convoluted car issue

Uncle, the good news is that the car tabs expired a few months ago, so yes, hopefully the car will be off the road soon.

Uncle, the good news is that the car tabs expired a few months ago, so yes, hopefully the car will be off the road soon.

I drove around Nebraska for a year with expired license plates on my beat up junker car back in my stupid days and I never got pulled over, so don't count on it.

I kind of wonder why the police didn't impound the car when the boyfriend got the ticket originally, since he was driving improperly or something was wrong with the car (hence the ticket), the car was uninsured, the driver had previous DUI's and he has no documentation in the car with his name on it. Must be a smooth talker this guy.

Hopefully that's the case Martha..... But I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't just pick up a renewal form at a currency exchange, fill it out and sign her name and the currency exchange will go get new stickers/plates. The clerk at your local currency exchange isn't very fussy about details as long as you pay their fee.

Anyway...... Here in Illinois I would head to a state police station. Each has Sec of State Investigators on site who spend their lives checking records at used car dealers, following up on fraud cases involving automobile transfers, etc. Sort of the enforcement arm of the SOS and DMV. If your friend can get through to one of them, he/she might be interested.

But that's here in Illinois.... and from what I remember from my days as a communications tech with the Ill State Police many years ago. (Yes, I was the guy who calibrated the radar gun you wouldn't believe when the trooper showed you you were doing 78 in a 55! ;))

Most likely the car was found abandoned and impounded. Boyfriend probably just left it on the street someplace and the police towed it. Moving violations are drivers responsibilities, all others are the owners problem.

Pay the clerk and all will be well. :bat:

When I bought my Expedition in the fall of 1999, the dealership didnt do the registration paperwork properly...I think the registration date was all zeroes or something stupid like that.

So while I was issued a set of plates, the DMV never sent me a renewal notice and I was so busy I never thought of it. Until sometime in 2003 when a friend said "hey, you know your license plates expired two years ago?"

I guess it depends on how observant the local police are. When I first moved to CA from MA and had been here for about 3 weeks I got pulled over by a CHP who told me he'd seen my MA plates several times and that I needed to register the car in CA if I was going to be here for more than a few more days. He was probably BSing me about having seen the plates before and remembering it, but...

I did however go on to drive with the MA plates for almost a year without ever getting stopped again, until they expired.

MA did go through the trouble of finding me so they could send me an excise tax bill. I sent it back to them with "No thanks, losers" written on it.

Back
Top Bottom