consumption of ultra-processed foods leads to advanced aging at the cellular level

RAE

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
https://www.sciencealert.com/study-...bwGw&utm_content=95012733&utm_source=hs_email

Ultra-processed foods (soda, chips, crackers, candy, cookies, doughnuts, etc) now comprise around 60% of the caloric intake of most Americans, believe it or not. This type of diet has been linked to cancer and other chronic diseases, and now this new study says it may also lead to advanced aging at the cellular level.
I try to stay away from most ultra-processed foods (at least most of the time), but it's not that easy these days, as the stuff is everywhere (including most aisles of the grocery store). Most people did not used to eat this much processed food even 50 years ago, and certainly not 100 years ago. The big food companies have been quite successful getting Americans hooked on consuming this stuff.

I had a coworker who ate like every meal was a holiday. Breakfast: hot chocolate, pastry; Lunch: Fast Food hamburger, fries and milkshake; Afternoon Snack: candy bar. One of those items once in a while would have been okay but this was day in day out, meal after meal. I wondered what she ate on holidays to make it special.

11% of food consumed by Americans is fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains.

There is a reason 72% are overweight and the top 7 reasons for death are food related.

It is a jungle out there. We are being consumed by lifestyle. Sad.

I had a coworker who ate like every meal was a holiday. Breakfast: hot chocolate, pastry; Lunch: Fast Food hamburger, fries and milkshake; Afternoon Snack: candy bar. One of those items once in a while would have been okay but this was day in day out, meal after meal. I wondered what she ate on holidays to make it special.

One of the rules/suggestions I follow is to try and eat only food I prepare myself. That means cutting, chopping, grinding, seasoning myself, not zapped in the microwave or boiled in the provided plastic bag. It means eating whole fruit, not a prepacked 'fruit leather' or cup of fruit soaked in grape juice from the store.

In my working years I solved the problem by cooking every other evening and making at least three servings - one for tonight, one for another night, and one for tomorrow's lunch.

But, it takes a lot of time. The benefit is losing 25 pounds, having the smallest waist size since I my mid 30's, and better tasting food. And doing it all without having to fight hunger by exercising huge amounts of will-power that I really don't have.

I remember seeing photos of my parents, uncles and aunts in their 30's and 40's. It wasn't only that they weren't fat, they were lean. Yet, they ate hearty meals that included things like bread and butter, roast beef with gravy, pasta, chicken, sausage, veggies, fruit, cheese, etc.

One of the rules/suggestions I follow is to try and eat only food I prepare myself. That means cutting, chopping, grinding, seasoning myself, not zapped in the microwave or boiled in the provided plastic bag. It means eating whole fruit, not a prepacked 'fruit leather' or cup of fruit soaked in grape juice from the store.

In my working years I solved the problem by cooking every other evening and making at least three servings - one for tonight, one for another night, and one for tomorrow's lunch.

But, it takes a lot of time. The benefit is losing 25 pounds, having the smallest waist size since I my mid 30's, and better tasting food. And doing it all without having to fight hunger by exercising huge amounts of will-power that I really don't have.

I remember seeing photos of my parents, uncles and aunts in their 30's and 40's. It wasn't only that they weren't fat, they were lean. Yet, they ate hearty meals that included things like bread and butter, roast beef with gravy, pasta, chicken, sausage, veggies, fruit, cheese, etc.

All that cutting, grinding, chopping and cooking sounds like a lot of work, but I guess it pays off for you. One thing that has happened in the US since I was a kid is that portion sizes have gotten much bigger. We now have easy access to large portion size meals that are tempting because they are ultra-processed.

I haven't had a doughnut for years.... miss them a bit. Look at them in the grocery store but don't buy. :fingerwag:

Problem is, nearly everything is said to be bad for us, so it's a balancing act of my desire for:

• red meat vs cancer,
  • doughnuts vs fat,
  • sweets vs diabetes,
  • rice vs arsenic poisoning,
  • fish vs mercury poisoning,
  • fresh salad/vegies vs E. coli/salmonella

DW and I try to do the same thing. These days, my lunch typically is a stir-fry using veggies that I've just harvested from the garden within the last day (and often that same day). Sure, it takes a little time, but my view is that nothing is more important than my health, so I'll spend a little time if it keeps me healthy (it does help to be retired.......hard to do this when you are working full time). Plus, the food tastes great, and I don't really have to limit portion size. Years ago I ate more of the ultra-processed stuff..........corn chips were my favorite evening snack. But, I weaned myself off of them, along with a whole lot of other processed foods since then, and I no longer miss most of them. My health is good, my weight is good, so I plan to stick with the whole food eating plan.

