Considering a retirement move out of town/state

To me, this is the only good reason to consider moving in later years. We are so fortunate that our kids and grandkids live close to us.
My wife and I moved about 100 miles away at retirement five years ago.

Unless our daughter decides to move here (she likes the area), I suspect that we'll move back to the DC area as we age. One issue is that I'm not convinced that any place in this metro area is truly livable without driving, and I suspect that I could end up a non-driver while still generally healthy.

Tellico Village is about 30 minutes from Knoxville so the University of Tennessee Medical Center is easily accessed from here. The local healthcare is fine
for minor ailments, but Knoxville is the place to go for anything serious. Physical Therapy and doctors are available within 5 minutes.

The whole area sounds quite appealing, but I keep hearing about the great healthcare in nashville area specifically w/vanderbilt- seems like quite a few suburbs with 55 communities around there, but higher priced than knoxville. Thanks for your post.

Grew up and lived in Wisconsin all of our working years.

Now that we are in our go-go years, we chose to move to western Colorado. (Should I going skiing or mtn biking today?) When we get to the no-go years, who knows?

I'll die here. Bathrooms are easy to find most days.
:popcorn:

Still living in Illinois, but hope to move out of state someday. I've done a lot of visits and research. Made a map of preferred/ not preferred states to move to. Red being most preferred. White least preferred.

Looks about right to me.

I stay in Hawaii because of its much better than average weather as well as having all the services I need (on Oahu.) but if cost becomes an issue, I think your map is pretty much spot on.

Grew up and lived in Wisconsin all of our working years.

Now that we are in our go-go years, we chose to move to western Colorado. (Should I going skiing or mtn biking today?) When we get to the no-go years, who knows?

We have also spent most of our lives in Wisconsin. We will likely relocate in the next couple of years. We were seriously looking at the western mountain states but are now leaning towards full time global slow travel during our remaining go-go years. Family health issues (not ours) are putting us in a holding pattern for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom