 44
Brillat Savarin for me!

We love triple cream Brillat Savarin / Délice de Bourgogne too.
Another favourite oozy cheese is Époisses de Bourgogne. We were watching one of Anthony Bourdain's shows and got really curious watching him eat this oozy cheese. Got to try it in a specialty restaurant during a cruise and loved it. Happily, a local cheese place carries it.

That local cheese place also does cheap raclette machine rentals and it's kind of fun doing a raclette night with friends.

Costco carries a basil goat cheese from a local producer (Salt Spring Cheese) that we get regularly.

If you like poutine, try cheese curds. We also like eating fresh cheese curds as a snack. They have to be fresh though.

I love the cheese other people eat. I gave up cheese years back and all dairy.

Concentrated cow milk where the milk is designed to get an 80 pound calf to a 500 pound cow as fast as possible. It doesn't seem to jive with health in any way.

Since 75% of Americans are now in the obese category, the love of cheese seems to be detrimental to our collective health.

I did like Limburger cheese back in the day. :)

I love most cheeses but my favorites tend to be the more sharp cheeses. I especially like a white sharp cheese. Kerrygold makes a great aged cheddar. I also like their reserve cheddar.

Try a cheese tasting! :LOL: Seriously, though, many grocery stores with a full cheese counter will have people there who would love to talk to you about what you like and don't like, and make recommendations based on that. Here's a pic of a cheese tasting we did in Amsterdam, because CHEESE!!!
That would be a great idea. I'm sure there would be some favorites. Smoked cheese is very good also.

Former cheesemaker.
Years ago I had access to raw milk from wonderful Dutch Belted cows, so I made a hobby out of making a batch of cheese a couple of times a month. It's not hard, but you have to be very attentive to details.

My personal specialty was a washed-rind semisoft cheese similar to what the Trappist monasteries in Belgium make. My next favorite was a washed curd cheese similar to Gouda. I also smoked cheese fairly often (the Gouda type takes very well to that).

There is a fairly steep learning curve to making any but the simplest cheeses, so I traveled a bit to take classes from some master cheesemakers. A wonderful experience!

Had to give it up when my friends got out of the dairy business, but it was definitely great fun.

Cool!

We picked up a new cheese recently from Brugge Belgium. Comtesse is the name and it has a nice nutty flavor. Has holes too. The nutty flavor reminds me a bit of Midnight Moon.

I haven't even heard of the cheese's you folks are talking about. I'm not saying I haven't had them, but I like cheese and even if it's a Velveeta in a single wrapped slice.

My favorite is Swiss of any kind any flavor.

I'm a Provolone guy myself. Grew up with a lot of Italian friends and families.

Since 75% of Americans are now in the obese category, the love of cheese seems to be detrimental to our collective health.

Check out the Nov 2022 issue of Consumer Reports. Among other things the saturated fat in cheese does not raise LDL levels to the same degree as butter. It seems that the entire makeup of the food has to be taken into consideration, not simply the individual nutrient. Here's a quote from the article:

Cheese seems to reduce the the risk of weight gain (really) and several chronic diseases.

Nobody is advocating stuffing our cheeks with cheese. But, eating 1.5 ounces a day seems to reduce CVD by 10%.

Contribute your favorite cheeses and new discoveries here.

We just opened the small wheel of P’tit Basque we bought a couple of weeks ago at Costco. It’s 100% sheep’s milk cheese from the Pyrenees. Aged 70 days, so somewhat young, semi-firm texture.

I give it two thumbs up!

https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/petit-basque-sheeps-milk-cheese/

That's one of my favorites, but our Costco has never carried it, but Whole Foods here usually does as does Central Market.

For a while last year, Costco carried Corsu Vecchiu which quickly became one of my favorites as well. It's also sheep's milk cheese from the island of Corsica and pretty awesome - nobody around here carries it, however. I've seen some mail order places that do and am seriously considering it!!!

When we lived in Germany in the late 90's, I became a big cheese fan - the stronger the better! Random picks each week, but always threw away the label and couldn't remember what I had previously purchased. :LOL:

Cheers.

Roquefort is my favorite; we usually pick it up at Costco and I think they only carry the Société brand. A gourmet market just opened near us and the lady at the cheese counter had me try both Société and Papillon side by side. I’d never tried Papillon but there was a noticeable difference — going to have some in my salad tonight with dinner!

I guess my taste-buds have changed in the last year or so... I'm pretty much cheesed out..... :)

From what I can tell the cheese options at Costco are like the wine options - they vary with the store.

From what I can tell the cheese options at Costco are like the wine options - they vary with the store.

Very much so!

We always check because they bring in different cheeses pretty often, and sometimes they don’t stay long.

I made the mistake of buying 2 rounds of Camambert while on a Rhone cruise. When we hit Lyon I had to buy a plastic container to contain the ripening cheese smell.
I was worried that a dog would alert to it at the airport, but we got it home OK

Attachments

• cheese.jpg
    cheese.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 35
Great thread for a long time cheese lover!

If you haven’t tried or heard of Rogue River Blue, you should try to find it.

https://roguecreamery.com/rogue-river-blue/

It was the World Champion cheese from 2019/20, the first time an American made cheese ever won the award.

It is an amazing blue cheese wrapped in pear soaked grape leaves. It is from a small cheese maker in Oregon and it is difficult to find at retail (some WFMs have some) as not many shops carry it. It is still possible to order a full (5lbs)or quarter wheel directly from the company which I do every year. It is pricey but well worth it!

It comes out in September and is gone by the holidays.

I like most cheeses but the prices have gone way up to more than double in many places. I can't justify the cost of some when it exceeds $10/lb. Although, I do keep some regular stock Costco cheese like Parmesan and Jarlsburg on hand. Otherwise when the price is reasonable I buy a few bricks of Extra Sharp Chedder for cooking.

Cheers!

Soft cheeses are not solid cheeses. There is a 60 day minimum aging requirement.

Which has absolutely no reason or science behind it. :facepalm:

Another small point is that a chunk of cheese in your bag can show on the scanner the same as plastic explosive, so it requires additional inspection. Ask me how I know. :D

Back
Top Bottom