Coffee Mug - Repair Crack In Handle?

I have a mug which got the same kind of crack. And since it fits so well in the cup holder in my motorhome I wanted to keep using it.

Used a generic superglue above and around the crack. Found that with a gentle tug I could make the crack wider - the with of a hair perhaps. This while pouring glue.

Let the mug rest overnight. Then pulled at the handle and could not make the crack appear again. Used it with great care for a few days. Then forgot about the crack and used it as usual.

Have been using it for a couple of years without any trouble.

Good to see the lack of success with superglue may just be me :).

Last edited:
I have a mug which got the same kind of crack. And since it fits so well in the cup holder in my motorhome I wanted to keep using it.

Used a generic superglue above and around the crack. Found that with a gentle tug I could make the crack wider - the with of a hair perhaps. This while pouring glue.

Let the mug rest overnight. Then pulled at the handle and could not make the crack appear again. Used it with great care for a few days. Then forgot about the crack and used it as usual.

Have been using it for a couple of years without any trouble.

Think Christine has the good plan. If I goobered on JBWeld it would NOT pass scrutiny by Player2, a potter.

I would fear the cup would break and spill hot coffee on one of the grand-kids.

Fix it, photograph it for memory's sake, then toss it.

It's time for another trip to Costa Rica.

Seriously, this is the best idea. The cup has sentimental value so buying another one isn’t really going to replace it. The next best response is to retire it to a presentation piece, keeping it for it sentimental value before it gets any worse.

Any repair is subject to fail. If I really wanted to keep using it, I would just hold it by wrapping my hand around the mug instead of using the handle.

Buy a $1 ceramic cup at Dollar Tree, break the handle, and experiment with Super Glue. Just don't buy the Dollar Tree super glue. And ignore the estimated cure time. Let it sit overnight unless you use accelerator.

I have a ceramic pour-over cone for coffee and one of the supports that rest on the cup broke. Superglue fixed it.

I think I would not break it. I would apply superglue to the outside of the crack and then try as best you can to push the superglue into the crack with a toothpick or thin piece of wire. Then cross your fingers.

I try to avoid crossing my fingers after working with superglue. :cool:

31 posts and no suggestions for duct tape??
No Red Green fans here??

If you want the thin super glue, Bob Smith Industries Super Thin is a good choice.

That was going to be my suggestion. I've used super glues extensively in building R/C airplanes and it should work well. DO NOT use an accelerator; those make the cured glue more brittle. There are specialty super glues for almost everything by now, I'd search for one made specifically for ceramics and buy one of those. If you find none, use the thin glue because it will seep into the crack better. The Bob Smith brand that Boho suggests is as good as any and better than some. Don't use the cheapest you can find, there really are variations in the quality of super glues.

I was unaware about the 135° failure temperature, I've never had that issue. Maybe call a local ceramics shop and ask?

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do, but I think what is for sure is that I won't attempt breaking off the handle. I'd probably mess that up good.

I wanted to post this message to thank everyone. I didn't expect to get so much help over a mug.

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do, but I think what is for sure is that I won't attempt breaking off the handle. I'd probably mess that up good.

I wanted to post this message to thank everyone. I didn't expect to get so much help over a mug.

Hey, a lot of us are retired and have nothing else better to do...or shall I dare say...maybe some of us are BORED!!! :D:D:D

Anyway +1 to the idea of "display" only. I have a handful of mugs that I have acquired through the years that could not really be replaced, and they are displayed in my coffee bar cabinet.

Sugru - if she doesn't mind having a ring of silicone around the area of the crack. www.sugru.com has a gallery of fixit projedts.

Or, turn it into a pencil/pen holder on a desk.

I don't think super glue fills gaps well. Two very close surfaces it works great. Likely more of an epoxy. But keep it out of the drinking area.

I think you should try some super glue even if it's put on display. Someone may end up in possession of it who decides to use it. I'm probably going to smash some beautiful old dishes that have cracked glaze because I don't want anyone after me to use them. Old dishes, even without cracked glaze (but especially with) are a lead hazard. Your cup is just a spill hazard but it's still worth preventing.

Buy a $1 ceramic cup at Dollar Tree, break the handle, and experiment with Super Glue. Just don't buy the Dollar Tree super glue. And ignore the estimated cure time. Let it sit overnight unless you use accelerator.

I have a ceramic pour-over cone for coffee and one of the supports that rest on the cup broke. Superglue fixed it.

Good idea, the practice thing. Our Goodwill stores sell hundreds of cups for .69 each, with an additional 1/3 off on Senior day.

I would not try breaking the handle off. Better to try to get the superglue into the crack. Get the thinnest super glue you can and it should go right into the crack via capillary action. That may be enhanced by picking the cup up by the handle so the crack widens ever so slightly. Might do it with water in the cup. Once the glue wicks into the crack then use a strong rubber band to exert pressure on the joint and leave it that way overnight. Ultimately, the handle will likely fail especially after many dishwasher cycles. Would be safer to retire the cup to a display shelf.

Back
Top Bottom