One silver lining from the pandemic--I am eating much healthier. I use to get the occasional fast food meal--now I never eat fast food. I do some take out meals from restaurants but not very many. For the most part DH and I cook everything at home--lots of fruits and veggies. No junk food.

I haven't had a doughnut for years.... miss them a bit. Look at them in the grocery store but don't buy. :fingerwag:

Problem is, nearly everything is said to be bad for us, so it's a balancing act of my desire for:

• red meat vs cancer,
  • doughnuts vs fat,
  • sweets vs diabetes,
  • rice vs arsenic poisoning,
  • fish vs mercury poisoning,
  • fresh salad/vegies vs E. coli/salmonella

Only shark, swordfish, mackerel and tilefish are high in mercury. Other types are much lower. Check the numbers.

There are many more types of fish with high mercury, including Tuna, Orange Roughy, Grouper, Bluefish. See the numbers here https://www.fda.gov/food/metals-and-your-food/mercury-levels-commercial-fish-and-shellfish-1990-2012

Thanks for the chart. I’m concerned to see some of my favorite fish towards the bottom of that list. Snapper, lobster, redfish.

The chart doesn’t seem to indicate what mercury level crosses into dangerous/not recommended.

Please don’t take away my seafood.

The chart doesn’t seem to indicate what mercury level crosses into dangerous/not recommended. .

A lot of it depends on how often you eat certain fish species. If a species falls in the mid-range for mercury, you might be okay to eat a meal of it very occasionally, but certainly not on a regular basis. If it is in the lower range (sardines, squid, etc) you are probably fine to eat it as often as you like. The size/age of the fish you are eating is important also. Fish bioaccumulate more mercury as they age, so younger/smaller fish are generally safer to eat than very large/older fish.

We also have to remember that consuming fish and shellfish provides a lot of health benefits (Omega 3 fats, zinc, etc) that are generally lacking in the Western diet. So if you give up all seafood to avoid mercury, you are missing out on some pretty important nutritional benefits from eating seafood.

I eat almost exclusively highly processed foods like frozen pizza, spagetti and meatball from a can, beef stew from a can, instant oatmeal , and peanut butter. I am 6'6" and 175 pounds so not even slightly overweight. All of my blood work is consistantly good. I do bike several days a week and walk a decent amount. I don't eat healthy foods but I don't overeat and I move a good amount.

A lot of it depends on how often you eat certain fish species. If a species falls in the mid-range for mercury, you might be okay to eat a meal of it very occasionally, but certainly not on a regular basis. If it is in the lower range (sardines, squid, etc) you are probably fine to eat it as often as you like. The size/age of the fish you are eating is important also. Fish bioaccumulate more mercury as they age, so younger/smaller fish are generally safer to eat than very large/older fish.

We also have to remember that consuming fish and shellfish provides a lot of health benefits (Omega 3 fats, zinc, etc) that are generally lacking in the Western diet. So if you give up all seafood to avoid mercury, you are missing out on some pretty important nutritional benefits from eating seafood.

Thanks.

If it were up to me, I’d eat seafood every night. DW keeps me from that. But I can’t imagine giving up shellfish and certain fish.

Mercury in seafood is related to how high on the food chain a fish gets and how big it is.

So large fish like tuna that eat a lot of other fish accumulate a lot of mercury.

Supposedly the warmer the water, the more mercury is accumulated.

I'm even concerned with my ultra-pasteurized milk. I started alternating ultra-pasteurized organic milk in cardboard with regular-pasteurized non-organic milk in plastic. My ideal milk would be 1% or 2% regular-pasteurized organic milk in cardboard. I have no idea if it exists. And even then, I've read things about the coating in cardboard milk cartons being bad and I don't know whether all manufacturers fixed that.

Mercury-schmurckury. Remember when we used to play with balls of it as kids? I hated when you'd drop the ball in the classroom and it would explode into a million little balls. Then you'd have to get on your knees to gather back together. This was made more difficult by the asbestos dust it gathered.

