Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
A fellow who made daily life easier for virtually everyone who uses a computer has passed. Larry Tesler is credited with inventing the "cut", "copy", and "paste" functions.

He made a difference to millions (billions?) of people.

For his best-known innovation, Mr. Tesler adapted an age-old practice of schoolchildren — cutting out pictures and pasting them in scrapbooks — to computers. At first, he thought the term “cut-and-paste” would apply strictly to design and visual images.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...699f6e-541c-11ea-9e47-59804be1dcfb_story.html

Yep. Engineers rule. Too bad we hear more about celebrities that just spout off nonsense.

Seems simple today. But cut-n-paste is huge. Early Selectric typewriters almost had this... but nothing like until actual computers could do it.

"When I woke up this morning, things were lookin' bad
Seem like total silence was the only friend I had"

I saw him perform about 45 years ago in Chicago with Kris Kristofferson. I became a lifelong fan of his music.

RIP, John, and condolences to your loved ones.

I'm wearing an illegal smile in his honor. What a great songwriter. First time I saw him was with Bonnie Raitt in Ohio, maybe 30-35 years ago. I'm really going to miss him, and will be playing his music forever.

"Angel From Montgomery" was about as good a song as has ever been written.

Saw him at a festival in ‘88 if I remember correctly. I think it depends on your own experience as to which one of his songs qualifies as one of the best ever written. There were many.

Saw him many times as did others here I see. He wasn't mainstream, so I feel a strange kinship with those who were fans.
Today here a radio station is playing his stuff all day, so the built in speakers are getting a workout here at home.

No disrespect intended, but until a week or two ago, I'd never heard of John Prine and I don't recognize any of his songs.

No disrespect intended, but until a week or two ago, I'd never heard of John Prine and I don't recognize any of his songs.

Wow...Social Distancing is more effective than anticipated. :)

DW told me last night. I knew he was critical the past week or so, so not a surprise. I figured I'd spend a good part of today listening to my old Prine records on the turntable.

Oddly, though I followed the Chicago music scene in those days, I only saw Prine a few times, and I'm not sure why. He may have been 'big time', and touring or playing bigger places then? Saw his counterparts, Steve Goodman, Bonnie Koloc, Jim Post and many others dozens of times.

Nice. "Naked as the eyes of a clown"! Now that's some song writing!

"Angel From Montgomery" was about as good a song as has ever been written.

Yep, that's one of his many greats. I love that that song sounds great in Prine's gritty voice, and it's also delivered beautifully with the wonderful voices of Bonnie Rait, Bonnie Koloc, Emmylou Harris, etc. I love playing that one on my Hammond B3 organ clone, and singing along where no one can hear me.

I couldn't pick a favorite song, but I do quote a line from one of his songs quite often, and I just love a few other lines, and that song "Far From Me", is the one that Prine calls his favorite, that he really felt like a songwriter after he wrote that.

That song has the line, "And a question ain't really a question, if you know the answer too". Another few lines from that song, to me just describes so well a relationship that was once magical, but now falling apart

"Why we used to laugh together
And we'd dance to any old song
Well, ya know, she still laughs with me
But she waits just a second too long"

And this next line always grabbed me - is it just to add a little color, to make you "feel" a warm summer night, or is it also describing the singer, leaving the warmth of the relationship he once knew?

"Well, I leaned on my left leg
In the parking lot dirt
And Cathy was closing the lights
A June bug flew from the warmth he once knew
And I wished for once I weren't right"

And I imagine everyone knows the feeling of someone complaining to them about something, but they know it's not the "something", the other person is just aggravated with them at the time, and whatever they do seems annoying to them. Prine captures that here:

"The radio played the hit parade
And I hummed along with the tune
She asked me to change the station
Said the song just drove her insane
But it weren't just the music playing
It was me that she was trying to blame
"

And that's just the tip of the iceberg of his songwriting, and that's all in one song!

His guitar playing, while not fast and flashy, is really quite remarkable. He puts in those little leading notes to go from one chord to another, varies his picking style throughout the song. It's subtle, listen for it - you might miss it because it just fits so well, and that's a real talent.

There was an extended interview with him on NPR, I'll try to find that. He talks about the song "Paradise", and for many years I thought these were just imaginary places to fit the song. Then one day I was looking at a map, and found Paradise, Kentucky, in Muhlenberg County, and yes, it's by the Green River. All a true story of his past, where his Grandparents grew up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise,_Kentucky

RIP John.

-ERD50

Last edited:
One thing to add, in the NPR interview, he's asked about advice for songwriters. He said something like - don't write a song you don't like. It might become famous, and then you'll have to sing it for the rest of your life.

He goes on to mention he's probably performed Far from Me, Hello in There, and Sam Stone at every performance he's ever done. IMO, those have sure stood the test of time.

And it fits in with the novelty song that he co-wrote with Steve Goodman "You never even call me by my name", which is a rather silly song, and he declined song writing credit for it, and let Goodman be the sole writer. It went on to become a minor hit by David Allen Coe, and Goodman made a fair amount in royalties. The story goes that Goodman bought a collector old Wurlitzer Jukebox as a gift to Prine for that song. But at least Prine didn't have to sing it every show!

-ERD50

Wow...Social Distancing is more effective than anticipated. :)
LOL, I guess so! But what song that he's recorded or written should I have heard? I just listened to something on NPR on him, and have read some obits and his wiki bio page, and I don't recognize anything. I don't listen to folk music much. I understand he was an influence to many.

LOL, I guess so! But what song that he's recorded or written should I have heard? I just listened to something on NPR on him, and have read some obits and his wiki bio page, and I don't recognize anything. I don't listen to folk music much. I understand he was an influence to many.

If this song doesn't make your heart ache, I don't know what would.

But what song that he's recorded or written should I have heard?

My initial post was from Illegal Smile, and (has been mentioned) Angel From Montgomery, (Bonnie Raitt does a good job on this one), Paradise, and for 'us' old folks Hello In There.

Oh, and I always liked Come Back to Us Barbara Lewis Hare Krishna Beauregard:

Selling bibles at the airports
Buying Quaaludes on the phone
Hey, you talk about
A paper route
She's a shut in without a home
God save her, please
She's nailed her knees
To some drugstore parking lot
Hey, Mr. Brown
Turn the volume down
I believe this evening's shot

Can't you picture her next Thursday?
Can you picture her at all?
In the Hotel Boulderado
At the dark end of the hall
I gotta shake myself and wonder
Why she even bothers me
For if heartaches were commercials
We'd all be on T.V.

Damn. This one really hurts.

Would that all of us could write an exit line as poignant as “Summer’s End” from his last album.

RIP John.

This is the tune that first caught my ear when I was a young pup. I think it got quite a bit of airplay. Nemo and Harley both made reference to it.

Bonnie Raitt's version of Angel is vaguely familiar but not one I'd stop to listen to.

Many of his songs covered by others are here:
John Prine Covers | Artists covering John Prine songs

I remember Bonnie Raitt and Kris Kristoferson being early supporters of his writing.

In scanning that list of covers I was reminded of another of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom