Climbing the wealth ladder

Highly subjective!

Reading the descriptions I placed us in Level #6. Reading the dollar amounts barely places us in level #4. But we no longer desire a bigger or fancier home as we are very happy where we are. We travel when we want, and now stay in upscale (to us) national name brand hotels. For flights we look for the most convenient not the least expensive, although we are OCD planners and book weeks in advance which lowers flight costs. We are now actively giving money to local various charities and needy families. Philanthropy on a modest scale.

So where are we? Level #6 by Definition or Low Level #4 by Net worth?

Too subjective.

I guess we are very content with our lifestyle, which is a great place to be.

Last edited:
My investments are now close to $1.5M, which I live off, save the 12K a year I make working a couple of shows. No pension and waiting probably till 65 to take SSI. I grew up poor and didn't really start to make decent money (30K a year) until my late 20s. There are so many frugal things which I just can't get out of my DNA. Returning deposit bottles for instance. Stocking up on grocery items when they are on sale. As for traveling, I mostly use miles and look to stay at AirBNB. I just don't see the sense in spending a couple hundred dollars to rent a hotel room that I'm just going to sleep and shower in. I budget myself to spending 60K a year and if I didn't have a girlfriend, I would probably spend only 3/4 of that. Even though I'm not hurting for money, I don't feel like wasting it on unnecessary things.

Honestly the nicest first class flight and 4 star hotel room is horrible compared to our leather couch in our apartment or our 10 inch memory foam mattress. If someone doesn't really want to travel, level 3 can look a lot like level 5 or 6.

My wife likes to travel but I am finding there is so much to see and do nearby...stop and smell the roses if you will.

There's no place like home

Honestly the nicest first class flight and 4 star hotel room is horrible compared to our leather couch in our apartment or our 10 inch memory foam mattress. If someone doesn't really want to travel, level 3 can look a lot like level 5 or 6.

My wife likes to travel but I am finding there is so much to see and do nearby...stop and smell the roses if you will.

Ditto.

We put a lot of sweat into making our home comfortable and convenient. I like being in it more than being on the road.

We try to do that. My husband used to like to travel more than me but I try to fill up the calendar with fun events every month and he seems to be okay with that these days. Plus we still have to travel to see family so we do get a change of scenery from those visits. Even being retired almost ten years, there's a lot of regional parks, wineries, museums and other attractions we haven't seen yet. We can go to places like Napa or Sonoma wine country, tide pooling, the theater in SF or Redwood hikes for the afternoon or Lake Tahoe, Yosemite and Carmel overnight so we tend to do that more than long trips. And with local outings we can either take our dog with us or one of our kids will dog sit if we want to go out for the day or overnight.

Back
Top Bottom