Cost of a teacher?

I understand what you're saying and largely agree. Most of what I've said here relates to my DW specifically. I think she's underpaid because I believe society places too low a value on the contribution good teachers make. And, yes, she could go elsewhere and make more but, along the lines of what you've said, she's good at what she does, she enjoys it and she finds it rewarding.

One of the problems with the statement that 'she could go elsewhere and make more'... is that can be said of a lot of people... but that does not change the fact that they have accepted their salary and benefits as good enough for them...

As an example... I was in Big 8 accounting, which is now Big 4... I am good enough to have become a partner... but the cost of getting there to ME was to great... so I make a lot less money where I am... but I am happier... am I underpaid:confused: No, not for the job I do... could I get paid more if I did X or Y... yes.. is it worth it:confused: NO...

I also think I could have made a good lawyer.... and made even more money... but chose not to... you wife made a choice based on all costs and rewards and decided to be a teacher at the salary given... so, she is not underpaid... can she make more... sure... but that is a different job with different costs and rewards... so you can not compare just the salary part...

Just my opinion....

what i would like to know if the attrition rate of teachers by gender for the first 5 years. all but one teacher that i have personally known (not the ones that were my teachers) bailed before 3 years. finance dude's pops at $68k/yr doesn't sound too shabby. but, i observed, especially where i lived last in utah, teaching is something women do until they find a man. at least that is what i have observed. may be some utah cultural effects in there as well. it would just be interesting to know the attrition stats.

the one who hasn't bailed is my BIL, who makes $38k/yr, been teaching for like 5 years, dept head, wrestling coach and asst football coach.

what i would like to know if the attrition rate of teachers by gender for the first 5 years. all but one teacher that i have personally known (not the ones that were my teachers) bailed before 3 years. finance dude's pops at $68k/yr doesn't sound too shabby. but, i observed, especially where i lived last in utah, teaching is something women do until they find a man. at least that is what i have observed. may be some utah cultural effects in there as well. it would just be interesting to know the attrition stats.

the one who hasn't bailed is my BIL, who makes $38k/yr, been teaching for like 5 years, dept head, wrestling coach and asst football coach.

Well, that was the end of a 35 year career, with a master's degree in education...........;)

Once teachers make it 10 years or so, they "stay in" for the pension and healthcare benies, even though a lot of them get "burned out" at the end. It's sad, but my parents know a LOT of teachers just going through the motions until they can retire and get the pension............:(

Well, that was the end of a 35 year career, with a master's degree in education...........;)

Once teachers make it 10 years or so, they "stay in" for the pension and healthcare benies, even though a lot of them get "burned out" at the end. It's sad, but my parents know a LOT of teachers just going through the motions until they can retire and get the pension............:(

Some of that has to do with teaching being part acting. As DW tells me, each class is a new performance where you have to teach the same material to a new group. Even though you've been teaching it for years and could do it in your sleep, as soon as that bell rings you are "on", as in prepared, motivated, excited about and able to explain the material to all students in the class and do it in a way that engages them and keeps their interest. And you have to give a great performance even if you are bored, or tired or have a headache. She loves it but says it is draining. She was thrilled to be given AP Calculus after having taught only Algebra II for many years.

Back
Top Bottom