True story... but I am just kidding about not worrying about it. Relax, I'm not an anti-mercury avoider. :D

I'm glad we are worrying about this stuff (mercury, lead, asbestos) for our grand-kids sake.

Mercury-schmurckury. Remember when we used to play with balls of it as kids? I hated when you'd drop the ball in the classroom and it would explode into a million little balls. Then you'd have to get on your knees to gather back together. This was made more difficult by the asbestos dust it gathered.

This song always reminds me of all the stuff we grew up with and somehow survived anyway:

Are you being serious? I've never experienced anything like that. The only encounters I'd had with mercury was with old thermometers. I broke one once, and my mom was like, "Don't touch that silver ball (on the floor now). It is very toxic! It would kill you if you ingested it! I will clean it up!" or something like that, and I'm thinking, "And you made me put that thing in my mouth??"

Last edited:
I do avoid spanish mackerel (a big fave in Japan), tilefish and swordfish, all of which are very high in mercury. I like swordfish, but I won't eat it anymore. I do eat regular Atlantic mackerel as it's not that high in mercury.

Smaller fish like sardines are generally safer. I believe that's why Omega 3 capsules are made with oil from sardines.

Last edited:
I mostly eat pretty well. I do LCHF and IF, and try to stay in the vicinity of keto. Lots of salad and veggies, which isn't a sacrifice because I really like them. But I'm also 64, which is about 35 years older than I thought I'd make it. So I'm definitely in the bonus years. I tend to eat what I want in the categories I do eat. I don't worry about red meat or iodine or organic or whatever, although I do mostly avoid processed carbs. That helps me keep my weight down below my previous obese level, which allows me to move and do and enjoy my life more. But I pretty much live on Diet Pepsi, and on occasion DW and I will drive out to our favorite greasy burger joint for burgers, onion rings, and home made ice cream. I'm pretty sure that nothing I do will keep me from dying, so I'm going to balance trying to be intelligent about eating with enjoying my remaining years. I'm not a big fan of religion, be it spiritual, political, or dietary. Moderation in moderation, that's my motto.

I'm even concerned with my ultra-pasteurized milk. I started alternating ultra-pasteurized organic milk in cardboard with regular-pasteurized non-organic milk in plastic. My ideal milk would be 1% or 2% regular-pasteurized organic milk in cardboard. I have no idea if it exists. And even then, I've read things about the coating in cardboard milk cartons being bad and I don't know whether all manufacturers fixed that.

I think places like Whole Foods carry low-pasturized non-homogenized (cream on top) milk. At least, they used to in California when I lived there. Depending upon the state (ig. California) and they come in thick lass bottles like the old days. You can purchase state-tested (for TB, etc) raw milk (Organic Pastures Dairy and Claravale Farm) in some stores as well if you're so inclined. I wouldn't dare drink regular farmers' milk raw (Ecoli, TB, etc) though.

Last edited:
Are you being serious? I've never experienced anything like that. The only counters I'd had with mercury was with old thermometers. I broke one once, and my mom was like, "Don't touch that silver ball (on the floor now). It is very toxic! It would kill you if you ingested it! I will clean it up!" or something like that, and I'm thinking, "And you made me put that thing in my mouth??"

I wasn't serious about the "schmurkury" part. Of course mercury must be avoided and handled with extreme care.

I WAS serious about playing with it. I grew up in a blue collar neighborhood. Very few dads were office workers. Maybe an HVAC dad came back with some thermostats to play with. They were a great source of copious mercury. Somehow I got a-hold of some from my dad, can't remember the source, but he was a plumber. He inhaled molten lead fumes for 45 years, so maybe he wasn't thinking about the danger of mercury. They played with it as kids too.

Sure, it sounds crazy now. But back then, you broke a thermometer and we'd just sweep it up. No haz-mat situation like today.

Procedures change. They changed a lot starting in the early 70s. I'm talking late 60s when we did our playing.

We also played with an "Atomic Energy Lab" set, which now is apparently the most dangerous toy ever produced. And Jarts were a staple at family picnics.

None of this is right, and I'm not looking to the Good Old Days. As a matter of fact, I worry it really screwed me up! Especially helping dad melt the lead. I spent many a days with him firing up his lead pot and leaning over the melted lead.

Yes, and when I see those pictures, I think about how a lot of them smoked cigarettes, which is an appetite suppressant.

Back
Top Bottom