ClearScreen Player

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just went thru the update to Windows 10 and found a few things that seems sketchy included. One is the ClearScreen Player. It seems to be unsafe. Norton 360 says it is quarantined as a trojan horse. I tried to uninstall it from the programs list but it wouldn't uninstall; it wants to allow the app to update data on the hard drive and when I click no, the uninstall process ends.

Anyone have success getting rid of this thing?

Where did it come from? It is not installed on my Windows 10 update and it doesn't exist in the apps at the app store. Did your Win10 update come from Microsoft?

Yes, I did the upgrade (so update is probably the wrong term) from Windows 7 to 10 today and it was installed along with something called KNCTR which I was able to uninstall. I don't know how else it got in because it was installed at the same time as the Windows 10 program.

Did the upgrade come directly from Microsoft or had it been altered and put out by someone elso. I know that has happened with some software updates but I would not expect it for a Microsoft OS release.

ClearScreen Player is classed as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and adware. This PUP infiltrates systems without users’ permission, continually tracks users' web browsing activity, and delivers intrusive online advertisements.

According to several googled articles it may require specialized removal software.
Google clearscreen player for links to removal tools, but be careful using these.

It was the Microsoft upgrade, I hope. Used the link in the icon that was implanted in the taskbar. I had to go out for a few hours so I set it on the express install version rather than custom and I think it must have come along at some point that way. In any event, I was able to isolate and remove more than a dozen files associated with it and a few other things using Malwarebytes. It seems to be gone now. There were more than a dozen other files that got flagged by Malwarebytes as PUPs that I wasn't sure about and will probably have to investigate further before deleting.

I did exactly what you did for the upgrade so I don't know where it came from but I didn't get that program.

Thanks, I guess I'm special. :facepalm:

It was the Microsoft upgrade, I hope. Used the link in the icon that was implanted in the taskbar. I had to go out for a few hours so I set it on the express install version rather than custom and I think it must have come along at some point that way. In any event, I was able to isolate and remove more than a dozen files associated with it and a few other things using Malwarebytes. It seems to be gone now. There were more than a dozen other files that got flagged by Malwarebytes as PUPs that I wasn't sure about and will probably have to investigate further before deleting.

Heh. Malware.

There's a flavor of malware that redirects Microsoft's update links. That's used to inject even more malware when you grant access for the update to run. One of these gems likely assisted you.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom