Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tanya Roberts is reportedly to have died from sepsis secondary to a urinary tract infection. Sepsis can happen fast......
Amen...DW, (reinforced by the admitting doctor who pointedly asked about DNR when I returned to ER by ambulance (again) the second day in a row, (I was sent home the first visit), and who acknowledged that sepsis is often difficult to diagnose), is convinced that, had I encountered further delays, I wouldn't have made it.

At my pre-op visit this a.m. I made a point of confirming that antibiotics would be administered prior to/at the time of my pending op.

Sepsis is scary stuff.

I always liked Gerry and the Pacemakers. I was probably one of the few who saw the movie "Ferry Cross the Mersey" in 1965. I recall it wasn't "A Hard Day's Night" but it was fun for an 18 year old boy (with his girlfriend - who became DW) YMMV. RIP Gerry.

I'm too lazy to research and verify this. Many years ago I read that in their prime, Gerry and the Pacemakers were more popular than The Beatles in England.

Some passings have greater significance to each of us. Please do not simply lump them together. IMHO

...The hardest part was having the catcher actually catch it as neither the pitcher nor the catcher knew where it was going....

yup. i recall watching Hoyt Wilhelm pitch on the CBS Game of The Week back in the 60's with Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean in the booth. the catcher had an enormoua oversized mitt for that reason.

Not sure if this should go here, but I preferred the old individual RIP threads. They alerted me to someone's death by scanning the thread titles. Also having the reminiscences organized by individual avoids the jarring "are they talking about Gerry or Tanya" effect we now have in this combined thread.

I agree that I would favor individual RIP threads. It doesn't seem to me that they overwhelm the forum or make up an inordinate amount of threads (what do I know though). Just easier to look at the ones I like with comments on the single individual rather than have to search within this thread.

+1 about being in favor of the individual RIP.

+1 from me. I don't think it costs any more electrons to keep them separate.

Your complaints will fall on dead ears. :)

I'm hoping they can be revived.

Consolidated RIP Thread

I favor a consolidated thread. Or place them in an obituaries forum (“obits” if the thought of death is uncomfortable).

Last edited:
If I get a vote (and I know I don't :D ) a separate forum would work better than a consolidated thread

If I get a vote (and I know I don't :D ) a separate forum would work better than a consolidated thread

+1

Seems like a separate thread would be a really good compromise.

But what do I know :popcorn:.

Yes.

A consolidated thread is analogous to throwing all the deceased into a common mass grave.

A separate forum is similar to grouping their individual graves into a cemetery instead of sprinkling the graves around town.

MODERATOR NOTE:

In light of the feedback we have received regarding the RIP threads, we have put the following policy in place, which we hope will strike a balance between allowing people to discuss each deceased person individually and controlling the increasing proliferation of these threads.

1. Members may still post individual RIP threads for each notable passing and discussion will proceed along as currently. Please always check for a recent thread before making a new one; we often get 2 or 3 when someone has just recently passed.

2. At the end of each year, all RIP threads opened during that year will be combined into one consolidated thread for the year.

3. In the new year, individual RIP threads may be opened until they too are combined at the end of the year.

Please PM any moderator or administrator if you have questions or further suggestions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom