Coronavirus - Health aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be more concerned about contracting norovirus from a dirty tray table or unclean bathroom surfaces on the aircraft.

I'll bet all the drug and discount stores have sold out of the sub-two ounce containers of hand sanitizer...

I'll bet all the drug and discount stores have sold out of the sub-two ounce containers of hand sanitizer...

At the local supermarket there was a big empty spot on the shelf where you would normally find face masks in the drug store section.

Having been to China many times and traveled throughout China. I think China is trying to downplay the virus. I think given the lock down in the area of the virus origination the fact they are building hospitals in a week and a half in the province.

This virus started out in a seafood outdoor market at the end of December. It took them almost 2 weeks to shut down the market. Those places are packed with shoppers, thousands pass through everyday. This virus can take up to a week for patients to get symptoms, lots of time to infect others. I really hope they can contain it before it gets to widespread, but hence I really doubt it.

The infection's lethality is unknown, maybe unknowable at this time. Obviously it is making many very sick. From an economic and human standpoint, this is awful.

On a personal level, my DIL is a lung transplant recipient. If he catches it...

You must be recalling the pneumatic plague in the late 80's - triggered by the savings and loan scandal. The virus was spread by drive-thru tellers. ;)

Personally I worry about the Teutonic plague, but I'm mostly French/English/Scottish, so I'm probably not that susceptible.

Every good boy deserves favor

Roy G. Biv

Red right returning

It's a mnemonic plague.

I really hope this all dies out soon and with minimal loss of human life. Unfortunately, I am not optimistic. I think this is as close as we have come to a pandemic in my lifetime.

I think the Chinese reported 2,774 cases and 80 deaths at their last update. That's just under 3 percent. When the mortality rate approaches that of Ebola, I will be concerned.

I think the Chinese reported 2,774 cases and 80 deaths at their last update. That's just under 3 percent. When the mortality rate approaches that of Ebola, I will be concerned.

At least 9 million people get the flu each year in the US.

At least 12,000 people die from the flu each year in the US.

Yes, the coronavirus has a higher mortality rate than the flu and the number of cases is growing, but (a) the relative number of cases is still quite small, and (b) generally speaking we know how to deal with viruses like this in terms of public health responses and disease treatment.

It's a news story, sure, but it's not anywhere near the end of the world as we know it. And I feel fine.

Well, here we go! Hold on!
Woke up this morning to see the Dow futures down 427 points.

China population is currently around 1,435,000,000 people. If 1 in 10 get the coronavirus, and 1% die, China is looking at about 1,435,000 deaths in the near future.

If my numbers are correct, looks like China has about 10,231,550 deaths per year now without the virus. So I guess they can handle another million or so.

Once the population gets that large, the numbers are amazing.

Last edited:
Who would have guessed that interest rates would go down? That is why you keep diversified. After today, I bet my bond and bond like holdings are up more than equities YTD.

Time to look at stocks that benefit from this. I did a play on APT once I saw all the masks being worn. What others could be on radar?

Time to look at stocks that benefit from this. I did a play on APT once I saw all the masks being worn. What others could be on radar?

Casket makers?

I’ve heard third hand accounts that China’s gov’t tried to downplay this epidemic early on in order to not interfere with lunar new year’s. Same reports claim China is still grossly under reporting infection and fatality records. Fatality rates seem to be below 1% for the young and healthy but 50% for the infirm.

So bad, but still not as bad as The Spanish Flu.

Looks like it has started. Below a link to info in real time on the spread of the virus. Two weeks of being contagious with zero symptoms. This increases the potential vectors for spreading the contagion exponentially.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

If what you say were true, the virus would have spread with exponentially more cases by now. This is not Ebola. The history for comparison should be SARS and MERS. There will be a lot more cases, but not a lot of deaths, based on initial reports. Calling this a pandemic is not justified by what we have seen so far.

I'm supposed to fly next week. I have my N-95 masks thanks to the fires in Northern California. I guess I should find some hand sanitizer that will pass the TSA rules. At this point, I intend to take my chances and go.

Not sure what to believe on all this. The virus is certainly making headlines. Even Marketwatch blaming a market drop on it....
I've read over an over again that the masks do zero at preventing the transmission and they should only be worn by those already infected... Doctors where them to prevent mouth bore viruses from the DR to the patient. NOT the other way around. So, when I walk through LaGuardia and see all those peeps wearing masks, am I to assume they are infected with something?
I've also read, this more like flu than a deadly ebola like virus. Meaning, yeah some with compromised immune systems can die, but most will get sick and then recover... Just like the flu.

Not sure if its time to load up on ammo and supplies and head for the backyard bunker... That last part is a joke guys... Please on don't red flag me...

U.S. flu statistics:

I'm not minimizing the coronavirus effects, but I think we should consider how the flu impacts the U.S. alone. It's my understanding CV can lead to SARS, but not sure how many cases have done so.

"So far, 8,200 people have died and 140,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.
"The flu season began early this year and took off aggressively," added Schaffner. "It began prominently in the southeastern states but quickly spread. So far, there is no sign that the momentum of the annual epidemic is slowing."

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-people-died-flu-year/story?id=67754182

Not sure if its time to load up on ammo and supplies and head for the backyard bunker... That last part is a joke guys... Please on don't red flag me...

Might not be something to joke about. Even if the virus does not prove to be a pandemic, the panic in the short term by the average person could be bad.

Many people die of flu each year and no one freaks out.
The markets have risen very fast since October and the traders did need an excuse to take profits...….that's what I am thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom