CNN Article on Wealth

Rich people who still "wipe" haven't discovered bidets or bidet seats I guess.

We don't wipe anymore, just "blot" - :)

And if you were 99, you'd probably be considered rich too.

Tough to be 65 with only 1m.

Really? You have SS and inexpensive medical insurance at 65. Most own their home. What's the problem?

To me it's interesting to understand other people's perspective on what wealth is.

There are now over 2300 readers' comments to the NYTimes article that I linked which is more than the respondents used in the CNN-reported survey article linked by the OP. While I only read some of the comments, I found them interesting in how readers commented on wealth. I think some of them have no clue about economics, how not to pay taxes, how to budget, and just how to deal with money -- both when they have it and when they don't have it.

Did anybody else get a sense of mankind (or at least NYTimes readers) from those comments? What did you think?

Last edited:
There are now over 2300 readers' comments to the NYTimes article that I linked which is more than the respondents used in the CNN-reported survey article linked by the OP. While I only read some of the comments, I found them interesting in how readers commented on wealth. I think some of them have no clue about economics, how not to pay taxes, how to budget, and just how to deal with money -- both when they have it and when they don't have it.

Did anybody else get a sense of mankind (or at least NYTimes readers) from those comments? What did you think?

Someone has more than me, so it MUST be from them "gaming the system", or "unethical behavior". Does it happen? Sure. Just as it happens (even moreso) in communist societies. But could I bust my ass 60 hours/week for years and accumulate some additional wealth? Could I go without vacations for several years and deny myself every luxury for several years to save up? You betcha.

But it's easier to complain and attribute it to "the greedy rich getting richer", because then I don't have to get off my ass and actually do anything to advance myself. Because I argue myself into failure without even trying.

I think some of them have no clue about economics, how not to pay taxes, how to budget, and just how to deal with money -- both when they have it and when they don't have it.

Many of the posters here and other ER forums tend to be INTJ types, like the Iron Bank managers in Game of Thrones: "Here, our books are filled with numbers. We prefer the stories they tell. More plain. Less open to interpretation." I think many people just aren't wired for numbers, delayed gratification and future planning. In the population as a whole INTJs are not well represented.

Last edited:
Sometimes I took those tests and was INTJ, more often INFJ.....
Sorry, no one went off topic for a while. Don't want to set precedent.

INTP here, allegedly, with ISFP secondarily (and later a bit of ENTP but only in the work world with coworkers, probably due to my twin who was an extreme extrovert)--for what it's worth. The types always seem useful but overgeneralized. After my twin and I "separated," I developed more of a functional E persona, even though it perhaps was a shell. I also learned it was useful to answer people at minimum and even engaging in dialogue could be enjoyable (I didn't speak until after 3, since we had our twin language and he translated for me.)

Last edited:
Someone has more than me, so it MUST be from them "gaming the system", or "unethical behavior".

This is the new 'social media' reality.

Everyone who has more than me should be taxed into poverty, and their assets should be divided amongst the less fortunate.

But I worked hard to get what I have, and I deserve to use all of the incentives, programs, tax breaks, etc. And don't look at me when you need some more money!!

Most of us have seen the memes about the first paycheck: https://pics.me.me/congratulations-to-my-brother-on-his-first-paycheck-and-his-24347746.png

I actually had a part time student that went to HR with his first paycheck trying to figure out why he only got about 2/3 of what he expected (Hourly rate x # of hours).

My sense is there are too many people who pay too much attention to what other people are making or have. It is easy to tell others how they should or should not be spending their money. Maybe I'm biased as DW and I have some relatives who see us as "cheap" primarily because we choose not to spend our money on them, in the way that they want.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom