Confused About How to Stream Apple Music to Denon AVR

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here is my situation. I have an Apple TV 4K connected to Denon 3700, both these devices are on a wired ethernet Lan. I would like to use my Mac Studio to manage and be a server for the music, but it's on a nest wireless mess network.

1) Can I get the Mac to share my Apple Music playlists to the Apple TV 4K even being on two different home networks (wireless and wired)?

2) If I placed the Mac on the same wired network would that help the situation?

3) Is there a way to go directly from Mac to Denon AVR for Apple Music without using Apple TV 4K and achieving Apple's best hi-res lossless at 192kHz?

All of that said, I have not yet subscribed to Apple Music, as I'm trying to understand how to do this beforehand. I suppose the problem might also be the case if I opted for Tidal.

If you subscribe to Apple Music you can play the music on any device that allows you to use the Apple Music app. Your Apple TV should already have it on the app list, but if not you can download it from the App Store. Then you control the music through your tv using the Apple TV remote. Assuming you have your audio set up with the Apple TV going through the receiver, you should get the audio.

Yeah, Apple Music subscription and Apple Music app on the Apple TV if you don’t want to be on same WiFi. You won’t need a server in that case.

If you subscribe to Apple Music you can play the music on any device that allows you to use the Apple Music app. Your Apple TV should already have it on the app list, but if not you can download it from the App Store. Then you control the music through your tv using the Apple TV remote. Assuming you have your audio set up with the Apple TV going through the receiver, you should get the audio.

Yes, I know that, but my problem is wanting to use my Mac to control the Music vs Apple TV remote or an iPhone. Also, I am not sure one can create play lists on Apple TV 4K.

You can create playlists anywhere in the Apple Music app and see them across all your devices including the Apple TV.

Do you really have 2 networks? Wireless devices and wired devices are typically on the same network in a home. If the are both sourced from the same router and you have not done something to create multiple networks, they should be on the same network.

Does the Denon receiver work with the AppleTV? In other words, can you watch a video on the AppleTV and hear the sound thru the speakers connected to the Denon? That would be step one, for me to know your configuration.

Yes, I know that, but my problem is wanting to use my Mac to control the Music vs Apple TV remote or an iPhone.
When paying music on your Mac Click the Airplay icon, then select which device you want the music to play on and control it's volume.
Also, I am not sure one can create play lists on Apple TV 4K.

Yes you can. When a song is playing in the Music app, select the ... item add select Add To Playlist. You can add the song to an existing Playlist or create a new Playlist.

Yes, I know that, but my problem is wanting to use my Mac to control the Music vs Apple TV remote or an iPhone. Also, I am not sure one can create play lists on Apple TV 4K.

Okay, you still have to turn on your tv, Apple TV and AVR. Select the Apple TV on your receiver.
On your Mac open Apple Music. In the upper right of the Apple Music app select the Airplay option and select the Apple TV.
Different networks may not let this work, but you can try. It probably needs to be on the same network, but I can’t test it since I only have one.

Edit: I was able to connect my MacBook to my iPhone’s personal hotspot and turn off WiFi and the music still played, so it should work for you.

Last edited:
You can create playlists anywhere in the Apple Music app and see them across all your devices including the Apple TV.

Do you really have 2 networks? Wireless devices and wired devices are typically on the same network in a home. If the are both sourced from the same router and you have not done something to create multiple networks, they should be on the same network.

Does the Denon receiver work with the AppleTV? In other words, can you watch a video on the AppleTV and hear the sound thru the speakers connected to the Denon? That would be step one, for me to know your configuration.

When paying music on your Mac Click the Airplay icon, then select which device you want the music to play on and control it's volume.

Yes you can. When a song is playing in the Music app, select the ... item add select Add To Playlist. You can add the song to an existing Playlist or create a new Playlist.

Okay, you still have to turn on your tv, Apple TV and AVR. Select the Apple TV on your receiver.
On your Mac open Apple Music. In the upper right of the Apple Music app select the Airplay option and select the Apple TV.
Different networks may not let this work, but you can try. It probably needs to be on the same network, but I can’t test it since I only have one.

Edit: I was able to connect my MacBook to my iPhone’s personal hotspot and turn off WiFi and the music still played, so it should work for you.

Thanks everyone, I've been under some false impressions based on various things I've read that were wrong or at least misleading. I will do a free trial subscription and see how all this works. On my network, I guess its all one network as the wireless mesh hangs off the same router that runs the ethernet.

Back
Top Bottom