Confessions From a Failed FIRE

Isn't the entire goal of FIRE to have the freedom to do whatever you choose every day?

I personally did it so that if/when I chose to work again so that it would never mean working for someone else again... but to each their own. !!

It all depends how you define freedom. I retired after 44 years in a job that I loved and looked forward to coming to work in the morning because it is challenging and satisfying. Money is not a problem in my life and my standard of living is much higher than my peers who hated their job and retired early. My much higher standard of living is my “freedom”. While I was working I had freedom after 5 pm during the week and the weekends. I also had one month of paid vacation every year.

With my increased wealth, I was able to attract a younger woman to be my wife. My young beautiful wife is a business owner with employees working for her. Being her own boss is her “freedom”. Both of us are happy. For those people who retired early at a lesser standard of living than ours…then I can only say to each their own.

Last edited:
A 2 month update:
- No regrets. Good company & people, but it is probably still my honeymoon. Of course I may be more "shacking up" then in a committed relationship. :)

- W*rking from home is great. I never had that opportunity in my previous jobs. Case in point - I've set the alarm twice since I joined and one of those was to drive my DD to the airport.

- W*rking remotely is great. My boss has no problem with me visiting DDs on the other coast without taking paid vacation.
- Surprisingly, I had been worried about the impact on my health since I won't be able to play 2-3 hours of pickleball daily, but I have been able to exercise every day for 30-90 minutes and I'm avoiding injury from overexercise. I play PB less and enjoy it more, with fewer injuries.

At 28 years of ER - I know how to say NO! when the word 'volunteer' comes up.

AND putzing in the dirt is not! the same as farming - especially for one who came of age in the suburbs.

heh heh heh - :LOL: :D :facepalm: FI means there is no success or failure just putzing. :cool: ;)

Absolutely. Unclemick I aspire to attain your lifestyle. At a mere 6 years of R I'm making progress.

Congrats on everything working out with the job. It sounds great for you.

I don't think it is crazy to go back to work. You know you can stop any day because you have already have enough. My thing is having fun and do what you want to.

A 2 month update:
- No regrets. Good company & people, but it is probably still my honeymoon. Of course I may be more "shacking up" then in a committed relationship. :)

- W*rking from home is great. I never had that opportunity in my previous jobs. Case in point - I've set the alarm twice since I joined and one of those was to drive my DD to the airport.

- W*rking remotely is great. My boss has no problem with me visiting DDs on the other coast without taking paid vacation.
- Surprisingly, I had been worried about the impact on my health since I won't be able to play 2-3 hours of pickleball daily, but I have been able to exercise every day for 30-90 minutes and I'm avoiding injury from overexercise. I play PB less and enjoy it more, with fewer injuries.

Thanks for the update! So glad it is w*rking out for you. I think back on whole unpleasant stretches of my c@reer and think how wonderful it could have been with an experience such as you are having. Enjoy it. If it goes south for any reason, you are still golden. Aloha

Well, the clock is striking midnight. Monday I'll give notice. They have shelved a program that was one of my reasons for joining and they are implementing a new micro-management time keeping system for billable hours. That dog won't hunt since I can see that I will take months off for travel as the weather gets warmer.

No regrets, it was a good reminder and refreshed my sense of appreciation. The best part is that I'll get to relive the happiness of gaining my freedom again, this time with increased confidence from my first retirement.

It's all about FREEDOM. Freedom to be able to choose. What we all choose is up to us. It's so wonderful to have that freedom to choose, I'm so grateful!!!

Well, the clock is striking midnight. Monday I'll give notice. They have shelved a program that was one of my reasons for joining and they are implementing a new micro-management time keeping system for billable hours. That dog won't hunt since I can see that I will take months off for travel as the weather gets warmer.

No regrets, it was a good reminder and refreshed my sense of appreciation. The best part is that I'll get to relive the happiness of gaining my freedom again, this time with increased confidence from my first retirement.

Thanks for the update and do, please keep us updated. We love good FIRE stories.

After two unretire gigs I think I'm ready to not do this work thing anymore.

The way I persuaded myself to go back twice was the freedom of choice/short contract argument and that I had never done X type of work in my career before or that I would work for the same company but in a better department. Like I had unfinished business in some way.

Now my colleagues are moving to the new Space programs working from home, ran into one the other day around the firepit and man did he look exhausted and pale.

Mandatory 60 hour weeks locked away in the spare bedroom sounds like hell to me.

