Cool!

Welcome, George!

How exciting!  A celebrity!  :D

I read your site every day George - Hope you'll become an active poster here.

Dear Brewer, Dory and Sheryl,

Thank you sooooo much for the wonderful welcome. This forum showed up as a link in the service that I use to track my website, and I just had to take a peek!

Early retirement really gets to my imagination. If I had known that it would have been this good, I would have retired years ago! :D

Bye for now,
George

Welcome George,
I'm looking forward to your contributions.

It is really coming clear that living here in Santa Rosalia is really inexpensive.  If you follow my blog, you may know that I do not pay rent.  I am dry camped for free in my RV.  My style may not be what most retired people would like or be comfortable doing.  Most people might want to live in a house.

I have asked many people here in Santa Rosalia what it would cost to rent a small home or apartment.  The answer is $140 per month average.  Where I am going with this post is, that if a person with low income chose to live in a small town in Mexico, it might be done for less than $1,000 per month.

For the month of December, 2005, my total expense was $595.  So far during this month of January, 2006, my expense to date is $328.  If I paid $200 to rent a small house, it would be perhaps $800 per month total.

So, if a person was looking for early retirement, perhaps a small town in Mexico might be a way to go?

Bye for now,
George

Hey George, would you mind answering some basic, dumb questions from someone who has never dry-camped? I am interested in how you manage some basic stuff over the long term dry camp, specifically:

- What do you do with the grey and black water tanks? How long til they fill up?
- Can you take a shower every day, or do you run out of water too quickly? Do you have to stick with "navy showers" or can you be a little more generous with hot water?
- How long does the propane generally last?
- How hard is it to cook in the galley?
- Is it quiet enough to sleep in the rig?

Dear Brewer,

Let's talk about definitions, OK?  I call it dry camping when I am in a town.  In the forest, desert, etc., it is boondocking, because I am out in the boondocks (away from where people live).

One of my webpages is about Dumping holding tanks.  Take a peek at it, and this may help a bit.
http://vagabonders-supreme.net/DumpingTanks.htm

Taking a shower everyday is just too much for being out in the wilderness, unless you have a water source nearby.   Like a creek.  I always take very brief showers.  My water tank is only about 35 gallons. Gotta be careful.

Propane during the winter lasts about three weeks.  During the summer, maybe 4-5 weeks.

My kitchen is not a galley.  Be careful, you might hurt MsTioga's feelings! ;)  It is a full fledged kitchen, and is just plain wonderful for cooking.  I have prepared meals for four people in my kitchen, with no problems.

Quiet for sleeping?   Depends on where I camp.  Here in Santa Rosalia for example, it is soooooo quiet at nite.  Except maybe when the wind is blowing really hard.

Bye for now,
George

Thanks, George. I read your site every day and I love it.

George.....You Da Man!!!

My dad is looking at RVing (he has a fifth wheel type) once he sells his property. He doesn't need a bricks and mortar edifice to call home. He's looking forward to the day that the windshield is a painting that hangs in his house. I bookmarked your website so I can keep up with what you are doing, and I sent dad a link. Have fun.

George, I'm on to you; every day now... bookmarked. Great site and keep it up.. please. :)

Welcome George!!!
How cool it is that someone that I've been checking in on for the past year or so for RV info, shows up on the board that I check for FIRE info (so I can go RVing)....:)
Glad to have you here...
Adventuregirl

Welcome George. I have read your site also and enjoy it very much. I look forward to your postings also!

Dreamer

Dear dusk_to_dawn, Eagle43, Adventuregirl and Dreamer,

Thank you soooooo much for the wonderful words of welcome! :D

I am very interested in early retirement. I cannot do it (I am 68), but I may be able to share about retirement and help others to do it. Sharing is my favorite thing, as you may know. Sharing is the main thrust of all of my webpages.

Bye for now,
George

George,
Love your blog -- you are a wonderful sharing person, and your lifestyle is one lots of people here dream about pursuing. Good job on the Spanish, too... I may be walking around NY this week singing your little ditty: "Me llamo Pancho Villa, yo vengo gasolina... 8)

Welcome to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom