Coffee & Acid Reflux...

When my acid first hit full-force, I thought I was having a heart attack. Some serious burning and pain going on. Nexium helped a lot. But, I was surprised how addicted to coffee I was. I was able to cut all the foods/spices that the MD suggested I remove from my diet. But, after a few months, I was cheating with the coffee. What I found to be helpful was Trader Joe's Low Acid French Roast. Cut in the morning, cup in the early afternoon was fine. Couldn't do any more than that without feeling pain. The low acid coffee isn't quite as good as regular coffee, but it's good enough. I don't think low acid and decaf are synonomous.

But seriously, has anyone noticed that the acid reflux epidemic seems to line up along the same timeline as the Starbucks craze?

I think it lines up with the aging of the baby boomers, and, though not in the case of anybody on this forum, the general population's weight gain.

I tried a can of Folgers Simply Smooth coffee. It is supposed to be easier on the stomach by choosing certain beans and roasting a different way.

I can't say that I really like it though. The first pot i brewed came out really weak tasting so after that I doubled the amount of coffee I used to get it to taste right.

I don't think that I will buy it again. But if you are having problems with coffee you might want to give it a try.

Well, Happy 2B, some can of coffee has to be way down towards the bottom. Anyhow, thanks, I will try to find some of the low acid coffees listed higher up.

This is great, I'm learning about inexpensive wines and low-acid coffees. Anybody have any idea about a solid investment that returns 20-25% a year?

Ah, maybe wine and coffee is what it's all about, anyway.

I had a problem with acid reflux for years - and coffee did seem to make it worse. What I found out, much later, that sleep apnea was causing the majority of my reflux. When someone snores and your airway get's blocked it causes a rush sudden reflux from the suction. Since my cpap treament began (cpap machine) - I have not had a nightime reflux episode in two years.

Anyone else experienced this?

I also have acid reflux. It use to be extremely bad even using daily prescription medication. Three years ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and went on a CPAP. Thinking back, I have not had the bad episodes with the reflux since going onto the CPAP.

Is the Areopress kind of like the infamous plunger coffee ?? I believe this is also known as a French Press coffee maker.

No, it's not. Go look at the website or google 'aeropress'.

One difference it is uses a paper filter, hence addressing the
harmful-oils issue (it ain't cholesterol exactly, 'cause that only
comes from animal sources). Advantage over cone filters is
they're tiny and you can re-use them several times. But the
main advantage is taste.

If the coffee is too non-acidic for you, you can always use
hotter water and/or let it stir longer before pressing.

I've also had some cold press coffee that seemed very smooth/mild. Maybe that is low in acid also?

Supposedly the cold-brew coffee is much gentler on the stomach. I've tried it (wasn't bad at all!), but I don't have too many stomach acid problems (a few, not too bad though).

I mainly drink iced coffee when I do drink coffee. I strongly recommend the cold brewing method.

My acid reflux is directly related to my weight. At 165 I have none, at 185 I have it daily. I verify this cause and effect every couple of years.

My acid reflux is directly related to my weight. At 165 I have none, at 185 I have it daily. I verify this cause and effect every couple of years.

I'm 5'4" and weigh about 108, so weight isn't it for me. I think it's time to go see a doc. It's driving me nuts.

One week without coffee now, and my withdrawl headaches are finally gone! I still had some bad reflux the other night and woke up with a sore sternum, so I decided to do some more research. I found this regimen:

Acid Reflux

and here's another good site:

February 2005 Fibromyalgia-chronicfatigue.info

The first night after trying the DGL and "Acid Ease" Plant enzymes, I had no heartburn! ...First night in over a week! I am very excited, and I will continue the regimen for 8 weeks, and then I'll let you all know how it goes. The DGL tablets taste disgusting, but they really are soothing to your stomach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom