Computers

Chromebook can be a bit confusing.

One great thing about it is that the array of settings is much simpler than you find with another OS. You get up to speed on Chrome very quickly.

I can't imagine not using Adobe & similar products, but if just browsing, with no personal data generated, then a Chromebook should work. For the external monitor just get the correct HDMI cable, plug it into the Chromebook, & you're done. That's called "plug-&-play."

There used to be a time limitation on Chrome updates, including security, but that's been extended to 10 years.

I can't imagine not using Adobe & similar products, but if just browsing, with no personal data generated, then a Chromebook should work. For the external monitor just get the correct HDMI cable, plug it into the Chromebook, & you're done. That's called "plug-&-play."

There used to be a time limitation on Chrome updates, including security, but that's been extended to 10 years.
Can I connect to a wireless printer with a Chromebook?

Can I connect to a wireless printer with a Chromebook?

Yes. I set my dad’s up with a wireless printer. Don’t remember how but I’m sure it wasn’t difficult.

First, there is no reason to purchase a Chromebook. You can convert any PC to run ChromeOS Flex.

https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/

Create a USB stick with the Chrome image and boot from it on your PC. You can test drive all of it from the USB stick. If you decide you like it, its a quick install to the local hard drive.

This enables you to use an older "obsolete" PC, and it will run like new. My last PC was a 15 year old Celeron that performed fine. Only replaced it recently when it burned out. I purchased a used All-in-one 23" Dell with I5 processor with a small SSD (64gb is plenty) for $90. This PC will last another 10 years. Boot time to login is about 5 seconds.

The best advantage (besides performance) is everything you have is accessible from any PC that you login to. You can take the USB stick to any PC and login to your full desktop and access all your documents. If your PC burns up or is stolen, you can restore everything exactly how it was on another computer.

There is no worry about viruses, security patching, or any of the other maintenance headaches of Windows as it is all automatic. An occasional restart for the latest update will install new features.

It costs nothing to try and most people find it provides everything they need.

First, there is no reason to purchase a Chromebook. You can convert any PC to run ChromeOS Flex.

https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/

Create a USB stick with the Chrome image and boot from it on your PC. You can test drive all of it from the USB stick. If you decide you like it, its a quick install to the local hard drive.

This enables you to use an older "obsolete" PC, and it will run like new. My last PC was a 15 year old Celeron that performed fine. Only replaced it recently when it burned out. I purchased a used All-in-one 23" Dell with I5 processor with a small SSD (64gb is plenty) for $90. This PC will last another 10 years. Boot time to login is about 5 seconds.

The best advantage (besides performance) is everything you have is accessible from any PC that you login to. You can take the USB stick to any PC and login to your full desktop and access all your documents. If your PC burns up or is stolen, you can restore everything exactly how it was on another computer.

There is no worry about viruses, security patching, or any of the other maintenance headaches of Windows as it is all automatic. An occasional restart for the latest update will install new features.

It costs nothing to try and most people find it provides everything they need.
For some reason I thought they started charging a subscription last year, is that true?
All I can find on a search is that it's free to download

It should only take seconds for your PC to boot up assuming it is relatively new and does not have a ton of junk on it.
It's not, it's pretty old and I only use it for Quicken and Turbotax like many others on here.
I've been meaning to upgrade to an SSD drive but I'm scared I'll screw up the installation. If anyone has found a good video that would help me please share.

It's not, it's pretty old and I only use it for Quicken and Turbotax like many others on here.
I've been meaning to upgrade to an SSD drive but I'm scared I'll screw up the installation. If anyone has found a good video that would help me please share.

I have an all-in-one with Windows 10. I will have to get a new one in later 2024 as the Windows 11 cannot be installed on my current PC. I opt for a desktop because of better ergonomics and the desire for a large screen. I also have a chromebook for hanging out in an easy chair or domestic vacations.

If you have the budget maybe just buy a new PC. It will run faster and have better security with Windows 11. SSD drives are great.

Back
Top Bottom