convoluted car issue

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
A person I know owned a car with her boyfriend. The title was only in her name because he had DUIs. They split up. He disappeared with the car and its title. Now he is somewhere parts unknown, he got a ticket and she is getting chased to pay the ticket. She doesn't want the stinking car.

The police would not take a stolen car report because she does not have the title. She can't get a duplicate title (to report it stolen) because she does not know the VIN.

Sounds like I/she should talk to a lawyer. :)

Any ideas anyone? This is Wisconsin I am talking about.

Does she know the license plate number? With that and a small fee can she do a search to get the VIN?

Last edited:
Maybe call up the taxing authority to get the VIN? I assume you guys pay property tax on vehicles. Wouldn't division of motor vehicles also have a record of the vin on the title? Do they use computers? ;)

How about your car insurance company? They'd have the VIN number in their records.

I distinctly remember having to go outside and copy the VIN number in order to complete my insurance application.

I assume she didn't want the boyfriend with DUIs on the title because of insurance reasons. If she has insurance on the vehicle the insurance company should have the VIN and all other info that is needed.

Maybe call up the taxing authority to get the VIN? I assume you guys pay property tax on vehicles. Wouldn't division of motor vehicles also have a record of the vin on the title? Do they use computers? ;)

Come on - DMV with computers? This is Wisconsin! Good idea though - file for lost title.

I second the insurance should have the VIN. Also the bill of sale has it.

DMV and insurance company are good suggestions.

A third idea: In my area I have to have my car emissions checked annually. The postcard reminder always comes with the VIN on it.

A fourth idea: If she purchased the car recently, the previous owner or car lot may be able to provide the VIN or it may be on the purchase paperwork.

2Cor521

I’m surprised that no one has pointed out that the insurance company might see the issue as insurance fraud. She had better report the car as stolen and hope the DUI guy doesn’t drag her down with him.

tickets & fraud are the least of her problems. just imagine the dui'er getting into an accident and becoming libel for that.

How about your car insurance company? They'd have the VIN number in their records.

I distinctly remember having to go outside and copy the VIN number in order to complete my insurance application.

Ha! No insurance.

Part of the Catch-22. The DMV won't give us the VIN without the title, but we can't get the title without the VIN.

Sigh.

Ha! No insurance.

(gasp) (stunned) WOW... :crazy: I have gone "bare" before, but I at least got minimum liability.

So, if this guy gets in an accident, and the other driver wants millions for whiplash and/or whatever, she's toast.

How about the receipt or paperwork from when she bought it? My Toyota dealer typed the VIN number on all of those documents.

Another idea: How about loan documents?

Last edited:
I’m surprised that no one has pointed out that the insurance company might see the issue as insurance fraud. She had better report the car as stolen and hope the DUI guy doesn’t drag her down with him.

That is my goal, but so far the cops won't take a stolen vehicle report. But at least we can say we tried. I am still working on this, but they want proof of ownership (the title) before they will take the report.

I am worried about accidents and I am sure the former BF has no insurance.

Is there a state safety inspection required? Go to the garage that inspected it in the past and ask to check the records.

Is there a state safety inspection required? Go to the garage that inspected it in the past and ask to check the records.

Good point. I think the VIN is on many of my repair records. Martha, did she have the tires rotated at Costco or anything like that? They would have the VIN also.

2Cor521

Why is she being expected to pay the ticket?

I know that an owner can have liability in an accident even if they are not in the car, but isn't a traffic violation the responsibility of the person cited? If I get a ticket while driving a Hertz rental car, I pay, not Hertz. Might be worth pinning that one down, too.

Why is she being expected to pay the ticket?

I know that an owner can have liability in an accident even if they are not in the car, but isn't a traffic violation the responsibility of the person cited? If I get a ticket while driving a Hertz rental car, I pay, not Hertz. Might be worth pinning that one down, too.

Maybe we can contest the ticket (it might be too late), we just don't want more problems, potentially big, as Cantlogin mentioned.

I am not a lawyer, and don't play one on TV- or in this forum, but I believe that a moving violation has to be issued to a person, not a vehicle. Parking tickets can be issued to the vehicle, because it was physically present at the infraction. I would contact the issuing authority and provide them with proof that your client was not in that location at the time of the violation. That should quash the ticket, but getting her name off the title is going to be another challenge altogether. I agree with many of the other posts here- there has to be a record of the VIN on file somewhere, either from previous insurance coverage, service records, DMV, etc.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom