College majors and future careers

Was your career in the same field as your undergrad major?.

• yes

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • didn't go to college

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
My degree is in Accounting, and I'm an accountant in industry after a few years in public accounting.

Started college in Engineering. Dropped out in 1975. Worked at 2 civil engineering firms since 1975. Went back to school and got business degree in 1990. My work involves business and engineering, so college focus areas have helped.

I saw the video of “Revolutionary Road” last week and immediately devoured the book. Set in 1955, the DH worked for a thinly veiled megacorp called Knox Business Machines and he and his DW have a scheme to escape that life and the suburbs that go with it. Well, I worked for a megacorp called [blank]BM and knew beyond a doubt I had to escape.* I remember a friend (at the coffee shop) saying, “it’s not the computers themselves that are interesting, it’s what you put into the computers.” It took me about 15 years to gravitate toward a job a psych. major would enjoy & find interesting, paralegal in family law appeals. The clients there are usually already divorced but can’t let go; I got to see some of them go thru the stages of grief, fall into deep depressions, and do all sorts of nasty things to each other.... A few of them could be helped.

*Odd coincidence, in the thread about Eugene, I mentioned a kook I knew who moved there; I met him at [blank]BM, and then met him again thru a friend, he was in rebellion against his father who I later met in yet another context. He and I had a nice chat about how we mutually & separately escaped that megacorp.

BS in Computer Science. Only field I have ever worked in.

Attended the summer between junior and senior high school years. Engr 102 covered general engineering principals, slide rule, and Fortran (using WatFiv). After the Fortran class I knew what I wanted to do (although I have never used Fortran professionally). The university required CS students to choose emphasis with extra courses in math, or accounting, or Computer Science. I did all three. Finished in 13 quarters.

Degree: accounting
Career path: banking then Fed Govt in financial instituion examination and regulation

Got a BS in psych. Either was going to go on all the way to a Ph.D. or go into sales. After a year of deliberation, decided I was more extroverted and to go into sales. So, in some ways psych is appropriate for that career or so all the interviews I had waaaay back then said. I did okay--but only because I'm a workaholic, which put me shoulders above many of my fellow (lazy) salespeople.
If I had to do it all over again, tho, I would get an Econ/Finance degree or go onto an MBA. Ain't hindsight grand?

I voted yes because yes is the closest available answer for me.

Chemical Engineering Major - Computer Science Minor
Worked in Software Development since graduation in 1982.

Sam

Don't know if I should vote Yes or No.

Started college in 1968 with a dual major: Math & CS.
I did well in CS class, but never could get a program to run because of those stupid punch cards.
Ended up with BA in Math.

In 1982, took the PACE and was hired by USAF to be a computer programmer; they trained me (much better card punch machines).

Retired in 2004.

Back
Top Bottom