Coffee Mug - Repair Crack In Handle?

Vincenzo Corleone

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW bought a mug with an image of a hummingbird on it several years ago on one of our vacations in Costa Rica (she's an avid bird/nature photographer). Today, while washing it, it slipped out of my hands and crashed into some dishes in the sink. At first, I thought I dodged a bullet as the mug looked in fine shape. But when I looked closer, I saw a hairline crack around the top of the handle.

The mug is still usable but over time the handle is sure to crack and break while she's having her tea.

I know it's just a mug, but we bought it in Costa Rica and I feel kinda bad. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way for me to save it.

Care to share a pic with a close up on the crack?

While you wait for ideas, is she aware already? I'd caution against trying a fix before you tell her, in case that makes it worse. Or even if you think it's a perfectly done fix, and then it turns out not to be...yeah. Better to fess up, it was only an accident.

Superglue. I think the right way is to carefully break off the handle so you could get the glue in there, then tape it in place. I'd let it cure overnight. If you spray superglue accelerator to one of the mating surfaces it will cure almost instantly but then you won't be able to fiddle with the position to make it fit just right and you'd be making the cup more toxic. So if you use accelerator you should mask off parts you're not gluing and wash extra well when done.

If you don't want to break off the handle, you could try building up layers of superglue around the crack to reinforce it. You need accelerator for this. Place a drop of a thick superglue over the crack, spray with accelerator, and repeat until you're satisfied it's thick enough to reinforce the handle.

You could also use the thinnest superglue you could find and put a drop or two on the crack and hope it gets sucked in well enough. Not sure if I'd use accelerator for that method.

Care to share a pic with a close up on the crack?

While you wait for ideas, is she aware already? I'd caution against trying a fix before you tell her, in case that makes it worse. Or even if you think it's a perfectly done fix, and then it turns out not to be...yeah. Better to fess up, it was only an accident.

I fessed up right after it happened. She was very forgiving and gracious about it.

Photos attached. So the first two show a small chip and the third photo shows the hairline crack that goes the rest of the way around.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 46
Superglue. I think the right way is to carefully break off the handle so you could get the glue in there, then tape it in place. ...

I'd agree that breaking it is probably best, so that you can really get glue in there. Obviously carries some risk, hopefully you have fessed up first - having a questionable repair and having the handle break off with hot tea in there might get you in.... ummm, hot water (or worse)?

Another option for getting glue to enter the crack - I've used this successfully with woodworking - get a vacuum cleaner hose on the opposite side, somewhat sealed up (maybe just cupping your hand around it), and it will suck the glue into the crack.

-ERD50

Worse comes to worst, we have friends who live near the place where we bought it. I'll see if they can pick up another one for us. It's not like it was a one-of-a-kind.

Superglue. I think the right way is to carefully break off the handle so you could get the glue in there, then tape it in place. I'd let it cure overnight. If you spray superglue accelerator to one of the mating surfaces it will cure almost instantly but then you won't be able to fiddle with the position to make it fit just right and you'd be making the cup more toxic. So if you use accelerator you should mask off parts you're not gluing and wash extra well when done.

If you don't want to break off the handle, you could try building up layers of superglue around the crack to reinforce it. You need accelerator for this. Place a drop of a thick superglue over the crack, spray with accelerator, and repeat until you're satisfied it's thick enough to reinforce the handle.

You could also use the thinnest superglue you could find and put a drop or two on the crack and hope it gets sucked in well enough. Not sure if I'd use accelerator for that method.

Thanks, Boho.

I'd agree that breaking it is probably best, so that you can really get glue in there. Obviously carries some risk, hopefully you have fessed up first - having a questionable repair and having the handle break off with hot tea in there might get you in.... ummm, hot water (or worse)?

Another option for getting glue to enter the crack - I've used this successfully with woodworking - get a vacuum cleaner hose on the opposite side, somewhat sealed up (maybe just cupping your hand around it), and it will suck the glue into the crack.

-ERD50

Oh, wow - the vacuum cleaner idea sounds like a good one. Thanks!

How about take the cup to an artistic pottery class and ask them to make a set?

Might get you brownie points for replicating the original

I think I would not break it. I would apply superglue to the outside of the crack and then try as best you can to push the superglue into the crack with a toothpick or thin piece of wire. Then cross your fingers.

Last edited:
Worse comes to worst, we have friends who live near the place where we bought it. I'll see if they can pick up another one for us. It's not like it was a one-of-a-kind.

A replacement might be the easiest solution.

But if you still wish to try and repair and if you are more into the mug not breaking instead of appearance, perhaps try securing the chipped area by painting on some JB Weld. I did a similar thing for a plastic knob of a dryer which had a crack. Put the JB Weld on and let dry. that was about 2 years ago and the knob still works fine.

Super glue is thin like water, it should flow right into that crack. It will also get sucked up into the pores of the ceramic. I'd just apply the nozzle and feed until it dripped.

If you like it enough to want to hang onto it and keep using it, this is the option I would recommend. No matter how well glued the handle was, I'd be concerned about a possible future break.

Or you could always relegate the current mug to a life as a purely decorative object, and save on the cost of getting a new one.

It's time for another trip to Costa Rica.

BTW, did your wife confess that she dropped the mug a few years ago and never told you about the hairline crack she noticed in it at that time?

Using a cracked handle coffee mug would make me nervous. If it breaks, it will most likely be at a very bad time (filled with coffee), that will make a huge mess.

Why not retire the mug to a place of honor on the shelf, among your other souvenirs?

Using a cracked handle coffee mug would make me nervous. If it breaks, it will most likely be at a very bad time (filled with coffee), that will make a huge mess.

Why not retire the mug to a place of honor on the shelf, among your other souvenirs?

+1 I tried it once and that's exactly what happened.

I understand the sentimental value but I'd do some scanning online. I once broke a very expensive wine glass ($300 each!!) and I found an exact set of 4 for $25 online...they obviously didn't know what they had.

If you get a good enough image of the mug, then google/images might find the match for you online. Or just start looking now - chances are those lovely knick knacks most of us picked up over the years are either now available to be found, or weren't quite so exclusive to begin with.

It's time for another trip to Costa Rica.

BTW, did your wife confess that she dropped the mug a few years ago and never told you about the hairline crack she noticed in it at that time?

LOL

I fessed up right after it happened. She was very forgiving and gracious about it.

In the event my DW ever dumps me, can I marry your wife?

+1 I would not risk the repair.

Super glue will fail at around 135 degrees F. There are specific adhesives for ceramics, but I would just use JBweld.

Maybe just me, but I've never had much look with super glue type glues. Seems I either over apply and make a mess or under apply and not get a good enough bond.

Though JBweld is not for everything, I've had better luck with this. Speaking of JBweld, I used about a year ago for cracked part that get submersed and heated in a portable humidifier. I've thought several times, the bond is not going to hold up, but it is still going strong.

I have a mug which got the same kind of crack. And since it fits so well in the cup holder in my motorhome I wanted to keep using it.

Used a generic superglue above and around the crack. Found that with a gentle tug I could make the crack wider - the with of a hair perhaps. This while pouring glue.

Let the mug rest overnight. Then pulled at the handle and could not make the crack appear again. Used it with great care for a few days. Then forgot about the crack and used it as usual.

Have been using it for a couple of years without any trouble.

Back
Top Bottom