So I can definitely confirm I'm 100% out at Xmas, excited to get back to the freedom lifestyle! I've missed it so much.

DD4L

After two unretire gigs I think I'm ready to not do this work thing anymore.

The way I persuaded myself to go back twice was the freedom of choice/short contract argument and that I had never done X type of work in my career before or that I would work for the same company but in a better department. Like I had unfinished business in some way.

Now my colleagues are moving to the new Space programs working from home, ran into one the other day around the firepit and man did he look exhausted and pale.

Mandatory 60 hour weeks locked away in the spare bedroom sounds like hell to me.

So I can definitely confirm I'm 100% out at Xmas, excited to get back to the freedom lifestyle! I've missed it so much.

DD4L

Yeah!

DD4L is in the club! Good for you.

Wow, when did 60-hour work weeks become some people's idea of normal? From history I recall there was considerable angst and strife over getting the 40-hour week.

If that's the "new normal" then little wonder employers are finding it hard to hire people. I'd tell 'em to pound sand too. Most people do want a life beyond whatever their occupation is.

Wow, when did 60-hour work weeks become some people's idea of normal? From history I recall there was considerable angst and strife over getting the 40-hour week.

If that's the "new normal" then little wonder employers are finding it hard to hire people. I'd tell 'em to pound sand too. Most people do want a life beyond whatever their occupation is.

Yeah, when I started as an exempt empl*yee (exempt from the fair labor standards act) we were told that we would not receive overtime pay, but that OT wouldn't happen often and would not be "excessive."

Of course, over time, all that changed and when email and especially cell phones became common place, folks were expected to take messages/calls at all hours and respond/come in or be "on call."

I had strategically maneuvered myself into a position that rarely required such attention. It cost me money in the long run but was well worth it. Even at that, 50 hour weeks were not uncommon just to get done what was needed. I just rarely had to come back in.

Megacorp also kept squeezing until average sick time was just under 1%. (Down from nearly 4% when I started.) One time (when I had to take care of DW after double knee surgery) my attendance was at 2% and I was "warned" about it - with the suggestion to take vacation instead of family leave. When I mentioned that I was typically spending more like 50 hours/week, I was told that we were all expected to get our w*rk done, no matter how long it took. OT didn't cancel sick time. YMMV

Did 60’s for about 12 years all told, now doing 40”s M-T 10 hour days. This was meant to “feel” retired due to the 3 days off and Savannah winter sun. .

I was just being delusional though, work is work retired is retired. I finally wised up to that fact.

Been here done this. At least there are now no unanswered questions and I can get back to being fully retired.

DD4L

Yeah, when I started as an exempt empl*yee (exempt from the fair labor standards act) we were told that we would not receive overtime pay, but that OT wouldn't happen often and would not be "excessive."

Of course, over time, all that changed and when email and especially cell phones became common place, folks were expected to take messages/calls at all hours and respond/come in or be "on call."

I had strategically maneuvered myself into a position that rarely required such attention. It cost me money in the long run but was well worth it. Even at that, 50 hour weeks were not uncommon just to get done what was needed. I just rarely had to come back in.

Megacorp also kept squeezing until average sick time was just under 1%. (Down from nearly 4% when I started.) One time (when I had to take care of DW after double knee surgery) my attendance was at 2% and I was "warned" about it - with the suggestion to take vacation instead of family leave. When I mentioned that I was typically spending more like 50 hours/week, I was told that we were all expected to get our w*rk done, no matter how long it took. OT didn't cancel sick time. YMMV

Sounds all too familiar..

I’ve worked 60+ hours a week since I was 21 when I first became a department manager at a grocery store overseeing 20-25 folks (40 now and in corporate finance / IR). When I was 25-30 I also completed my undergrad and then MBA full time while also working 60+ hours. My social life dropped 90% during those 5 years but I make 8x inflation adjusted what I did before I went back to start my undergrad and will be able to retire in 1-3 years.

Best way to move up is work like a banshee and be smart about jumping to a new job (internally or externally) every 4 years or so but yeah you can put in some hours that way. Once you get to the level you want and the income you want, it’s easy to scale down to closer to 45 hours a week even at VP/SVP level once you’ve mastered your function. Even that’s getting to be way too much for me at this point, especially adding in 7.5 hours a week for commute and another 2-3 for getting ready. No regrets on career, just wished I had learned about FIRE at 23 instead of 28.

Back
Top Bottom