College saving suggestion

fisherman

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am trying to better invest the money we hold for our kids college in separate accounts. What I mean is the money is in my name and is not a Roth of 529 for many reasons. It is currently with Etrade in a separate account as they allow you to have multiple accounts with different account numbers. Makes this easy to track. I want to move this to Vanguard in a similar way if possible and plan to call them to determine of possible.

My question is for a six year time horizon what fund or funds would you put it in this year and how would you re-allocate each years as the start of college draws closer?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Vanguard probably has a fund targeted to that time horizon with a reasonable mix of fixed income and growth--...they would be into capital preservation more and more as you got closer. Fidelity has these Freedom Funds with the year you expect to use them like Freedom Fund 2015- - I am sure Vanguard has something similar.

My question is for a six year time horizon what fund or funds would you put it in this year and how would you re-allocate each years as the start of college draws closer?
Thank you in advance for your advice!
If by that you mean "college starts in six years", then why take risks? I bonds and CDs.

Not that it's possible to buy a lot of I bonds, but you could put some of them in the kids' names.

Back
Top Bottom